Unboxing new games

Started by bayonetbrant, June 05, 2014, 05:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 12, 2014, 06:23:41 PM
I love the smell of manuals\rule books (is that odd?). Plus looking at the sheets of counters is a buzz in itself.

I'm a "Book Sniffer" too.

When I pick up a new book or manual, the first thing I do is plant my nose right in it's crack.   :D

;)

bayonetbrant

I'm going to make the dudes at the show start taking pics of the games they're all buying to share, too :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I picked up a handful of ziploc games at Origins.

1 of them is Border War - Angola Raiders

It's a half-size ziploc with a decent number of components inside.  System rules, game-specific rules, small countersheet, map, bag for pieces, cards. 

The only bummer is that the front/back card stock has no useful gameplay refs printed on the backs of them.  Seems like a waste of space for otherwise purely decorative cardboard.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TacticalWargames

Hehehe...

First time I fell for the smell was the old sticker magazines. Think I had a dinosaur one at the time. If the smell could be bottled I'd buy some.

With wargames I love looking at the counter sheets aswell.

Quote from: Nefaro on June 14, 2014, 05:20:45 AM
I love the smell of manuals\rule books (is that odd?). Plus looking at the sheets of counters is a buzz in itself.

I'm a "Book Sniffer" too.

When I pick up a new book or manual, the first thing I do is plant my nose right in it's crack.   :D

;)

MengJiao

Same here.  I got Hoplite (just came out).  Incredible ink and glossy paper smell.  I would do some pics, but my wife took my camera gear to offload her own copies of my photos of our vacation.  AARs and photos some time in the relatively near future.  For now I will say:

Tanagra: The Spartans and allies rolled some odd rolls on their first advance whereas the opposing Athenians rolled perfectly and mostly advanced at a run with perfect timing and outflanked and/or crashed into their foes and they are now way ahead on position in and cohesion even if their Theban cavalry is mostly already trotting to safety.  It's a simple game in many ways, but as the 15th installment of the Great Battles of History series, the rules are very tight and well-adapted to hoplite warfare.   

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 18, 2014, 11:38:53 AM

Same here.  I got Hoplite (just came out).  Incredible ink and glossy paper smell.

Heracules relaxing after opening some games:

Nefaro

Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 18, 2014, 06:04:01 AM
Hehehe...

First time I fell for the smell was the old sticker magazines. Think I had a dinosaur one at the time. If the smell could be bottled I'd buy some.

I recently broke out the Silent War manual (v1.1 reprint?), thinking of starting a sub war campaign.  It's paper smells much like that of the old AD&D hardback rulebooks' paper. 

Most manuals have their own unique scent but this one is pretty damn close.  Funny that I can remember how those old ones smell.  I've not had them in over twenty years.

TacticalWargames

I can also remember the smell for Traveler rule book. Loved that book. Never played the RPG though. Just imagined what it would be like playing.

Quote from: Nefaro on June 18, 2014, 01:09:12 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 18, 2014, 06:04:01 AM
Hehehe...

I recently broke out the Silent War manual (v1.1 reprint?), thinking of starting a sub war campaign.  It's paper smells much like that of the old AD&D hardback rulebooks' paper. 

Most manuals have their own unique scent but this one is pretty damn close.  Funny that I can remember how those old ones smell.  I've not had them in over twenty years.

Rekim

The Silent War CG is great fun. In my experience it is also exceedingly difficult to succeed at. If you don't manage quarterly quotas you get sacked. I usually have a tough time making past the first quarter  ::)

There is a spreadsheet of the Allied Pacific sub OB available in the downloads dept for Silent War over at BGG. My enjoyment of the CG took a big bump once I started using it.

Ubercat

Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 18, 2014, 08:54:51 PM
I can also remember the smell for Traveler rule book. Loved that book. Never played the RPG though. Just imagined what it would be like playing.

LoL  +1

I did, however, roll up the career backgrounds for a few characters, all while drooling over maps of the spinward marches and imagining what it would be like to operate a free trader between all those worlds.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

Quote from: Rekim on June 18, 2014, 09:52:50 PM

The Silent War CG is great fun. In my experience it is also exceedingly difficult to succeed at. If you don't manage quarterly quotas you get sacked. I usually have a tough time making past the first quarter  ::)

There is a spreadsheet of the Allied Pacific sub OB available in the downloads dept for Silent War over at BGG. My enjoyment of the CG took a big bump once I started using it.

I've been wanting to start a campaign game, but that will be out on the table for quite awhile if I do.  Gotta time it right, in between other gaming engagements on it.

I'll check out the OB on the Geek before I do.  8)

TacticalWargames

I remember in White Dwarf (before it became a GW sales mag) they had a Traveler scenario which had Cthulu in it, about a abandoned space station. Really wanted to play it. I'm going to check and see if it's still at my Mums in the attic somewhere. Haven't seen it since I was 13!

Quote from: Ubercat on June 18, 2014, 10:03:33 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on June 18, 2014, 08:54:51 PM

LoL  +1

I did, however, roll up the career backgrounds for a few characters, all while drooling over maps of the spinward marches and imagining what it would be like to operate a free trader between all those worlds.

bob48

Oh, blimey, I remember the 'old' WD mags. And the original 40K 'Rogue Trader' rule book with home made terrain and stuff.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

PanzersEast

Move from Digital to real thing.... The Republic of Rome Valley Games version.

PanzersEast