Putin Strikes

Started by besilarius, January 10, 2016, 08:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

http://modernconflictstudiesgroup.createsend.com/t/ViewEmail/i/DB3925FDF3B49AB2

All the games no one else will do on the present day conflicts.
Let's hope the Pentagon buys a few copies.  Wasn't it Aegean Strike by Victory Games that they bought up in preparation for involvement in the Arab-Israeli situation at that time?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

panzerde

I don't know if the Pentagon will buy any, but I did. For <$40 that was a no-brainer.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

avrotim

It's got nukes.  I'm in!
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

avrotim

The counters are lookin good.
currently working on: Crowbar, Thunder in the East, Attack of the 50 Ft Colossi
Currently building: nothing

panzerde

Boy, those German divisions look like serious business!

Not that the Russian Guard divisions are anything to sneeze at. Much of the rest of the NATO forces look kind of anemic.

bayonetbrant

Many of the NATO forces are brigades instead of divisions, it looks like
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

From reading the game description that's apparently a big part of the game - trying to contrast divisions and brigades to highlight strengths/weaknesses of current doctrine that emphasizes brigades over divisions. The counter mix certainly seems to reflect that.

Crossroads

Quote from: besilarius on January 10, 2016, 08:48:43 AM

Let's hope the Pentagon buys a few copies.  Wasn't it Aegean Strike by Victory Games that they bought up in preparation for involvement in the Arab-Israeli situation at that time?

Jim Dunnigan, author of some 100+ boardgames in case the name does not sound a bell, wrote in his Wargames Handbook the best simulation in hindsight of the First Gulf War was Gulf Strike, by Victory Games. So yes  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on January 20, 2016, 01:07:14 AM

Jim Dunnigan, author of some 100+ boardgames in case the name does not sound a bell, wrote in his Wargames Handbook the best simulation in hindsight of the First Gulf War was Gulf Strike, by Victory Games. So yes  :)

Interesting. I picked up a copy of Gulf Strike a couple years ago. Should dig it out of the pile.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on January 20, 2016, 09:15:26 AM

Interesting. I picked up a copy of Gulf Strike a couple years ago. Should dig it out of the pile.

I thought I'd check his actual quote, and what he said was actually the opening paragraph for chapter 9, "Wargames at War".

Here goes:

On August 2nd, 1990, as Iraq was invading Kuwait, the high command of the American forces in Washington, DC, swung into action. One of the first things the Pentagon officials did was to wargame out the unfolding situation. All of the Pentagon's computerized wargames were  too slow off the mark for this job. So later that day, the first wargame at Pentagon was a commercial one. With all the billions spent on computerized wargames since 1945, America's most efficient military operation in this century was initially planned using a game (Gulf Strike) that could be bought by anyone in most hobby stores for under fifty dollars. 

O0

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Quote from: panzerde on January 10, 2016, 12:30:58 PM
I don't know if the Pentagon will buy any, but I did. For <$40 that was a no-brainer.

+1  :)

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on January 20, 2016, 01:03:33 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 20, 2016, 09:15:26 AM

I thought I'd check his actual quote, and what he said was actually the opening paragraph for chapter 9, "Wargames at War".

Here goes:

On August 2nd, 1990, as Iraq was invading Kuwait, the high command of the American forces in Washington, DC, swung into action. One of the first things the Pentagon officials did was to wargame out the unfolding situation. All of the Pentagon's computerized wargames were  too slow off the mark for this job. So later that day, the first wargame at Pentagon was a commercial one. With all the billions spent on computerized wargames since 1945, America's most efficient military operation in this century was initially planned using a game (Gulf Strike) that could be bought by anyone in most hobby stores for under fifty dollars. 

O0

Awesome. Thanks for posting that.  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Pretty cool. You could not make that up  O0

jomni

Crossroads

Quote from: jomni on January 21, 2016, 12:36:53 AM
Will Putin buy this?

Maybe the historians one day can reveal the strike was only cancelled at the very last minute due to that pesky Polish Mech Bde near Kaliningrad not budging?  :knuppel2: