Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Yup I'm a Nintendo guy now.  I just need to figure out which external storage device route I want to go so I can eventually get smash bros, splatoon, and monster hunter 3 and xenoblade.  Its one of the downsides to the wiiU.  The ridiculously small internal storage capacity.  I've decided I want to go with digital download over disc.  I think it's more kid safe.  But the wiiU requires either a external hard drive with its own power supply or I've watch YouTube where you can use a smaller portable drive but you need a Y2 cable to plug the hard drive into the back two USB ports.  Not a huge issue but I'll need to order one from newegg or Amazon.  I think I had one but it got tossed out during a spring cleaning purge, when I thought I'd never need this cable again.

Bison

I've ordered my Y 2 USB cable and the adaptor for the gamecube controller so I'm ready for Smash Bros. when I decided to buy it in a few weeks or so.

BanzaiCat

Aaaand it only took 12 pages of hand-wringing in this thread to git'r'done!  :)

mirth

And now begins the buyer's remorse phase.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

Nah no remorse.  I really do love Nintendo games and now I'm onto phase two of restructuring the entertainment hub of the Bison homestead.  Next up?  Either a Xbox One or a sound system.  This one might take a few months to sort out.  :)

Grimnirsson

Welcome to Nintendoland!  O0

Many good games on the Wii U, there's a great fun time ahead, enjoy.  :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

Who wants odds on Bison returning the Wii before the end of the week?

Bison

I think I maybe should have followed my gut feeling and gone with Mario World 3D over Super Mario Maker.   I really like the concept of Mario Maker and I did play some of the user created content last night, but I think for value of problem solving and coherant level design I should have picked 3D.  I think the kids would enjoy it more, especially since they get the cat suit.  But I also know that they like to just create stuff, which Mario Maker does in spades.

Bison

Quote from: mirth on February 02, 2016, 01:05:06 PM
Who wants odds on Bison returning the Wii before the end of the week?

You'd lose that bet.  I'll be honest.  My favorite video game characters are Nintendo and Bandai Namco; Mario, Link, and Pacman for example.  I'm an 80's kid and love platformers.  I can still remember when Pacman came to the local arcade.  I spent many quarters on that machine same with Super Mario.

Grimnirsson

QuoteWho wants odds on Bison returning the Wii before the end of the week?

He can safely return the Wii because he's the proud owner of a Wii U now... :coolsmiley:
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

Wait, did he buy something?

Wheeew!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

I'm not sure why the rest of you aren't jumping on my Nintendo bandwagon yet.  I've spent the last couple of evenings playing Mario and doing online Mario Cart 8 races.  The wife and I even got in a good hour last night of local racing and beating Mario levels.