Running thread: Quality Long-form Journalism

Started by bayonetbrant, October 19, 2015, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 18, 2017, 09:03:52 PM
whatever happened to GenX?
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170316-whatever-happened-to-generation-x

To be honest I'd never been sure if I belong with the last of the boomers or the first of the Gen-Xers. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's probably the latter.

Also, after everything I've had to do to get by in life (esp. for my kids) this quote stuck out for me. I'm sure a number of you can identify:
QuoteCoupland feels "neutral" about millennials, he says. "I will say that pretty much everything they say about millennials is what they said about X except that millennials seem unable to cope when things don't go their way."

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 18, 2017, 09:26:52 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 18, 2017, 09:03:52 PM
whatever happened to GenX?
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170316-whatever-happened-to-generation-x

To be honest I'd never been sure if I belong with the last of the boomers or the first of the Gen-Xers. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's probably the latter.

Also, after everything I've had to do to get by in life (esp. for my kids) this quote stuck out for me. I'm sure a number of you can identify:
QuoteCoupland feels "neutral" about millennials, he says. "I will say that pretty much everything they say about millennials is what they said about X except that millennials seem unable to cope when things don't go their way."

Stagger, I think you are in the same age bracket that I am, 52, and I believe that makes us officially the last of the Boomers. I've never identified with the Gen X crowd, but that might be from being brought up in a military family.

bayonetbrant

The rule of thumb on GenX was always "if you were a teenager at some point in the 80s"

So if you were 18 and graduating high school in '81 or just starting middle school as a 13yo in '89, you're in that generation.

There's always going to be folks that sorry of float between generations. I actually have 2 uncles that really ought to count for GenX, not just by birth year, but by behavior as well, but can't bring themselves to identify with the same generation as their nieces and nephews instead of their brothers and sisters.

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 19, 2017, 08:00:52 AM
The rule of thumb on GenX was always "if you were a teenager at some point in the 80s"

So if you were 18 and graduating high school in '81 or just starting middle school as a 13yo in '89, you're in that generation.

There's always going to be folks that sorry of float between generations. I actually have 2 uncles that really ought to count for GenX, not just by birth year, but by behavior as well, but can't bring themselves to identify with the same generation as their nice and nephews instead of their brothers and sisters.

Huh... never heard that rule of thumb before.... interesting...