Dominions 3 MP game [Running]

Started by Yskonyn, February 21, 2013, 06:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Huw the Poo

I have units that only fight once then disappear.  They formed about half of the army I'm using to siege Caelum.  He just attacked that army with a single unit...losing of course, but causing all those one-use units to disappear afterwards.  I'm not sure I have the forces to storm the castle now, and the walls finally came down too.  I might have to divert the rest of my armies.

JasonPratt

Under the circumstances I'd say that was fair. :) He used legitimate knowledge of the game to exploit a weakness in a situation where your one-shot summons were vulnerable, because it was easy to predict when and where you would use them.

I hope when my time comes to die, I can do something that clever.  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

It's fair insofar as the game allows it, just as reneging on trade deals etc is fair.  I'm sure some would argue that the things mentioned in the OP are fair too.  I think this particular case is cheesy.

Yskonyn

Huw, my dear man, you flatter me to suggest my cleverness. Alas, I have to dissapoint you all.
It was not a deliberate action.

1) I wasn't aware that your units will vanish after an attack
2) I was merely taking back in last vain effort those provinces I deemed lightly defended.
3) If you are talking about my 'siege relieve force' then I have no pity for you at all. I am trying to reinforce my units at the castle.

So, which one of my armies did this heroic feat you speak of? ;)

Cleverness comes to the ignorant I suppose.

But be honest, if it WAS a deliberate action, it was pretty clever, no? And for a nation stomping over mine and having besieged our capital, you're just being a pouty little school girl who's chance on getting the big pink lollipop just went up in smoke. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

Oh and what to do...

Well I have no chance of doing anything. I am merely sitting out the turns because I don't want to be a spoiler.
If Jason also finds his situation to be hopeless, we could both go AI. That would leave you three to continue.

I agree that the whole Mictlan situation might become pretty interesting!

If so, then Jason needs to set his nation to AI himself. I can do it for Caelum.
Huw has proposed to take over admin and I am fine with that. It leaves the game to you three.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

undercovergeek

i think you 2 guys need to decide what it is you want to do

For me personally - if the games not enjoyable then call it a day, same as any PBEM game - if its a chore for one side then respectfully bow out

Huw the Poo

Agreed, you two need to decide what to do.  Yskonyn, whether you go AI or not doesn't really matter at this point, because I'll just be attacking your capital either way.  But yes, the situation with Mictlan is getting interesting and I'd like to see it play out. :)

As for the accusation of cheese...you sent a lone unit into the province where you knew I had a big army.  What did you expect to achieve?!  Relieving your besieged forces with one unit?

Yskonyn

IIRC it was a spy, so I had anticipated it would enable me to see your exact army. Not fight it.

As my situation is hopeless, I bow down and declare Caelum defeated.
I would like to handover all admin tasks for it to Huw.

Jason, of course, needs to decide for himself.

undercovergeek

Ysk - thanks for setting up this very first Dom 3 game of mine, its been a great learning experience - hell, it still is - i appreciate all your efforts on this and the other game, thankyou

Huw the Poo

Yes, thank you very much Ysk.  I really appreciate you running my first Dom 3 MP game!

If anyone needs me to adjust the timer, please email or PM me; if I'm in work I'm much more likely to see those than a post on the forum.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 02, 2013, 05:28:56 PM
Yes, thank you very much Ysk.  I really appreciate you running my first Dom 3 MP game!

If anyone needs me to adjust the timer, please email or PM me; if I'm in work I'm much more likely to see those than a post on the forum.

so now you can power down mictlan or something yeah - switch off their money or something?

JasonPratt

Still have one last thing to try for experimentation purposes. So another turn or so.

Thanks a ton for setting up the game, Ysk! I'll be switching over to AI, too, in a couple of turns; I'm only using the opportunity to test something.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Ubercat

Thanks, Ysk! I admin'd a game about 5 years ago and I remember what a PitA it was.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

Out of curiosity, did you already go to AI, Ysk?

Because it looks like Mictlan has been kicking butt just a little down south near Mummy headquarters. :)