Questions for DVG Warfighter

Started by JudgeDredd, November 05, 2014, 07:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Just thought I'd start a thread about questions on Warfighter. Anyone can post and respond.

So my first few looks through the rules, Dan's normal easy ruleset is throwing me a teensy weensie bit.

First off - Water Bottle Equipment. Now I have all 3 expansions and on the water bottle kit (which allows you to draw 3 cards I believe in any soldier turn) it states "Only 2 per soldier"...well I only have 2 in total - and as I said - I have all 3 expansions. Perhaps t's a future thing where other expansion packs will include more - I don't know. It just sounded to me like a pointless rule on the card...I do only have two.

Secondly - Location cards. This has stumped me and I keep reading and then looking at the sample game and back again. So the Location cards are mixed in with the Action cards. That initially seemed strange. So - what goes on?

• If you have a Location card in your action cards, you can play it with no cost? In the example in the book, the player plays the Trail Location card at the beginning of Turn 3 but it goes on to say the player uses his first Action...but I've read elsewhere in the manual that you use an action to play a location card
  • If you don't have a location card, you can (must?) spend an action to take the first one from the deck of Action cards
  • If the mission has a recon value, you can go through the deck and pick one...anyone? Can you go through the whole deck?
  • When having to discard Action cards (for example to enter a location) can you discard Location cards you hold?

So I'm a tad confused with the Location cards.

I'm totally at a loss for equipping my soldiers. That isn't a problem with the game. That's just a tactical thing - trying to determine weapons, equipment and skills whilst keeping it within the soldiers weight threshold and within the mission resource points! It's a task that took me almost 30 minutes last night - just for two soldiers and even now I'm second guessing the loadout!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Oh - another one.

I have to destroy a house (Jungle) and it's got to be through explosives....I'm presuming anything with an explosive value I carry I can use to perform the demolition?
Alba gu' brath

PanzersEast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 07:46:50 AM
Just thought I'd start a thread about questions on Warfighter. Anyone can post and respond.

So my first few looks through the rules, Dan's normal easy ruleset is throwing me a teensy weensie bit.

First off - Water Bottle Equipment. Now I have all 3 expansions and on the water bottle kit (which allows you to draw 3 cards I believe in any soldier turn) it states "Only 2 per soldier"...well I only have 2 in total - and as I said - I have all 3 expansions. Perhaps t's a future thing where other expansion packs will include more - I don't know. It just sounded to me like a pointless rule on the card...I do only have two.

Secondly - Location cards. This has stumped me and I keep reading and then looking at the sample game and back again. So the Location cards are mixed in with the Action cards. That initially seemed strange. So - what goes on?

• If you have a Location card in your action cards, you can play it with no cost? In the example in the book, the player plays the Trail Location card at the beginning of Turn 3 but it goes on to say the player uses his first Action...but I've read elsewhere in the manual that you use an action to play a location card
  • If you don't have a location card, you can (must?) spend an action to take the first one from the deck of Action cards
  • If the mission has a recon value, you can go through the deck and pick one...anyone? Can you go through the whole deck?
  • When having to discard Action cards (for example to enter a location) can you discard Location cards you hold?

So I'm a tad confused with the Location cards.

I'm totally at a loss for equipping my soldiers. That isn't a problem with the game. That's just a tactical thing - trying to determine weapons, equipment and skills whilst keeping it within the soldiers weight threshold and within the mission resource points! It's a task that took me almost 30 minutes last night - just for two soldiers and even now I'm second guessing the loadout!

1. Because of the limited cards, they have to be "shared".. meaning one card has to represent that 2 soldiers are caring the item.  So in essence you can use a total of 4 Water Bottle Equipment, however you have only 2 cards that represent the 4.

2. Location cards are used to move to the objective.  This represents options given to a solider to make a command decision on which path to take to the objective, like when you are making your way you come across open terrain or a side road ... some have higher entry cost, some have more hostiles... up to you to choose how you get to your objective based on the available intel on the card.  Traversing terrain.

Equipping the soldiers depends on your tactic or the mission objective and really is a guess.  Some missions require explosive devices to beat the objective so you will need to carry grenades or a grenade launcher.... I have equipped a sniper for the VIP mission etc.... I have found that taking the Squad card I believe with the SAW does some good damage.  I have mixed 2 Soldiers with either 1 Squad or 1 NPC card so that I have 2 card hands and then extra back up....

PE

JudgeDredd

Thanks PE - but with 2 you only really told me what Location cards are - and I know what they are, I'm just not sure of the "implications" to me (re action cards, actions or whatever) for using them, specifically...

Thanks for the feedback though. :-)
Alba gu' brath

PanzersEast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 05, 2014, 12:06:07 PM
Thanks PE - but with 2 you only really told me what Location cards are - and I know what they are, I'm just not sure of the "implications" to me (re action cards, actions or whatever) for using them, specifically...

Thanks for the feedback though. :-)

Some location cards do not require XP to play them, however others may require 1 XP to play.  The cost can vary and sometimes other Action cards can nullify the cost as well.  If you do not have the XP to play, then you have to do the method below.  I have started the game being unable to pay the XP to play a location also I used an Action to redraw my entire hand of five cards.

Yes, if you have a hand and no Location card in there, you must spend an action until you get one.  However, you can as a part of that 1 action turn return all cards drawn and then draw back to you hand limit instead of doing one at a time. 

(Recon), that allows you to look through the entire action deck and choose one of your choice and then reshuffle the action deck.

Yes, you can discard a location card to count for the support/entry cost.

PE

Nefaro

I believe, in order to play a Location card, you also need to spend an action.  It can only go in the next empty location space ahead of one of your soldiers, but it doesn't have to be the one playing it from his hand. 

There are some clarity issues with the rules.  Some rules are mentioned in the beginning of the manual, where it describes the parts of the cards, yet those same rules aren't mentioned in the actual section they pertain to.  One example is the Free Entry rating on your soldier cards.  It is mentioned in the intro section at the front, but the rules section pertaining to entering Location cards has no mention of it. 

Even though the game isn't terribly complex, compared to most others in my collection,  I will still end up having to dig through the manual for clarifications when I first play, as with any new game, but such layout issues will cause some extra digging when having to do so.

I don't even recall seeing a specific rule regarding the 'Recon' trait so it may also have been in the card description area as opposed to the game setup rules.

I've seen people criticize some of the LnL rulebooks for having this same problem, but this one seems even more scattered to me.  Fortunately the mechanics aren't as deep.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on November 05, 2014, 12:52:36 PM
I believe, in order to play a Location card, you also need to spend an action.  It can only go in the next empty location space ahead of one of your soldiers, but it doesn't have to be the one playing it from his hand. 

There are some clarity issues with the rules.  Some rules are mentioned in the beginning of the manual, where it describes the parts of the cards, yet those same rules aren't mentioned in the actual section they pertain to.  One example is the Free Entry rating on your soldier cards.  It is mentioned in the intro section at the front, but the rules section pertaining to entering Location cards has no mention of it. 

Even though the game isn't terribly complex, compared to most others in my collection,  I will still end up having to dig through the manual for clarifications when I first play, as with any new game, but such layout issues will cause some extra digging when having to do so.

I don't even recall seeing a specific rule regarding the 'Recon' trait so it may also have been in the card description area as opposed to the game setup rules.

I've seen people criticize some of the LnL rulebooks for having this same problem, but this one seems even more scattered to me.  Fortunately the mechanics aren't as deep.

Yea, action is required to play a Location Card.

There seems to be some omitted details later in the rulebook, so I have to flip and cross check.....

Recon (Card Type) - The notation will specify a type of card in the Action Card Deck. Look through the deck, find the specified type of card, freely add it to one Player Soldier's hand, and then shuffle the Action Card Deck.

Example:
QuoteTURN #1
Due to the Covert card's Recon notation, I get to look through the deck for a Location card. I select the Wetlands Location card, add it to Giacomelli's hand, and then shuffle the Action deck.

The rulebook is a little all over the place, but not too bad, but there is a constant check on cards and traits as you play... especially pay attention to the cards because you can play at anytime/ specific times to give you or your team pretty good benefits.

PE

Nefaro

I would like to have seen a separate 2-sided cardstock sheet with all the keywords on it, in addition to being at the back of the rulebook. 

If it's in a PDF rulebook, I'll just make it myself since I have plenty of cardstock paper.  I should also do that for Mage Wars along with some nice user-created play aids for some of my GMT games while I'm at it (looking at you, Bloody April).

Lots to do.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on November 05, 2014, 03:58:28 PM
I would like to have seen a separate 2-sided cardstock sheet with all the keywords on it, in addition to being at the back of the rulebook. 

If it's in a PDF rulebook, I'll just make it myself since I have plenty of cardstock paper.  I should also do that for Mage Wars along with some nice user-created play aids for some of my GMT games while I'm at it (looking at you, Bloody April).

Lots to do.
The pdf manual is in the DVG  website.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on November 05, 2014, 10:48:58 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 05, 2014, 03:58:28 PM

Lots to do.
The pdf manual is in the DVG  website.

Thanks.

I found it on my desktop already.  Must've downloaded it after ordering last week.  ;D

TacticalWargames

JD is this a solo game?

Thoughts so far?

BanzaiCat

^ It's for 1-6 players, so yep, you can play it solo if you want.

PE's done a great AAR on it here:
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=11605.msg299815#msg299815

I've got it too, as do several of us, but I've yet to get it to the table this week.

Arctic Blast

Dammit...now you've all 'forced' me to add this to a pre-order game order. Bastards.  :D

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 07, 2014, 03:37:53 PM
Dammit...now you've all 'forced' me to add this to a pre-order game order. Bastards.  :D

AB, it's what we LIVE for! You won't regret it though. I love what I'm seeing so far and can't wait to try it out this weekend.