Nightfighter - Anyone wanna play?

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 26, 2015, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

German nightfighter stats

Halifax bomber stats.  They have no upgrades in this scenario.

Staggerwing

How do we determine which Me110s have Jazz Hands?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Silent Disapproval Robot

We can get all the set up rolling done now.

To see if the Me110s have been updated with their nasty cannons, roll 1d6 for each plane.
1-3: It's been upgraded, 4-6 it hasn't.

Then roll for the environment stuff.

Moon phase, roll 2d6+2.  (The +2 is because the RAF had learned to avoid flying in bright moonlight by this point)
2-4: full moon.
5-6: half moon.
7+:  no moon.

Visibility, roll 2d6.
2-4: poor
5-9: moderate
10+ good.

Clouds, roll 1d6.
1-3 cloudy
4-6 clear.

Staggerwing

Me110 #3

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

Me110 #4

Moon phase:

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 4, 3, total 7[/blockquote]  +2 =

Visibility:

[blockquote]Rolled 2d6 : 3, 3, total 6[/blockquote]

Clouds:

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Staggerwing

No Jazz   :(

No Moon  :(

Moderate visibility

Cloudless night

Barthheart

Staggerwing

Silent Disapproval Robot

All of your planes offer unobstructed views to the crew so you get +1 die to your tally rolls.  You start with 2 dice due to the environmental conditions so each plane gets 3 tally dice.  Visibility range is zero so you have to be in the same hex as a bomber to have any chance of spotting.

All three planes are equipped with Lichtenstein BC radars.  Their search beam projects straight out in front of the plane for 2 hexes.   If there is a bomber within the AI radar search cone, I'll put down an AI fix marker on the map.

You also have two ground based radar systems, the Wurzburg-Reise and the Freya-AN.  They work just like the Tachi-6 did in the last scenario but their search beams are more tightly focused.  The Freya has a search radius of two hexes while the Wurzburg has a radius of one. 

The Do217 starts with an altitude advantage of 3 (shown on the map with a dives remaining token).  The plane can spend one point of altitude advantage per turn to give the plane an additional 1 to its movement point total.  The plane must be at the same altitude as a bomber in order to attack it.

Here's a shot demonstrating the radar search cones.  It also shows your three fighters numbered 3, 4, and 5.  Select one that will be directed by the radar (the other two will be directed by 'Y' guidance as explained earlier in the scenario briefing).

Let me know where you'd like your fighters to start.  You can place them with any facing in zones J through R, no more than one fighter per zone.  Keep the deconfliction rules in mind.  Your fighters cannot attack a target if another nightfighter is within 5 hexes.

Staggerwing

I'll set up tonight after work. I need to prepare a little better than last game.

BanzaiCat

I gotta say, this game looks incredibly boring at first glance, but having followed your last game closely I'm glad to say my first impression was totally wrong.

Even though Stagger was groping around in the dark like a middle school student in a walk-in closet at a party trying to find some middle school boob, and failing utterly for the most part, it WAS a lot of fun to follow along!  O0 Will be watching this one closely too.

Staggerwing

It's more like a sub hunting game than a traditional air war game.

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 20, 2015, 06:48:14 AM
trying to find some middle school boob, and failing utterly for the most part

Hey! I copped a good feel right at the end there!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have a feeling that this scenario will be a little more lively. 

It's a pretty simple game and it plays a lot faster face to face with the bomber player doing a lot of bluffing (and a but if verbal abuse) and you can usually get through a scenario in 45 minutes or so.

Check out Bomber Command for something with a greater level of complexity and granularity but still using hidden movement.

EDIT: Here's my AAR for a game of Bomber Command I played via VASSAL a while back.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13351.0

Staggerwing

I was going to ask about Bomber Command since it's on sale at GMT right now.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I really like it.  It's one of my favourite board games but a lot of that is due to the fact that it's one of the few games that covers the RAF night bombing campaigns which is a topic I'm keenly interested in.

It's not suited for solitaire play at all and it's a bit unusual in that the British player spends the bulk of his time plotting his raids at the beginning of the game but after they're launched, his role becomes much more passive as he can't alter the course of the raids but can only play cards to make life more difficult for the German player.  I really enjoy the tension that you experience as the Brits, hoping that your bombers can get through before the Germans can find them and do too much damage but I know other guys get frustrated by the fact that they don't have greater control over events.

Staggerwing

I may have to get it. It's been sitting in my cart at GMT for a while.

Anyhoo

So I'm going to select the Do217 as radar guided and the Bf-110s as 'Y' guided just to make things easier to remember.

Also, Im going to set up Bf-110 #3 on 0319, the Do217 on hex 0919 and Bf-110 #4 on hex 1519. All facing north/top.