Favorite old SPI game

Started by bayonetbrant, February 01, 2012, 01:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epee1

War in the East?  Columbia block game or SPI?  I have the Columbia block game.  I love that system, but it ain't SPI.

bob48

Yep - the original SPI 'War in th East', 3 map 'monster game' was part of a set, 'War in Europe' being the other part. I think Decision Games are doing a re-print.

Operational level with unit production cycle - pretty basic system, mainly Div level, but good fun. Came out in the late 1970's - I actually made the trip to SPUK near Manchester to pick my copy up, round about 1978 (ish) if memory serves me right.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

magnus

SPI games it would have to be a toss up between The Art of Siege and The Conquerors.

Both which I now have back in my possesion.

LongBlade

Quote from: magnus on February 26, 2012, 05:55:53 PM
SPI games it would have to be a toss up between The Art of Siege and The Conquerors.

Both which I now have back in my possesion.

I would like to add Art of Siege to my collection despite the fact that I don't play many boardgames any more.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

Arctic Blast

Quote from: eyebiter on April 02, 2012, 06:06:40 PM
Ambush

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1608/ambush

I actually just ordered a used copy of this (as part of a gigantic game order). Very much looking forward to playing it!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pinetree

Quote from: kwsrv on February 14, 2012, 09:00:32 PM
The Central Front Series was my favorite.

Me too. BAOR was my favourite of the series.Loved all the different nations.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

bob48

And the 'Friction Point' was a very nice game mechanic.

'Clip those corners'

ericmwalters

Tough to decide on what my favorite old SPI game is.  There are those titles I played a lot of of, such as PANZERGRUPPE GUDERIAN and NAPOLEON'S LAST BATTLES, but also games I wanted to play more of but didn't, such as CITYFIGHT and FIFTH CORPS. 

How do I decide?

DennisS

Quote from: J P Falcon on February 01, 2012, 08:53:02 PM
The Creature that Ate Sheboygan!

Well, seriously, I have to say that with SPI I played the more unusual titles, like Invasion America and Middle Earth-War of the Ring, to death.
But my actual favorite was the monster game Wacht am Rhien which I had set up on a couple of Ping Pong tables.

You're killing me! I played this so much, I memorized the critters. My favorite was the huge spider...you could block off the streets, and really do some damage!

DennisS

Quote from: Epee1 on February 16, 2012, 08:32:02 PM
Air War was good, but complicated IIRC.

I think I played an Ancients game from SPI that I enjoyed, but forget the name at the moment.  Gettin old.

Air War was so complicated that you could crash on takeoff..for a boardgame! Crazy complex.

bayonetbrant

I played the TSR re-release of Air War, after the rules were supposedly "cleaned up" and it was still a giant ball of fail.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Cobra was pretty good, but I spent a lot of hours playing Wacht am Rhein and War in the East.

'Clip those corners'

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 05, 2014, 04:59:45 AM
I played the TSR re-release of Air War, after the rules were supposedly "cleaned up" and it was still a giant ball of fail.

I've dipped a toe into the rules for Birds of Prey which seems rather alien.  But from the past scuttlebutt, Air War's rules was in a league all it's own.