Main Menu

GrogCast Season 5!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 07, 2017, 07:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Animadversions:

@SofaKings:  Thanks for your concern, but I've taken to drinking heavily and it does help.

@Barth:  JTS loves you anyway, as it loves all people.

@MD:  Your "Faramir" line has made you my wife's favorite.

@Brant: The Hobbits are rubbish and should die consumed by flames.  Get a pirate copy of the Rankin-Bass.  It's much better and hews more closely to the story line.  And my nerdrage is a poor ember compared to my beloved's on this topic.

The worst book-to-movie translation, without exception, is the Space-Movie-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named to which one of the lesser denizens of the Hollywood hog wallow tried to attach the title of a great book by Robert Heinlein.  Hint:  Doogie Hauser plays Himmler.

My oldest die is easily the Gamescience die of which I've spoken.  Tragically, it is no longer under warranty.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

SofaKings

Quote from: mirth on October 22, 2017, 02:18:19 PM
friends?
My friends? More like " bring out your dead..." #holygrail

MetalDog

Quote from: Cyrano on October 22, 2017, 04:15:12 PM
Animadversions:

@SofaKings:  Thanks for your concern, but I've taken to drinking heavily and it does help.

@Barth:  JTS loves you anyway, as it loves all people.

@MD:  Your "Faramir" line has made you my wife's favorite.

@Brant: The Hobbits are rubbish and should die consumed by flames.  Get a pirate copy of the Rankin-Bass.  It's much better and hews more closely to the story line.  And my nerdrage is a poor ember compared to my beloved's on this topic.

The worst book-to-movie translation, without exception, is the Space-Movie-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named to which one of the lesser denizens of the Hollywood hog wallow tried to attach the title of a great book by Robert Heinlein.  Hint:  Doogie Hauser plays Himmler.

My oldest die is easily the Gamescience die of which I've spoken.  Tragically, it is no longer under warranty.

Your wife is a woman of discernment and good taste.  And her nerdrage is well placed and righteous.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Cyrano on October 22, 2017, 04:15:12 PM

no need for a pirate.  I have it here somewhere in a box

The Peter Jackson flicks are not the Tolkien books.  They're a massive LotR prequel loosely based on the books, starring Christopher Lee's thoroughly-British dentalwork.

But as long as you don't compare them to the books, it's not a bad yarn.  It's just not the books.

Quote from: Cyrano on October 22, 2017, 04:15:12 PMThe worst book-to-movie translation, without exception, is the Space-Movie-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named to which one of the lesser denizens of the Hollywood hog wallow tried to attach the title of a great book by Robert Heinlein.  Hint:  Doogie Hauser plays Himmler.

That's b/c they already had a movie written and went shopping for the rights to a media license they could slap on it, and found out the ST rights were available.  The bought them, w/ options for sequels, and slapped them on an existing screenplay.

As soon as they jettisoned the power armor, though, the key plot of the back half of the book with the un-named platoon sergeant goes out the window, b/c you can see everyone's faces and there are no surprises.

Plus, it's clear they studied tactics at the George Lucas School of Braveheart Battle Scenes Only With Blasters Instead of Broadswords.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

SofaKings

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 14, 2017, 09:10:12 AM
Toonces & Mirth in this week's GrogCast for your weekend listening enjoyment
Cold Waters?  Yes please.  There goes $40 tonight. 
Had a tour of the USS West Virginia a couple years ago.  It was very, very cool!

Nice episode.