Old School Tactical up on Kickstarter

Started by Barthheart, February 13, 2015, 02:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jamm

3 days in the game world  :)
Day 1 3 seperate battles.
Day 2 choose reinforcements for those battles.
Day 3 final battle with all forces on the map.
Map is sectioned on first 2 days.

Could be played with teams, which would be cool.
:knuppel2:
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Jamm

Some new units.  This StuIG33 can collapse building hexes and break up that tea party of Russian Guards  >:D
the weird turn pro

Barthheart

Cool stuff Jamm.  O0 Can't wait to get it on my table.

Kev. Sharp

Yep the lock is in If I compared this to Holdfast that costs $5 to make and went pre pub on KS for $60 for a stock map, paper box and 30 blocks...This will have 3 maps shizea loads of counters and if Walker is doing the scenarios you know they will be knife fights.

The rules are ok and need some polish tho. I hope the developer/designer invests in making them more consumable than LnL was, sorry Mark Love ya but your rules always needed a lot of work.
I think Vance is on the money about it being a different game. Fire, Op fire assault etc are all very different. So is the command aspect.

That said we have lots of choices, so it needs to be Pretty Fing Awesome PFA to become a series of note.
I'm in @ $55 and glad for it, would be happy at $70 also for what you get.

TacticalWargames

I hope it uses a different spotting mechanic than Lock n Load series.  Being unable to shoot at buildings that may have an enemy in or do recon by fire to me is a very odd design decision in that series.

Barthheart

There are no spotting rules in this game. You can shoot at anything on the map... as long as you have a clear LoS.

Spotting in LnL is one of my favourite mechanisms in that series. It takes away the need for hidden units and some to the "All Seeing Eye" aspect.

TacticalWargames

I suppose I can see it being OK for the boardgame but it felt odd in the PC game. It actually went against German urban combat doctrine used in Stalingrad.

GJK

I understand that there's no structured turn sequence; that the phasing player just keeps going until he runs out of activations. Is there any kind of reaction fire that can take place during the phasing players portion of the turn?  If so, can you react to fire combat as well as movement?
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on February 24, 2015, 11:16:54 AM
I understand that there's no structured turn sequence; that the phasing player just keeps going until he runs out of activations. Is there any kind of reaction fire that can take place during the phasing players portion of the turn?  If so, can you react to fire combat as well as movement?

Not quite. Each player has a pool of impulse points to use during a turn. Player A uses an impulse, then Player B, then A again etc.
You can only pass on using an impulse if you currently have fewer points left than your opponent.
The opposing player can use impulse points to take defensive fire options at moving units.... not sure about reacting to fire but I'll check.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Jamm

In CoH all units have a number of inherent action pts so all units will be able to move and fire.
With the Impulse pts, the player chooses which units perform what actions.
Move a tank, fire a Rifle squad, Rally a broken squad that is in danger of being assaulted, etc.  the decisions are up to you as you will rarely have all the Impulse pts that you would like.
Your Impulse pt total is also reduced by increased casualties.
the weird turn pro

Barthheart

WooHoo! Second stretch goal met! +$25K.

What's up next Jamm?

Barthheart

Played last night over VASSAL with Mark and Shayne there to watch and answer questions.

Interesting system. Takes some getting used to the kind of free form turn but once you get going it flows well.
I like the infantry CRT, no chance to use the AP one yet. Unit morale is set by scenario rather than on the counter. When taking fire and you shake or break you have a chance to shrug it off if you can make a roll against your morale. But when you take casualties you always take casualties.

Good stuff.  O0

bob48

OK Vance, now you definitely have my interest up  O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!