World At War 85 - Storming the Gap Funded in 24 Hours Now On Kickstarter

Started by Thrawn, February 05, 2019, 04:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

How will the cat crossing the path outside affect dice rolls? Is there a rule for that? I mean, he's grey, not black, but still...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Crossroads

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 15, 2019, 09:02:59 AM
How will the cat crossing the path outside affect dice rolls? Is there a rule for that? I mean, he's grey, not black, but still...
It depends. Was the cat by him/herself, or was she/he riding a M1150 Assault Breacher Vehicle? There's a huge difference, you know.

https://twitter.com/giantcat9/status/1209063216376143872

If you're not following Giant Military Cats yet, you're doing Twitter all wrong  :smitten:

(Is there a way to embed twitter feed here?)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Box was delivered a few days ago. Didn't have time to open it due to work at first, but once opened I was filled with joy to see the huge amount of content and quality of materials!
That's a whole lot of gaming for a small price!  \m/
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Crossroads

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 25, 2020, 09:55:41 AM
Box was delivered a few days ago. Didn't have time to open it due to work at first, but once opened I was filled with joy to see the huge amount of content and quality of materials!
That's a whole lot of gaming for a small price!  \m/
Neat! I received my shipping notice yesterday, can't wait!  <:-)

Bought a couple of books to kill the time, meanwhile:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Pinetree

I've played 3 games now solo with the SA and it's great fun. Letting it do it's thing is the most important thing, I've seen a few videos and AARs where people override it nearly every turn when it didn't do something they thought was wrong or didn't make sense.

I had one instance where the SA had manoeuvred it's units into assault range and I was all ready for it to do so next activation. It's next card draw had the units stay in place and fire instead and I almost overrode it as it needed to capture those positions for victory but thought I'd play it out and see what happens. It ended up decimating my units with point blank fire and was able to pretty much walk in to my positions next activation. It was pretty impressive and showed me to leave it alone except for the really dumb moves.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Nefaro

Quote from: Pinetree on April 15, 2020, 06:10:34 PM
I've played 3 games now solo with the SA and it's great fun. Letting it do it's thing is the most important thing, I've seen a few videos and AARs where people override it nearly every turn when it didn't do something they thought was wrong or didn't make sense.

I had one instance where the SA had manoeuvred it's units into assault range and I was all ready for it to do so next activation. It's next card draw had the units stay in place and fire instead and I almost overrode it as it needed to capture those positions for victory but thought I'd play it out and see what happens. It ended up decimating my units with point blank fire and was able to pretty much walk in to my positions next activation. It was pretty impressive and showed me to leave it alone except for the really dumb moves.

Good to know.  Will have to stick to the cards when I run the solo set.   O0

Yskonyn

I an busy learning the rules as well. Its a little slow going cause I keep getting distracted by family stuff, but I have no rush.
I also have the solo system, but I'll start using that once I have a proper grasp of the rules.
The production quality is top notch! All materials look and feel great and the graphics of the counters and maps is awesome. Very happy with it.

There also seems to be quite some activity on VASSAL !

Crossroads

So. how do you guys like the game so far?

Me? Haven't had a chance to play it yet  :hide:

Barthheart

Quote from: Crossroads on June 17, 2020, 01:39:28 AM
So. how do you guys like the game so far?

Me? Haven't had a chance to play it yet  :hide:

Great fun. Fast playing. Scenarios are tight and make you think and are a good variety.
Both sides play very differently and you have to take that into account.
Looks great on the table too.

Yskonyn

Havent spent as much time with it yet as I would have liked, but what I did was fun!
Is sure does look good on the table.

Yskonyn

Crossroads

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 28, 2020, 03:02:15 AM
Any of you grogs playing this on a regular basis?
Unfortunately not. I am not much of a VASSAL player, and with how everything is going on with covid19, haven't been to the local wargaming club not once since February iirc  :(

I have the kickstarter deal, with the solo assistant, but haven't really got started with it either. I really should. So for now I have been mostly admiring the art, and played the starter scenario for both sides for a three, four times.

A pity. I am all ready for the Blood and Bridges kickstarted, mind. Surely this self isolation will end one day. 

Yskonyn

Quote from: Crossroads on October 31, 2020, 02:13:06 AM
Unfortunately not. I am not much of a VASSAL player, and with how everything is going on with covid19, haven't been to the local wargaming club not once since February iirc  :(

I have the kickstarter deal, with the solo assistant, but haven't really got started with it either. I really should. So for now I have been mostly admiring the art, and played the starter scenario for both sides for a three, four times.

A pity. I am all ready for the Blood and Bridges kickstarted, mind. Surely this self isolation will end one day.

Exactly my situation. I have even contemplated selling my KS set, but its just too good of a deal and just too beautiful a game to get rid off.
One of these days...

Crossroads

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 31, 2020, 05:56:30 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on October 31, 2020, 02:13:06 AM

Exactly my situation. I have even contemplated selling my KS set, but its just too good of a deal and just too beautiful a game to get rid off.
One of these days...
Have you tried VASSAL, at all? Would be fun to try it, maybe. If interested maybe we could try it out some time?

Are you from the land of XXI? That's a gorgeous avatar you have there by the way! I am from Finland, so a one hour time difference only.