Questions for DVG Warfighter

Started by JudgeDredd, November 05, 2014, 07:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on November 11, 2014, 03:13:14 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 11, 2014, 09:31:54 AM

I have honestly moved away from rolling the bullet dice... they are cool for the AAR, but they roll forever and are harder to keep on the table.  I've opted for the traditional die and I prefer them over the bullet dice. 

I wouldn't want to normally roll those, as they'd probably just continue off the table at times.  But that was the reason I got a couple of these awhile back anway, so I should be gtg as long as I can read them in reasonable time:

Strong 'chucking' of dice is ideal.  O0

I hope one will be in my stocking  O0

PE

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 11, 2014, 04:31:58 PM
I just use the box lid  :D

Lousy Cretin! 

:))

I'd rather save my box lids from any extra use other than being a box.  Had some take damage in past times from using them as flimsy dice trays.  Plus it's still more convenient to use an actual dice tray.  Fits well in the play area and you can see the dice easily.  I tend to put my second one on a small wooden dinner tray stand, next to the table, when everyone can't reach the first (works great).

JudgeDredd

lol

Another question

What about when to place enemy cards? As you can place location cards one ahead of where you are (so you can always have 2 locations displayed from your current location)...when do you draw and place the enemy cards? Because it can't be when you get to the previous location or the location itself as I've seen enemy cards (sniper?) with a range of two. Well, if he's never pulled until you get to the adjacent/actual location, then the range on an enemy card would never matter.

So - kind of two questions

• When do you play location cards (do you have to play one even though you have a location in front of you)?
  • When do you draw enemy cards for those locations placed

And another question...given the "range" thing mentioned with the sniper...why don't you draw enemy cards right away for the objective card?
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

QuoteRegardless of how many Soldiers are in the game, only 1 new Location card can be placed during each Soldier
Turn.

At the start of the game, if no Players begin with a Locationcard, you must spend Actions to
Discard and Draw until someone draws a Location card.

To play a new Location card, there must be a Soldier in the front-most Location. Any PlayerSoldier can play a Locationcard.

When you play a Location card, immediately draw Hostile cards based on the team's

JD, from my understanding of the rule:  the moment you place the location you fill it with enemy cards

the mechanic of the game seems to be constructed that there is always one location in front of soldier in the lead revealed. (well you are not forced to do so after the first turn, but the mission timer is ticking down and i guess its set in a way that if you don't place a location every turn you don't make it close enuf to the objectiv)

if a hostile sniper happens to get spawed there, he might attack the solider in front of him (range 1) or the soldier that are in the location behind (range 2) depends on which soldier's tartget number he draws when he is placed. 
also your snipers are tactical best used when trailing one location behind, so they can hurt the foremost location (range 2) but are safe from fire out of that location if there is
a) no enemy with range 2
or b ) that enemy didn't hat drawn your snipers number as his target to engage...

Its a pity that airmail+custom 'n such are so tremendous cost to import the 5 lbs box directly from oversea
(i checked on NWS webside and its estimate $58.53 shipping ...plus additional 19% EU import taxes on price and shipping when i pick it up at custom office)
it just doubles the prize  :-\  ... men l long for a VASSAL version by DVG   

BanzaiCat

I don't think this was clarified, but I was reading through the rules and noticed as far as equipment is concerned, Soldiers do not share them, per se, but you can trade equipment freely. If you run out of cards to represent the equipment, you can still buy more, but you need to use something else to represent it.

Check Page 9 under "Equipping Your Team:"

QuoteThe number of Weapon, Equipment, and Skill cards in the game does not limit what your team can purchase.

So, JD, to answer your original question, you can buy as many canteens as you want. Once you run out of cards to represent them, you'll need to figure out a way to represent further purchases (your own cards, coins, poker chips, those funny dollars your people use, etcetera).

One thing that has me flummoxed is the lack of an actual order of play. I might be missing something thus far though; maybe there's some representation in the game box I haven't come across yet.

EDIT: The manual is indeed organized in a somewhat wonky fashion. I've downloaded the PDF version and converted it to Word...I'm already thinking about reordering it in a manner I think makes more sense (I've written manuals for years, including board games and computer games, so this is why I'd even think about doing something crazy like this in the first place, LOL). The dots seem to connect for me, but they're not in a one-after-the-other fashion.

JudgeDredd

Yeah the manual isn't as clear as Dan's other games.

The playing "mat" actually has the turn sequence.

I'm pretty sure it's so simple that I over think things.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Perhaps it's some you, some game system. :)

But I see your points and understand where you're coming from, now.

I noticed the order of play finally but only when I watched a decent enough video on Warfighter that DVG posted to YouTube a couple of weeks ago:

The production quality isn't the greatest (the sound background buzz is annoying, which could have been easily fixed with a filter pass or two), but it might fill in a few blanks. I had it on after reading the rules and organizing the base game plus expansions.

A question for you Warfighter gents - those that have all the expansions, did you just jump in and add all the Expansion Pack contents to your base game before playing? There's a TON of Action Cards now and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of Location Cards. I know the game said if no players have a Location Card then you have to discard and redraw until someone gets at least one.

Besides that I was wondering if you owners have played the base game before adding expansions and what your experience is. I've just added everything together so I'm going to do a review based on that, but will speak to the expansion pack content.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I combined them all before starting.

Makes the Action Deck un-shuffle-able. I split the Action Deck into 3 and shuffled. Then split the 3 into 6, swapped them over and shuffled 3 lots again and then combined all 3 decks into a huge deck. I still get some doublers at times where the shuffle wasn't great, but it will get "shuffled" as time goes on.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

*sigh* - yeah, I was thinking it would be a crazy shuffling time.

The Action Cards are pretty much grouped together so it's going to take a LOT of shuffling to mix that lot up.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2014, 09:39:42 AM
*sigh* - yeah, I was thinking it would be a crazy shuffling time.

The Action Cards are pretty much grouped together so it's going to take a LOT of shuffling to mix that lot up.
I spent ages splitting, shuffling, splitting again, mixing....ages.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Might have to purposefully lay them out one at a time so like cards are split up.

JudgeDredd

I actually don't bother taking the other "location" cards out the Action Deck. If you were to, you would need to shuffle again...so I don't bother. If I draw a location not specific to the region I'm fighting in, I just discard it
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Also - it seems kind of weird having the locations lying horizontal on the "board". I don't like it and I place them vertically. We have to read them after all.
Alba gu' brath