Best Looking Counters

Started by bayonetbrant, February 02, 2012, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Tabletop wargamers love them some bee-yoo-tiful components. 

What are some of your favorite counters?  They gotta look good, but they have to be functional, as well.

Avalanche Press, Soldier Kings

Lock'n'Load: Band of Heroes

And just about anything John Cooper does

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

Fantasy Flight Games has the best "chits" but they rarely do counters (they prefer plastic minis). I actually really liked the D&D circular monster counters/chits that came in the 4th edition Monster Vault.

GMT does decent counters, but I always think they could do a little bit better as far as art and clarity.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

J P Falcon

spelk

gabeeg

I have always liked Lock and Load games counters, very nice.  Those Victoria Cross II chits look pretty sexy also...
Kind Regards,
Harry

mirth

The Fighting Formations counters are pretty nice. GMT usually does a good job with it's counters.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

TheCommandTent

I really enjoy the Conflict of Heroes: Awaken the Bear counters.  Great graphics, very functional, and very sturdy.

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

I never could get the hang of the Conflict of Heroes counters
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 08:57:40 PM

Not sure what you mean?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

Quote from: SCDJ on February 02, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
Not sure what you mean?

I don't like the way they photographed minis from isometric views and then slapped 'em on counters.  I don't mind some 3d-effects, but I think those go a bit too far.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 02, 2012, 09:59:59 PM
Quote from: SCDJ on February 02, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
Not sure what you mean?

I don't like the way they photographed minis from isometric views and then slapped 'em on counters.  I don't mind some 3d-effects, but I think those go a bit too far.

Ah I see what you are getting at.  I don't have alot of experience with true board wargames so I am missing out on some of the alternatives to this type of counter I think.

Jack Nastyface

Desktop publishing and computer graphics have completely revolutionized the map / counter portion of wargaming.

Here are some of my favorite examples from by-gone years:

Car Wars - Steve Jackson Games
Loved the colors and textures...the paint clouds almost float off the map of Midville.

Beat to Quarters - Command PerspectivesThis very little known table-top game feature extensive (exhausting?) rules for ship-to-ship combat in the age of sail...but it included some beautiful (at the time) counters (about 1/1200 scale) so you could play sans minis.  For a young geek who had only seen the tiny WS&IM counters, these were simply amazing.

Gunslinger - Avalon Hill
Nothing special, graphically speaking, but the individual characters really evoked a sense of playing in the Old West genre.   Much better than the lack-luster "top down" counters from TSR's Boothill.

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

bob48

The nice big chunky CoH counters are good, and, once you get used to 'em, LnL's WaW counters. Again, LnL's White Star Rising ones are excellent, and at 3/4" square, much easier to read the info.

However, my favorites, by far, are those from GMT's Normandy '44. The division badges add such a lot of flavour to them.

There is a game being develped by Compass called Combat Patrol which has some very nice 1" square counters representing individual soldiers, although its not clear if this game will ever make it into print.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

Liberty Roads has some awesome counters w/ unit insignia on them

bob48

Damn - I wanted Liberty Roads, but its out of print (as far as I know) and getting a copy aint easy.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!