Favorite old SPI game

Started by bayonetbrant, February 01, 2012, 01:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Hartford688

Air War was interesting.

My favourite? The RPG DragonQuest. Really, really good RPG. Shame it never got the attention it deserved. We played it a lot at a gaming club I was at in Edinburgh in the early 1980s.  Good character setup, good combat, fun magic. Enjoyed it much more than D&D oer AD&D. Only one I liked as much in medieval RPGs was the first Chivalry and Sorcery first edition...:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonQuest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevalier_(game)

MechWar '77

Shelldrake

Quote from: Hartford688 on February 14, 2012, 04:14:46 PM
My favourite? The RPG DragonQuest. Really, really good RPG. Shame it never got the attention it deserved. We played it a lot at a gaming club I was at in Edinburgh in the early 1980s.  Good character setup, good combat, fun magic. Enjoyed it much more than D&D oer AD&D. Only one I liked as much in medieval RPGs was the first Chivalry and Sorcery first edition...:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonQuest

I also played a lot of and really liked DragonQuest...truth be told I preferred it over AD&D. Combat always carried a risk, no matter how advanced your character. Once TSR acquired the rights to DragonQuest the writing was on the wall. Not SPI, but RuneQuest was another great RPG.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Barthheart

Air War was good but my fav was Invasion: America!
Great board and back story.

kwsrv

The Central Front Series was my favorite.  Wore out a complete set, and had to obtain new copies.  Wish the series would have been completed using the orginal rules.

wierbear

My first and favorite SPI game was the Westwall Quad. My dad bought me the Bastogne folio in an attempt to get me to quit watching tv and reading comic books. The rest was history. Later on, I acquired all of the games of the quad but in folio form. I keep them all in the "Bridge Too Far" movie tie-in box. My favorite of the quad is probably Arnhem/Bridge Too Far. My least favorite is Remagen Bridgehead.

James Sterrett

StarForce - unique mechanics and responsible for the most intense 3-player game of many-leveled bluff and deception I've ever been involved in.

Epee1

Air War was good, but complicated IIRC.

I think I played an Ancients game from SPI that I enjoyed, but forget the name at the moment.  Gettin old.

ken ellis

lessee, viking, chariot, yoeman, legion, spartan, phalanx, centurion, what else?

bayonetbrant

^ hmmmmm, methinks we've uncovered a pre-gunpowder wargamer!

:D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

besilarius

Forgot to mention for all the people who liked Creature that Ate Sheboygan, Heritage Games put out a small line of boxed pocket games (?) under the title Dwarfstar.  They were a great bargain at $3.95 and were all designed to be played solitaire.  Came out around 1984.
The best of the lot was Dragon Rage.  It was the same idea as Sheboygan, but medieval fantasy.
Lots of rules to vary the makeup of the castle defenders, and different powers for the dragon, or dragons.  A brilliant concept that could have generated many variants, but all lost when Heritage went belly up.
In the group I gamed with, this was actually more popular than Sheboygan.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

I thought the best of the Heritage games was Grav Armor
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

besilarius

Wow!  Great callout BB.
I did not remember that at all, and cannot recall any playing of that.  My recollection is someone compared it to an advanced Rivets by Metagaming.  Think this comparison shelved it for a lot of us.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Epee1

Captain General

Quote from: kwsrv on February 14, 2012, 09:00:32 PM
The Central Front Series was my favorite.  Wore out a complete set, and had to obtain new copies.  Wish the series would have been completed using the orginal rules.

My old game club playtested that for SPI.

bob48

I played War in the East until the text rubbed off the counters! - S&T Cobra was pretty good and took up a lot of table time, as did the Central Front series.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!