Halloween

Started by besilarius, September 10, 2019, 05:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

O0

The doors broken open from the inside really sells it! (And one off the hinges!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes, one of the more spookier stories from my time working there. Sometime I'll relate my own experiences form that place. Everybody who ever worked there has some kind of spooky story to tell. Logic and Common Sense tells me it was just what they suspected it to be, local kids playing tricks on people. But I knew the Security Head, a no-nonsense Irish Cop from Boston and there's no way he would've backed off if he thought it was just kids yanking his chain. The guy was such a hard-ass that he bought Radar Guns for his security staff so they could write tickets to employees who violated the 15 m.p.h. speed limit on grounds. He would've kept on until he got SOMEBODY for this. The fact he decided to leave this shit alone is good enough for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Point blank - are you a believer?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

The spookynatural, I assume.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Ninety percent 'no' until I'm alone in a dark room in a house that creaks. And it's night outside. With the wind blowing. And a big moth begins to circle around the only light on. Then I'm very flexible in my beliefs. And sometimes, accidental in my briefs.  :coolsmiley:

besilarius

Not a Halloween story, but a spooky one.
After Yorktown was sunk at Midway, a draft of the crew was sent to the new Yorktown, CV10, for espirit de corps and to get the crew inspired. One of the heroes of the first Yorktown, was Chief Kleinsmith.  He kept boiler One going after the dive bomber attack knocked the other five offline and cracked the casing of One, and died when the torpedo attack hit the ship later that day.
After the shakedown cruise of CV10, there was some necessary maintenance done in one of the boilers.  Late at night two boiler techs were scraping firesides inside the boiler.  It is incredibly tight and uncomfortable inside a boiler and they were sweating.
A guy came to the entrance port and handed them a pitcher of ice water.  This was a silver pitcher from the wardroom, and the guy said something like, "You guys can use this."
One of the two kids took a long swig from the pitcher and passed it to the other one.  This fellow was all white and shivering, "Was that Smitty?"  "Ohmigawd, yes."
They climbed out and saw that no one was around.  Their chief had some choice words about sailors that let themselves get spooked so easily.
It could have just been a shipmate who pinched a pitcher of water from the wardroom and walked it away.  But why take the chance of getting in trouble with the silver pitcher, when they were others on the messdecks?  And why didn't he let the two kids get a look at his face?
Ever after, Boiler One was the most reliable on the ship and widely considered haunted by Chief Kleinsmith.

https://www.navalhistory.org/2010/06/04/chief-water-tender-acting-appointment-charles-kleinsmith
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

^I've read and seen tv shows on that story.

Ok Slash so then wtf was going on in that building in your story above? Could it just have been teenage jerks causing the 'issues' that whole time?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Certainly possible but no one I heard ever found any sign of a way in or out or anyone entering or leaving the building. The building was 3 stories with fire escapes at either end but all other entrances were on the first floor. The building was completely empty and only Security had keys to it. You wouldn't think kids would be that sophisticated to cover their tracks so well. So, Homeless squatting? Maybe but the place was 7 miles south of town in the country with lots of empty buildings easier to get into than the old Med. building. And it was odd that only that one part of the whole building was where the figures were seen. And nobody could ever get a good look to see who or what the figures actually were or looked like, other than Human-like shapes.

The place has an interesting history. It was an Army Air Force training base during WWII, Carlstrom Field, maybe WWI as well. It was the perfect place to teach flying, surrounded by nothing but open fields for miles, you didn't even need a landing strip.

A number of RAF pilots came over from Britain to learn to fly there. The local cemetery has a section called, 'The British Cemetery' where the remains of about 2 dozen of them who died from accidents or illness are buried. Every year on Memorial Day the locals fly a huge Union Jack there in their honor.

After the war the State of Florida took it over and made it into a state Mental Hosp. that operated for 50+ years. At the 50th year celebration they had a, 'fly-in' by local pilots landing on the old air landing strip. Predictably, one of the planes crashed and the pilot was killed. That kind of thing happen a lot there.

The whole place is owned privately now and completely empty.... except for old ghosts.

Gusington

Not sure if I've told you this but my in laws are a retired doctor and nurse, working from the mid 1960s until about 2010. They have worked in almost every hospital in NYC in every conceivable environment, so to say they have 'seen some stuff' would be a massive understatement. They are both extremely grounded, 'show me' types. My mother in law is the toughest old bird I have ever met and my father in law is hands down the smartest man I have ever met. My mother in law began her nursing career at Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital ~1964. And you know what? Both claim that ghosts are real, they have seen them, and there is even one in their house...which I lived in with my family for 8 months and have been in, alone, 100s of times in the last 20+ years.

I still have trouble wrapping my brain around that, since I have never seen anything that could even remotely be described as a ghost, and I am terrified of death.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I am not afraid of death, but certainly in no hurry to get there. I do fear becoming crippled or unable to care for myself and being a burden on others. That would be worse than death.

I've never seen a ghost either but have had some very odd, unexplainable things happen in the places I've worked. If there is such a thing as being haunted, I imagine Bellevue Hosp. would be it. Probably much larger than the place I worked with much worse patients. We had some bad ones but no Forensic or Criminally Insane patients.

Interestingly, everybody I know from whatever background or belief believes our old facility is haunted and nobody ever dismisses ghost stories from there. I often used to think the worst job in America had to be the nightwatch man out there.  :hide:  I'll tell some more stories in the future.

JasonPratt

This reminds me, my brother (visiting London with his wife and daughters) visited the Imperial War Museum this past week (no girls, they went elsewhere ;) ), and on his second visit he reported (if I understood him correctly) that the Museum used to be the Bethlehem Asylum, i.e. the original "Bedlam".

All things considered, I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if that place is ultra-haunted.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 08, 2019, 10:27:51 PM
Ninety percent 'no' until I'm alone in a dark room in a house that creaks. And it's night outside. With the wind blowing. And a big moth begins to circle around the only light on. Then I'm very flexible in my beliefs. And sometimes, accidental in my briefs.  :coolsmiley:

Yeah.  It's all stoic skepticism and scientific method until you wake up in pitch black unable to move, feeling somebody sitting on your bed next to you.   :o
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao