Favorite old SPI game

Started by bayonetbrant, February 01, 2012, 01:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

We've all played them!  What was (is?) you favorite old-school SPI game?

I was always a big fan of the Modern Battles quads, but my two particular favorites were Yugoslavia and Wurzburg.

I found it very interesting that even back in the late-70s, the boys at SPI predicted a potential Yugoslav civil war split along ethnic lines, and actually created such a scenario in that game.
( http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10610/yugoslavia )

I also enjoyed Wurzburg in large part b/c I'v driven through a lot of that terrain.

Howzabout y'all?  What SPI games did you dig?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 01, 2012, 01:21:13 PM
We've all played them!  What was (is?) you favorite old-school SPI game?

Well, we haven't ALL played them...  ::)

OT, but I saw that a new ASL small scenario bundle was released recently. Another "great wargame series" that I haven't played.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

ken ellis

regular old games, chick, wagram, marengo, nappy at waterloo

big games highway, war in the east and most great battles tss type stuff

lots of others too

LongBlade

I tended to enjoy Avalon Hill titles better than SPIs. Let me run some traps and see what SPI titles I have laying around here and what I liked out of them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Shelldrake

I really liked the Napoleon at War quad. Easy to get into and can be completed in an afternoon.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

J P Falcon

The Creature that Ate Sheboygan!

Well, seriously, I have to say that with SPI I played the more unusual titles, like Invasion America and Middle Earth-War of the Ring, to death.
But my actual favorite was the monster game Wacht am Rhien which I had set up on a couple of Ping Pong tables.

Staggerwing

Quote from: J P Falcon on February 01, 2012, 08:53:02 PM

Get the fuck outta town! I actually played that game with my wargaming club in High School!
I've been thinking of getting a copy for nostalgia's sake to go with my Copies of Pblitz and and
Richthofen's War that I saved for lo these thirty-odd years...
I also have a copy of 4th Reich which was based on Norman Spinrad's book the Iron Dream.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

J P Falcon

Yup...the Creature was a fun game indeed and I cannot recall a game on that subject done better...

son_of_montfort

Well, seriously, I have to say that with SPI I played the more unusual titles, like Invasion America and Middle Earth-War of the Ring, to death.
But my actual favorite was the monster game Wacht am Rhien which I had set up on a couple of Ping Pong tables.

Is the SPI War of the Ring the same one now reprinted (and updated) by Fantasy Flight? There was a recent reprint of that and I've heard it is excellent, but it is too rules intensive for me.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jack Nastyface

The ones I remember most were: Gondor / Sauron (got them together in a battlepack; we once played Gondor as part of a homebrew D&D campaign that included a mass-battle game).

I think my high-school gaming group played Sniper / Patrol once or twice, and Commando! once or twice.

I recall playing 3/4 of one their modern air war games, but I can't remember if it was Air War or Phantom V. Foxbat when i lived in residence.

Yours in gaming,

Jack Nastyface

PS...many of these titles available at The Sentry Box in Calgary, Alberta.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

ken ellis

sheboygan was pretty good, we always like the creature that ate new york better!

I still have mine, and we get to "eat the blond" even today, at least every once and a while....

here's the geeklink it was  part of an intro tilogy with naw, tower of azaan and the mini creatue

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13310/adventure-gaming

J P Falcon

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 01, 2012, 11:53:58 PM

Is the SPI War of the Ring the same one now reprinted (and updated) by Fantasy Flight? There was a recent reprint of that and I've heard it is excellent, but it is too rules intensive for me.

No..that one is area movement, while the SPI is hex based....below is the link to BBG of the SPI title....

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2228/war-of-the-ring

southern_cross_116

Terrible Swift Sword - at the time I got hold of it Avalon Hill had just come out with its Gettysburg 77 I think -and regimental level Civil War ... grand tactical scale, it was all something new to me... I was used to playing either Squad Leader or something operational like War in Europe/Europa, or the odd Third Reich session. 

War in Europe was probably my favorite in terms of getting the most playing time. The 4 turns per year aspect of 3rd Reich turned me off a little -and divisional level seemed about right for me at the time.

I was also a fan of 'The Conquerors' and Napoleon's Last Battles.
RW/LW
Bravehearts Hockey Club

Graphics Coordinator, Artist, etc... for JTS
Owner/Webmaster:
Scenario Design Center (hist-sdc.com)

besilarius

My nostalgic favorite, but usually had to play solitaire, was Empires of the MIddle Ages.
By today's standards it was slow and obtuse, but I really got into the sweep of a game that run for seven hundred years.
And yes, we did have an ongoing war between the German Empire and the Byzantine empire, that ran in years about three-hundred-seventy-five years.
It didn't help that the respective sovereigns were man and wife in real life.  There was all kinds of layers to the game, as they were also playing, (for fun at home,) Wellington's Victory.
The wife had the last laugh, though, when they divorced, she got the monster game collection and the house.  Always wondered which Rob regretted losing the most.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Capn Darwin

Air War is still on my shelf. Played a good amount of it in college. New did get a shot at any of their ground games.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.