GMT Wing Leader

Started by danjay, July 14, 2015, 02:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Sounds good. Shall we display our flying prowess for all the forum to see?

Silent Disapproval Robot

Of course...along with .wavs of us making airplane and machinegun noises.

TacticalWargames

Seeing all the really positive reviews and how great it seems solo I have ordered the game before everywhere is out of stock. Should be here this week.

LongBlade

Quote from: TacticalWargames on September 14, 2015, 03:28:03 PM
Seeing all the really positive reviews and how great it seems solo I have ordered the game before everywhere is out of stock. Should be here this week.

Good move. You'll enjoy it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Double Deuce on August 05, 2015, 01:33:49 PM
Ok, I fixed the reversed insignia/lettering issues.

What are you using for ADCs?  Look interesting.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

TacticalWargames

It came the very next day! Excellent service by Games Lore in the UK. I noticed in other online retailers it was out of stock so knew I had to get it soon.

Been reading the rules and admiring the counters which are abit smaller than I imagined after looking at pics\vassal shots of the game. However that's not a bad thing.

Quote from: LongBlade on September 14, 2015, 06:22:12 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on September 14, 2015, 03:28:03 PM

Good move. You'll enjoy it.

Barthheart

Best way to get into the game is to play the scenarios in order. It really is like a programmed learning tool, slowly introducing new rules as you need them.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It may feel like some of the scenarios are too "on rails" at first as you are restricted in what you can do and wholly reliant on dice rolls.  It is true that luck plays a big part in the game but you'll come to find that deciding exactly when and how to engage is where the decision-making and tension comes in.  (Or, if you're a cretinous mouth-breather like me, you'll forget all about that stuff and charge straight in every time.).

Double Deuce

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 15, 2015, 08:11:41 PM
Quote from: Double Deuce on August 05, 2015, 01:33:49 PM
Ok, I fixed the reversed insignia/lettering issues.

What are you using for ADCs?  Look interesting.

I've just been using some of the existing ones for a base like the CR. 42 Falco, Gladiator Mk.II and F2A-3 Buffalo and maybe tweak a number here and there but most of my research puts them kinda similar in overall performance.

Silent Disapproval Robot

ArizonaTank

Played scenario 2 at the local game club yesterday with three players.  A great deal of fun, folks got pretty excited about the game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Nefaro

Damn you filthy temptresses!

I buckled and ordered Wing Leader.  I'm a sucker for air warfare games on the tabletop, even if I don't play them as much as I'd like.  This one looks less rules heavy than most I own, so that's a definite Pro.  It may push me into finally pulling out the heavies later on, too.
:)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on October 05, 2015, 07:36:10 PM
Damn you filthy temptresses!

I buckled and ordered Wing Leader.  I'm a sucker for air warfare games on the tabletop, even if I don't play them as much as I'd like.  This one looks less rules heavy than most I own, so that's a definite Pro.  It may push me into finally pulling out the heavies later on, too.
:)

I think you will be happy with your purchase.  IMHO, the rules have the right balance between depth, detail and playability.  Some of the smaller scenarios play out very quickly.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Silent Disapproval Robot

The designer put out an update on volume 2.

QuoteSo there's ongoing work on Volume 2 of Wing Leader. This comes under a number of headings:

Art
I haven't been able to do much aircraft artwork yet, though I've certainly managed to produce a small number of pieces for aircraft such as the late-model Bf 109s, Fw 190s and Zeroes.

Ian Wedge has been ploughing on with work on the B-17, P-47 and P-51. At present it's difficult for us to do more than lay out templates for the aircraft art, as we don't yet know what assets we'll need for the final game. I hope that will become clear well before the end of the year when we can lock down the scenario content.

Scenarios
As of Saturday I had something like 17 pages of scenarios. Then yesterday I got a raft load of more, which I have to sift through and lay out for the testers.

The target number is 25 pages of scenarios, with a view to making 30+ and then cutting down to size. Excess scenarios will be kept aside for post-launch release as a scenario supplement.

At some point in the coming couple of months I'm going to sort through the candidate scenario content and sift through them to construct a final shortlist. What I'll be looking for are scenarios that fit a number of criteria:

(a) Scenarios that make a good fit with our ADC and counter assets. This allows us to lock down our asset requirements.

(b) Scenarios that have a good variety of different player experiences and that test all the rules.

(c) Scenarios with a good variety of aircraft, theatres and subject matter.

(d) Scenarios that allow us an easy route for newcomers into the game.

Rules
The rules are undergoing a small overhaul. Largely they won't change, but the following will be true:

(i) The rules will be updated based on feedback from volume 1, so will include all the v1.0 errata.

(ii) There will be some changes to those rules specific to the second volume, such as jets and air-to-air rockets, as we test these rules more thoroughly.

(iii) We will be incorporating some items we've seen in people's wishlists. Items such as off map displays for decluttering squares and a rules index are being looked at.

Don't worry. Most of these changes are minor and the aim is to ensure Volume 2 will be entirely compatible with Volume 1

LongBlade

Awesome. Thanks for the update, SDR.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.