Texas Arrows on KS

Started by bob48, May 30, 2015, 06:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richie61

Hey Bob!

First off, I am in to the 3 KS game package  ;) I have been looking at picking it up before now, but I buy used (I am cheap  ^-^)

I will go on the record and say that me calling it SL/ ASL is really wrong. Squad Leader was a better game system than Advanced Squad Leader. ASL tried to add rules to address realistic battlefield components and just became a bloated pig of rules. Thus I should say SL/ ASL - sorry.

I compare it to SL/ ASL because I grow up of Squad Leader as a kid. Bought SL the day it was released and every module they came out. Squad Leader and Cross of Iron were the best of the
series IMO. ASL became a bloated pig of rules  :knuppel2: I played SL non stop for 5 years with 3 different friends, so I use SL as a bar to relate to other squad based games.

Now I have all the BoB titles and I am not a super fan of the game system. I also have CoH and again it's a great looking series, but it left me looking for more.

Not Valor & Victory is a great system for squad sized combat and Old School Tactical is going to be a BIG hit too.

I play Combat Commander and it's a flippin' great title!

The ATS system is another good squad fighting system, but it's another AH package.

Now I too like other squad based games.  GJK talked about ASL SK and thus I was addressing his post. I did post  a nice video of the game system  ;D

I am not an expert on the series like you, but I think it's a good/ great squad game package.  O0

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

panzerde

I am bringing Ghost Panzer to Origins again this year. This time, the counters are punched and I actually know how to play it. Vance shall not escape this year...

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on June 01, 2015, 12:00:58 PM
I am bringing Ghost Panzer to Origins again this year. This time, the counters are punched and I actually know how to play it. Vance shall not escape this year...

Wheeee..... :D

panzerde

Quote from: Barthheart on June 01, 2015, 12:03:55 PM

We can play in all of our spare time between sessions of Sergeants and Tide of Iron and Staff Wargaming.
;D

Barthheart

Quote from: panzerde on June 01, 2015, 12:09:55 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 01, 2015, 12:03:55 PM

We can play in all of our spare time between sessions of Sergeants and Tide of Iron and Staff Wargaming.
;D

Shhhh... don't mention that or Brant will jam in more sessions next year!  :P

bayonetbrant

no - next year we hope to have more companies + more GMs = fewer sessions per GM
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jamm

Quote from: Barthheart on June 01, 2015, 11:26:49 AM
Bah! We all know that the Lock 'n Load series is the best squad level tactical system out there.  ^-^

Well, at least until Old School Tactical takes it's place.  O0

I think Vance nailed it,... ;)

BOB looks cool though, as do a lot of the other tactical systems out there.
The KS looks like a good value.

When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

panzerde

Well, I threw money at you, too. I have a spot on the table right here waiting for it.

And I have ASL/SK, though I've yet to break the shrinkwrap on it. I played SL years ago, but have been slow to get back into it.

I have LnL Heroes of the Blitzkrieg here, too, and LnL: Heroes of Stalingrad on the PC.

And most of the Tiller Squad Battles games.

It's all good! I'd rather have a bunch of good squad-level tactical systems to chose from than just one.

GJK

Many compare tactical WWII games to ASL's "realism".  ASL isn't realistic.  The numbers were fudged to make it fit and work together.  There's lots of abstraction with chrome painted on top.  What ASL is, is a damn fine *game* (the best WWII tactical game ever designed IMO).  It's the way that the pieces fit together that make it so damn fun and you can get as chromed up as you like; if you want rafts, sewers, pungi sticks, banzai charges, parachutes, gliders and just about every piece of ordnance and vehicle used during the war, ASL is a toolbox full of that stuff.  Or you can just read chapter A and play 100's of infantry only scenarios and still have a blast.

That said, I watched the video for this game that was posted here and it looks quite intriguing.  Probably more realistic than ASL actually with the different levels of firepower and the alternating activations.  And I'm sure that it's a fine game in its own right as well.  Hell, if somebody brought it out and put it on the table, I'd enjoy learning it and giving it a spin.  Don't see me selling off my ASL gear to jump in on this one however.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Richie61

Now they have some great "Stretch Goals"  :D

GJK: I can understand  ;)
I should sell off my ASL stuff someday. It's wasting away in my closet  :-\ I have no plans to sell off Squad Leader  :knuppel2:
Ed
aka Richie61

bob48

Its been over 30 years since I played, SL, but the guys I used to game with had all the stuff that was available at that time and we played it a lot. I've played very little ASL, but do seem to remember thinking that it was not as good as SL.

Not played CC yet, although I have a buddy who does and I'm scheduled to have a bash at it at eventually with him.

I do have the base game of ATS, and have messed about with it a bit - it looks like hard work........

Agreed that the new stretch goals for BoB look good - much rather have game related stuff than the badges.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Richie61

I want the Stretch Goal #7 now  :D
Ed
aka Richie61

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!