No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

yep, few days wont kill anyone...still not sure myself if I will even buy it.  really no rush since nobody seems to have any great pre order deals.

Toonces

Hmmmm...I was fairly stoked for this game, but that video did nothing for me.

I'll be awaiting some grog feedback before pressing the buy button on this one.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Toonces on August 06, 2016, 09:40:17 AM
Hmmmm...I was fairly stoked for this game, but that video did nothing for me.

I'll be awaiting some grog feedback before pressing the buy button on this one.

Have to admit after watching that video, gives me a little hesitation too...not sure what I was expecting, but seemed they just went around shooting everything with that laser.

Grim.Reaper

They published patch notes for day one release...he warns some spoilers might be in the notes (although nothing really stood out to me) so beware before reading.....sounds like once this patch is released early next weeks, reviewers can have at it using this version.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/news/

Jarhead0331

I feel really bad for, and do not envy these developers. The spotlight on this game and the expectations for it to succeed and be something unlike anything else that has ever been delivered is pretty unprecedented in my opinion. I feel someone, whether it is the developers themselves through marketing, or just simple media hype, have really set this game up for failure. It might do so much right, and yet, if the sum of its parts fails to deliver the experience so many people are expecting, I think it will be judged extremely harshly and under a different standard than many other games.

Perhaps they should have released into Early Access and let their fans be a part of the development process? Perhaps there should not have been such lingering confusion about what the player will actually be able to accomplish in the game? I think there are a number of things that could have been done to more reasonably manage customer expectations.

Honestly, in the latest blog postings released from the lead developer, I can't help but feel the fear they have over failing to meet the high bar that has been set for NMS. Its palpable. None of them are going to sleep until global release on Friday; of this, I have no doubt. Think about it...everything they have done and everything they have been over the last five years is going to be judged in the next few days. The pressure and anxiety must be tremendous.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

panzerde

^ I think this is a good point. I've noticed something similar with a number of other games released in the past year or so, but this one in particular I think is set up for a tough time for exactly these reasons. I think they hinted too much and were too scanty on details, leaving a vacuum people have just filled with their own expectations.

This could end up being a really good game that no one likes, because they were expecting something other than what it is.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

I plan to keep an open mind. If I like what it is, I shall be happy instead of pining away for what it is not.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Capn Darwin

Too many people making too many judgments on other peoples judgments and not seeing he game for what the Dev said it is and what they have shown. So far, watching a number of folks stream it, it looks cool to me. If you are not looking for a single player, explore, mine, craft, fight, explore more type of game, then steer clear. I'll spend some serious time in the game next weekend for sure.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

James Sterrett

Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 08, 2016, 05:47:17 PM
Too many people making too many judgments on other peoples judgments and not seeing he game for what the Dev said it is and what they have shown. So far, watching a number of folks stream it, it looks cool to me. If you are not looking for a single player, explore, mine, craft, fight, explore more type of game, then steer clear. I'll spend some serious time in the game next weekend for sure.  O0

Ditto!

Also, this:  http://ramiismail.com/2016/08/patch-the-process/

is a good read on the impact of console certification on the release process.

Tpek

Reading the Steam forum for the game makes me lose faith in Humanity (the little I have left that is).

It just makes me wonder if Child Labor shouldn't be re-introduced.

panzerde

It actually seems to me the game I wanted when I first read about Elite: Dangerous. Just being able to open world explore without griefers is enough to get my money.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

SirAndrewD

Quote from: panzerde on August 09, 2016, 12:37:47 PM

It actually seems to me the game I wanted when I first read about Elite: Dangerous. Just being able to open world explore without griefers is enough to get my money.

There is always solo mode in E:D!  No griefers there.  But yes, I think No Man's Sky seems to add a bit to the "explore" side of things that E:D lacks.

While this looks interesting I think I'm sticking to E:D until there's a sale.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

I saw this posted at another site about multiplayer and how at various times seem to get misleading information...MP doesn't really matter to me since I prefer SP, but after watching and reading things, I am still a little unsure what the outcome will be with this game and whether something I would like....I'll certainly be watching the feedback of those who bought day one.

Hofstadter

Yeah this game doesnt seem worth it. Ive been watching this game for a few hours on stream and its just exploring, mining and looking at weird animals.

Its 80 bucks for aesthetic. Just as i suspected
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Rekim

Quote from: Hofstadter on August 09, 2016, 07:36:14 PM
Its 80 bucks for aesthetic. Just as i suspected

Harsh criticism for a game you haven't played ; hasn't even released yet. No?