Advanced Squad Leader

Started by DV8, April 03, 2012, 05:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

By the way - found a copy of the original VASL sites scenarios here:

http://www.chad-libra.lunarpages.com/~vasl002/scenarios.htm

Edit: appears that those download links are dead as well.

Short answer is, everybody pretty much just uses the actual scenario card from the game and pulls out the appropriate pieces.  You can make your own scenario set up files too if you want - just pull all the pieces and organize it all pretty and then save the game.  Name it something distinctive to that scenario and voila!, you have a scenario set up file for future use (just don't overwrite it with a new game - give it a different name when you save it again).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

I'd like to setup a time to go through a VASL tutorial session.  I'll know in a few weeks when I'll be able to set aside a Saturday evening or morning.

DV8

My ASL starter set arrived.:)  Nothing like some light reading before bed.

I hope to try out a VASSAL game in the future once I have the rules down.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on April 04, 2012, 11:31:44 PM

I HATE to refer to somebody else's forum, but Gamesquad is probably THE place for chatting about ASL/VASL: http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?30-Advanced-Squad-Leader

Thanks for the consideration. There are times when it's necessary to link to other sites, and if we can't be the primary source for info like that I'd rather we be the place to go to find the best source. :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Well my copy of ASL Expansion Pack #1 is now in my gruby hands.  I'm hoping to spread out the map boards and punch counters at some point this weekend.

Bison

I'm liking the fact that the ASLSK rules book is only 24 pages, which is a nice slow learning curve into a ruleset. 

I'll be co-opting the daughter's dolphin squirt gun to fend off the potential cat attack.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 14, 2012, 08:54:03 PM
I'll be co-opting the daughter's dolphin squirt gun to fend off the potential cat attack.

I used a Nerf Ballzooka back in the day. The noise can be very intimidating.

Bison

I'm still suffering from Nerf PTSD.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 14, 2012, 09:10:49 PM
I'm still suffering from Nerf PTSD.

It took my cat a while to recover, too.

GJK

I may be able to connect via VASL and Skype tomorrow for some "intro to ASL SK" if you or anybody else is interested.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

DV8

Quote from: GJK on April 14, 2012, 11:43:56 PM
I may be able to connect via VASL and Skype tomorrow for some "intro to ASL SK" if you or anybody else is interested.

I have interest.  What time are you thinking?  I can even observe if need be.

Staggerwing

I'd be interested in dropping in to observe as well. What time are you starting?  I might only be able to catch a few minutes at a
time (with 2 kids something always goes sideways at any moment in the house) but it'd be interesting to lurk during a round of
game play.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Probably something in the afternoon. I'm in the Central Standard Timezone, so say 3 or 4 CST?  Or I could meet a little later if that fits your all's schedules better.  Tell me what works best for you guys-
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

I think I've figured it out AFA logging on. I'll just check the room every so often for now as my day has already piled up.
I'll just lurk there through the day and sit down at my comp between chores to see what's what. Don't mind me for now
as I may be AFK a lot.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

DV8

Quote from: GJK on April 15, 2012, 08:29:30 AM
Probably something in the afternoon. I'm in the Central Standard Timezone, so say 3 or 4 CST?  Or I could meet a little later if that fits your all's schedules better.  Tell me what works best for you guys-

I've got an obligation at 4 CDT so that won't work.  Would 8 CDT work?  I can also do earlier if need be.

BTW - These videos are great for a crash course on ASLSK - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFk01JboIhk