Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I was done with Nintendo when we got a Wii about eight or so years ago. We never really took to it. Used to play my first-gen Xbox a lot but haven't been much into consoles since then.

Bison

I wasn't a huge fan of the Wii either.  It was fun enough for an occasional evening of fun, but I hated the controllers and motion requirements.  The WiiU can use those same features and even controllers, but they certainly are not necessary at all.  Anyway.  It's really been sort of a coming home party for me since I picked it up.  It's pretty neat to share the type of games the wife and I grew up playing with the kids and it's even better that they love playing them. 

Of course Nintendo is coming out with a new console which seems like it could be pretty epic.  I've already started to plant the seeds of purchasing one into the wife's subconscious.  MAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

JasonPratt

Sounds like a winning choice then!  O0

I'm pretty sure I blew my chance of courting one girl several years ago when, at a Sunday School Christmas party, the Wii got brought out with an iteration of Mario Kart, and she was doing reasonably well against everyone else and then one of the four controllers made it around to me.

At the time I had played Burnout and Motorstorm quite a bit recently; not to mention a lifetime of related high-speed maneuver things like the Ace Combat series. And I'd had a chance to study how this version of MK worked by watching the others. (Also, I had played MK a little with a cousin a few years prior.)

I was very nice about winning, I thought. I tried to give them a few suggestions about how to drive more effectively. But, man, it was like playing in slow motion against four-year-olds who could barely steer. Even spotting them some seconds out of the gate, there wasn't much doubt. (Because of course I wanted to make it a fair race and so I only spotted myself two seconds longer than how long it took them to come in second last time.)

I don't exactly remember her comment when she threw down the controller at last, but it was something like, "Guys are stupid. They only want to win."

???  ???  ???

In hindsight, I maybe dodged a bullet there.  ::) :crazy2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

Bison

It only took 8 months, but I finally decided between the Xbox One and PS4.  I picked up a shiny new Xbox One S with Gears of War 4.  Woot! 

bbmike

Quote from: Bison on December 29, 2016, 04:21:03 PM
It only took 8 months, but I finally decided between the Xbox One and PS4.  I picked up a shiny new Xbox One S with Gears of War 4.  Woot!

What was the deciding factor(s)?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

4K blue ray video player, smaller form factor, and I've moved into console gaming to play with the kids.  It's just easier than PC gaming with them.  I'm looking at you minecraft...and I wanted a selection of more adult games than I can get on the Wii U.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

mirth

Fully powered and dongle supported.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

An Xbox One S for $199 tomorrow. Is it worth it? I've never, ever owned a console but I'm tempted.  :dreamer:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Quote from: bbmike on June 10, 2017, 05:29:18 PM
An Xbox One S for $199 tomorrow. Is it worth it? I've never, ever owned a console but I'm tempted.  :dreamer:

I think so.

Staggerwing

I've never owned an Xbox, just PS1 through 3. How backwards-compatible is the Xbox One S? If I ever get an Xbox I'd want to be able to play some of the older titles, such as all the Halos, that I missed not owning earlier MS consoles.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

You can get digital downloads of Xbox games to play.  I don't believe it plays physical media as backwards compatibilie.   

I really come to love my  Xbox One.  Play games mostly Diablo 3, Dragon Age, just start Divinity, and of course racing games.  Otherwise I'll use it to watch streaming media like Netflix or amazon prime.