Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

if theyre stopped with arrestor wires, why are the tyres smoking, are brakes been applied too?

bob48

The Broncos was doing test landings without a wire and take offs without a catapult. It's a VSTOL aircraft.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

'cause Bawb's a VSTOL guy.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Bob loves him some OV-10s, he does. Yessiree... uh, Bob.

I've always had a soft spot for Broncos as well as some of the other somewhat obscure prop a/c of the 60's and 70's that flew on combat missions such as OV-1 Mohawks and Cessna Skymasters. Imagine going to war in a Mixmaster while you know there were Mig-17s and Mig-21s out there looking for a snack...  :o
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Yes indeed - I do love the Bronco. The Ov-1 is pretty cool as well though.

It seems like nothing ever came from the proposal to start building up-dated OV-10's again.  :(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Landing Craft Infantry approaching Utah/Omaha beaches

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

USS Idaho (BB-42) traverses Panama

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Any idea what year that was? She still has the early 'wickerworks' (Lattice Masts).

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GDS_Starfury

he's lucky he knows what day it is.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

mirth

Not sure on the year on the Idaho pic.

This is Hood traversing the canal in 1924.

Staggerwing

Cool.

Notice that the Brits were using the sturdy 'Tripod Mast' design. Eventually the USN adopted it after one of the lattice masts on a US battleship got folded over right down to the deck during a storm. The Japanese also used the tripod but decided to hang everything including the kitchen sink on the masts so superstructures ended up looking like Brazilian mountainside shantytowns (Pagoda Mast).

mirth

The Brits adopted the tripod mast early on. It was a standout feature of their battle cruisers in WWI. Beyond the functional/structural aspects of the cage mast, I've never liked how it made our battleships look.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on June 10, 2014, 06:25:59 PM
The Brits adopted the tripod mast early on. It was a standout feature of their battle cruisers in WWI. Beyond the functional/structural aspects of the cage mast, I've never liked how it made our battleships look.

It does look somewhat silly.

Al

Quote from: mirth on June 10, 2014, 06:25:59 PM

Here's an explanation of why the US used cage masts instead of tripods.  Weight saving was one reason.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/battleship-cage-masts.htm
Al

GDS_Starfury

very interesting article.  thanks.  O0