Best Looking Counters

Started by bayonetbrant, February 02, 2012, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 01, 2014, 02:24:36 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 01, 2014, 01:25:38 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 01, 2014, 09:30:13 AM
I really like the counters in Picket Duty. I wish I had time to get into this but there's at least two games in the queue before it right now...which is just as well since the newer/updated rules are yet to come out.

Picket Duty was the first game I thought about for this thread.  B_C beat me to it.  :)

Beautiful counters.  The Destroyer 'map' is also pretty bitchin'.

I assume you're keeping an eye out for the newer rules as well?  Or have you tried it out?

I played Picket Duty last month after receiving it.  Or maybe it was in late November.

Despite needing a couple rules clarifications, I managed to figure everything else out okay.  It's pretty fun.  I liked it more than their B-29 Superfortress game.  Not having to roll on an assortment of navigation tables & such lets you cut right to the fun.

As with these B-17 QotS style solitaire games, it's all about rolling your way through the tables with the occasional decision to make.  So you can pretty much just follow along with the turn sequence in the rulebook, and likewise make your way through the charts book in order. 

Despite the rulebook needing some clarifications here & there, I managed to figure most of it out.  I found the gameplay more interesting because it felt like I was making more decisions, if only because there were more gun positions to allocate (and fighters attacking you per wave, generally).  It also has more damage related decisions to make since you have a limited amount of damage controls teams & personnel to allocate.  I didn't get too heavily damaged during the couple week single patrol I did so I haven't experienced a real hectic time of it yet.  You also post some of your officers to specific compartments and they can give bonuses to certain things. 

I'm looking forward to playing it again soon and doing a campaign with multiple patrols.  I have some other solitaire games lined up for table space but it'll come back around before long. 

bob48

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 01, 2014, 05:01:16 PM
Bob - start here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd168b1/1892

Thanks Brant, I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Seeing those full counter sheets and maps has got me salivating.

I wonder if this will published by Compass Games?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Mad Russian

Those counters are insane!!! WAY TOO BUSY for these old eyes!

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Bison

Yeah I'm with MR on the busy looking nature of the counters.  Maybe I've been conditioned over the years of gaming, but why are the Russians green and not a red color?

Bison

I like the Combat Commander counters.

Mad Russian

Yeah, you got to love a game where the designer puts himself in as a corporal.

I must be way in the minority, I want my counters to be functional. If they get too busy with watermarks, 95 factors, etc. I personally think they lose their functionality. I am here to play the game. I want it to be the best possible game system it can be. Counter art ranks exactly dead last in things I'm concerned with.

Good Hunting.

MR

TacticalWargames

Oh YES!! I had Car Wars, Truck Stop and Sunday Drivers...loved those counters!!. I hope one day we get a PC version thats wego\top down.

I'm not keen on Conflict of heroes counters nor the side view of Fighting Formations. Panzer Grenadier do some good looking counters as have GMT Panzer and LockNLoad games.

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on February 06, 2012, 07:51:26 PM
Desktop publishing and computer graphics have completely revolutionized the map / counter portion of wargaming.

Here are some of my favorite examples from by-gone years:

Car Wars - Steve Jackson Games
Loved the colors and textures...the paint clouds almost float off the map of Midville.

[

MengJiao

Quote from: Bison on February 09, 2014, 11:13:19 PM

I'm just now starting to play some Combat Command.  For me it works pretty well in solitaire, though since all the stuff I ordered is arriving in reverse order (the C3i magazine, the Fall of the West, Mediterreanean and meanwhile Europe is only just now leaving Orlando.) many aspects of the game are subject to some extreme improvisations.  Only one thing is clear so far: with enough tanks and some extra cards, the French can overrun the Italians in a small Tunisian eggplant farm pretty fast.

Which reminds me: the tank rules are exactly the kind of clunky rules I love in a game.

Dolan50

For the Napoleonic Wars, I've always liked the map and counters by Operational Studies Group.

A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Nefaro

I just got The Lion And The Sword (Vae Victis) in the mail.

The counter art is beautiful, especially for something that qualifies as a 'ziplock' game.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Dolan50

A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 03, 2014, 08:39:01 AM
Quote from: Bison on February 09, 2014, 11:13:19 PM

I'm just now starting to play some Combat Command.  For me it works pretty well in solitaire, though since all the stuff I ordered is arriving in reverse order (the C3i magazine, the Fall of the West, Mediterreanean and meanwhile Europe is only just now leaving Orlando.) many aspects of the game are subject to some extreme improvisations.  Only one thing is clear so far: with enough tanks and some extra cards, the French can overrun the Italians in a small Tunisian eggplant farm pretty fast.

Which reminds me: the tank rules are exactly the kind of clunky rules I love in a game.

The tanks roll in.  I borrowed the Char1bs from my ATS games.  This is a scenario from fall of the west:

Mad Russian

bayonetbrant

I like that CC gives you acre-sized hexes to fit the counter in, and it's not just skyscraper stacks of them with all the modifier / admin counters in the piles like the OCS games
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers