Halloween

Started by besilarius, September 10, 2019, 05:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

I have that and its sequel (with Richard Anderson of all people as the villain?!) on DVD.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Slash are you allowed to tell us the name of that place?

I should add that my mother in law started at Bellevue in the criminal psych ward, just a couple of years before the mental health reforms went through.

Old skool. In the worst way, I would imagine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

G. Pierce Wood Memorial Hospital. Wood was some kind of Cracker politician with pull in Tallahassee back in the day. About 200 acres total in size.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I'm going to Google the crap out of that when I get the chance.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Next time you're down, maybe they'll let you visit. It is privately owned now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

What do they use it for now?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Tours, if they have any marketing bone in their bodies at all.

Especially during this season.  >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Nothing. Completely empty. Jason, that's spot-on. The place would make either an excellent ATV track or Ghost Walk Tour. Or both. "The Head-less Four-Wheeler".  :wow:

JasonPratt

Appropo of nothing (or rather of reading the 2nd edition of Missing 411: Hunters for October), I wondered at lunch today whether and/or to what degree architectural resonances are screwing with our brains -- basically infrasound from air harmonizing over surfaces, and collecting together into the equivalent of rogue waves.

We know infrasound resonances do happen off architecture; we know infrasound can mess with the human mind and emotions; there's quite a bit of folk anthropology evidence that wind in forest branches and leaves can drive people unexpectedly crazy. (This is one of the naturalistic explanations for some of the M411 cases, along with natural architectural resonance off granite boulders, cliff faces, etc.) There hasn't been a lot of study done yet on the effects.

For a geeky fictional example, see the first Patlabor theatrical film; the villain's plan involved designing a structure that would resonance upon arrival of a reasonably strong typhoon, causing an infrasound signal to trigger computer viruses. A more real-life example involves mounting evidence that the Chinese government has been testing infrasound weapons on its population and on Western state department workers.

This could go so far as to account for swinging cables, light objects (like cans) being thrown around, and chairs grinding across floors. By the same principles, tectonic shifts generating even minor earthquakes could converge into something like a highly magnified pinpoint effect -- capable of blapping a door off its hinges, for example, without affecting anything else nearby to the same degree.

Thus, the theory would go rather far accounting for the weirdness in that demonic-haunting video series I posted upthread, including audio hallucinations being triggered (perhaps) in our brains due to infrasound messing with our instincts. It would also account for a number of Missing 411 cases where the victim just spontaneously starts walking straight at high speed into weirdly far or inaccessible areas and dies of exhaustion. (It would definitely not account for some of the weirder cases, but more than one thing can be true at once. Just because some people die from bear attacks does not mean others don't die from cougar attacks for example.)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

There are all kinds of Spooky out there apparently.  ;D

besilarius

A spooky tale of glowing wounds following the battle of Shiloh.

http://civilwarsaga.com/the-glowing-wounds-of-the-battle-of-shiloh/

It is interesting that part of the answer is planarium worms.
Chuck Jones, the animator of Road Runner and Bugs Bunny, in his autobiography compared producers at Warner Brothers to planarium worms.  In his view the worms were a higher life form, as they "seek light".
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

^I like that. On the Civil War tip, one of the spookiest places I've ever been is the Gettysburg battlefield. Should be on every Grog's to-visit list, it's the definition of hallowed ground.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Here in the South (might also be true in the North, at least in rural areas), we have a tradition of doing ghost tours in Civil War cemeteries, with hosts in period costumes.

Always wanted to take the girls on one of those -- it isn't meant to be a "haunted house/trail" kind of thing (we have plenty of those, too, including at least one that I know has been running each year for about 40 years), but it's meant to be evocative as well as historical.

Doing a more epic one of those at night in Shiloh ought to be... interesting.