Need Game Recommendation

Started by airboy, November 05, 2019, 02:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 06, 2019, 03:46:19 AM
Quote from: airboy on November 05, 2019, 03:43:51 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on November 05, 2019, 03:28:31 PM
https://www.matrixgames.com/game/tigers-on-the-hunt

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame that creates a perfect combination of PC interface and streamlined play with in depth tactical simulation.

From the game description:  The sequence of play is more complex and interactive than any other WW2 turn based PC tactical wargame

Pete - Appreciate your consideration, but this is not what I have in mind for someone coming back to wargaming after a 40-50 year absence.

This was the reason I mentioned it for an 'older wargamer' :

This game is inspired by ASL and other older board gaming systems. It's the old full & half squad type of gaming. If you liked SL or ASL, you will enjoy this title.

It is not as complex as they let you think.

+1 my experience with the game agrees with PD's assessment...the UI is challenging but not all that complex.  The game has a lot in common with the old ASL board game yet not as complex.

JasonPratt

Leaving aside things already mentioned:

Tiller's campaign series (the Matrix collection) might be too much, but it does feature what amounts to companies moving around on a hex field, and has more WW2 content than anything else I can think of for the price point.

A great looking PG game is Panzer Strategy -- from the devs who just also adapted Pacific General as Strategic Mind: Pacific. It's a little wonky, but has lots of chrome and some nice details, basically the PG equivalent of Fantasy Wars / Elven Legacy (as the successor to Fantasy General).

Matrix's Battle of Stalingrad adaptation from Lock&Load is a straight-up tactical squad level boardgame port, although L&L are about to release a bunch of upgraded computer adaptations themselves (if they haven't done so already?)

Matrix's Conflict of Heroes is another straight company-level boardgame port.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

RommelFox

Man we're really good at telling people how to spend money haha

I enjoy Germany at War:  https://www.slitherine.com/game/germany-at-war-barbarossa-1941
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

ArizonaTank

Battle Academy by Matrix is easy to play and more of a simulation than it seems. Uses realistic interactions between weapon types.  I highly recommend it.  Does PBEM as well.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/battle-academy

Battle Academy 2 is good as well, but somewhat expensive.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

-budd-

Quote from: jomni on November 05, 2019, 10:29:07 PM
Can someone clarify wargaming levels.
When we say "company-level", is it each unit is a company? Or you command units which comprise a company (I.e. platoons and squads)
I've always taken it as the first one
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Moreb

I think Tigers on the Hunt is an excellent suggestion. It looks and plays like something from an earlier time, one probably more familiar to this person. The UI is a little unrefined, but certainly functional.

But the play is solid and while I may have not fired the game up in a year or so, there are tons of free scenarios to play and modding to look like everyones favorite rule-riddled game of yesteryear.
While the turn may seem complex, and there are in fact several phases, it's all pretty intuitive.

Think I might have to let the Tigers roll again myself. I kind of forgot about it until this thread.

When dongles fly? - mirth

jomni

Quote from: -budd- on November 06, 2019, 08:06:14 PM
Quote from: jomni on November 05, 2019, 10:29:07 PM
Can someone clarify wargaming levels.
When we say "company-level", is it each unit is a company? Or you command units which comprise a company (I.e. platoons and squads)
I've always taken it as the first one

Yup. So most of the recommendations coming in are squad-level. Though it's quite rare for company-level games. I know of platoon-level like John Tiller Campaign Series and Campaign Battles.