GMT Wing Leader

Started by danjay, July 14, 2015, 02:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danjay

This arrived yesterday, really been looking forward to this one. AAR preliminary thoughts on my blog. http://danjaygamer.blogspot.com/
Dan

Barthheart

Nice AAR Dan. Thanks for the link.

I'm eagerly awaiting my copy..... :D

Errr....ummm... and it's Wing Leader not Flight Leader  ;)

BanzaiCat

I was gonna say, I thought Flight Leader was a modern jet combat game? Blue box with a helmeted pilot on the cover?

Regardless, thanks for the posted AAR. Nice work.

Double Deuce

Thanks for the AAR. Seriously thinking about picking this one up.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 14, 2015, 02:32:32 PM
I was gonna say, I thought Flight Leader was a modern jet combat game? Blue box with a helmeted pilot on the cover?

Regardless, thanks for the posted AAR. Nice work.

Yep. Flight Leader was an Avalon Hill game. I have a copy. It holds up well.

And +1 on the thanks to Dan for the Wing Leader AAR.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

danjay

Yep I have Flight Leader ..... brain fart! Fixed now

ArizonaTank

Still waiting here as well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Nefaro

I waffled on pre-ordering Wing Leader.  Figured I'd wait and see how it turned out first.  So keep us updated.

I'm also waiting on Genesis which supposedly started shipping at the same time as Wing Leader.  I think they charged me well over a month ago.  ???

Really looking forward to Cactus Air Force regarding air power games from GMT.  Hope it gets done before the next decade arrives.

bayonetbrant

Genesis has supposedly walked back from a mounted map to a heavy cardstock one.  Buyer beware...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2015, 09:05:43 PM
Genesis has supposedly walked back from a mounted map to a heavy cardstock one.  Buyer beware...

*Sigh*

Dubya Tee Eff?

I'm also still waiting on the counter sheet replacements for GBo Alexander Deluxe since the first run had some off-set too far.  >:(

EDIT: 

I don't mind cardstock maps but the way my previous GMT six panel ones unfold (split down the middle of the the whole length) tend to make the furthest ends spread out from each other a bit.  Even putting them under plexiglass won't keep the two end panels touching.  >:(

Considering this game retails for $70, and the reprint of the other in the series will be receiving an actual board, I'm curious as to WTF happened, if this is the case.   Guess I'll find out next week, because my copy was just shipped.

Double Deuce

Was looking at this game and as its seems pretty easy to learn AND also has a VASSAL Module I think it would make for a good forum game.

Barthheart

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 15, 2015, 01:56:09 PM
Was looking at this game and as its seems pretty easy to learn AND also has a VASSAL Module I think it would make for a good forum game.

I agree!  :D

bickford

My copy should be here any day now, can't wait to give the innovative system a spin.
The designer Lee Brimmicombe-Wood can be irritating sometime but his games are rock stars.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2015, 09:05:43 PM

Sadly, even worse, I confirm that Genesis is paper board.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Back on topic.

How do you find the level of complexity in the game?  I'm kind of on the fence about this title.  I like the subject matter but it looks a little too light for my tastes.