A wargame table project 'DAR' (how to)...make your own cat proof game table!

Started by GJK, April 01, 2015, 10:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Looks like a JJ Star Trek movie set!   :P

Seriously, though, that's a great idea for what you have. 

Was getting sick of map/board glare on my table, coming from multiple lights on a ceiling fan directly above.  Don't have any convenient place for strip lights like that, unfortunately.    :-\   So I run a hanging lamp out to a strategically placed hook in the ceiling (off to the side a bit) before each gaming session.  Been thinking about getting another to hang from the other side and just turning the overheads off for better glare management.

Silent Disapproval Robot

When I get my Duchess, I'm going to add a Phillips Hue light strip around the Edge as you've done.  being able to adjust the colour and intensity should be great!

GJK

This is a "Commercial Electric" 18' Ribbon Light from Home Depot that I got ($50).  It's not a rope light- it is flat and it came with one side having self-adhesive.  It is controlled from a remote (even more cool!) from which you can adjust the intensity and also do light shows (colored LED, blinking, etc...stuff not needed here).  The shelf had a "New!" sign next to it and I don't even see it on the homedepot.com website so it must be a recently stocked item.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

Amazon has all kinds of "LED Strip Lights" available.  The long flat strips with adhesive backing.  From around $10 and up.

Checked some of those out last year too, when looking for some extra lighting for the table. 

Had also found some outdoor rechargeable "faerie lights" (yes, that's what they listed as) at great prices, when I did.  Got a couple sets to run along the deck rails on the pool & second story decks.  Not very bright at all but they're mostly mood lighting for outdoor beer drinking at night and don't require being plugged in or batteries.   :)

GJK

Good finds, yup, see lots of "ribbon LED lights" that are very comparable to what I got for a lot cheaper.  Definitely the way to go.  Mine was a binge purchase though and no complaints here....works great and highly recommended if you have a "within table" game table.   
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on July 29, 2016, 05:16:52 PMalso do light shows (colored LED, blinking, etc...stuff not needed here). 

I dunno, some intermittently flashing red LEDs during combat might be kinda cool.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 29, 2016, 08:39:54 PM
Quote from: GJK on July 29, 2016, 05:16:52 PMalso do light shows (colored LED, blinking, etc...stuff not needed here). 

I dunno, some intermittently flashing red LEDs during combat might be kinda cool.

It is pretty cool actually.  Not best for game table play I don't think but here's the thought...your opponent is taking much too long to make a move...I hit the remote and start flashing the lights...now that will be a cool way to say "hurry up!".  :)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers