Endless Legends - thoughts?

Started by JudgeDredd, November 27, 2014, 06:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

If anyone has it what is it like? Better than Civ? On a par? Just different?

I was toying with Civ Beyond Earth, but Angry Joe kind of put me off this release of it

Thoughts would be appreciated.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

If you haven't seen this thread, you might want to poke around here until someone more specifically replies...

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7280.0

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Endless Legend just feels different than the other fantasy 4X games. 

I thought it was refreshing, if only for the factions and background.  I put a respectable number of hours into it despite thinking it could really use more content.  Overall I'm happy that I purchased it (wasn't too expensive at the time) and I'm looking forward to checking it out again after the recent update, which included a small bit of extra content. 

Much like Endless Space, I found it easy to get into because most of the UI is straightforward and makes sense, barring one or two niggles.

I would still turn to something like AOW3 or Dominions 4 for some more depth to the mechanics and content but EL feels different enough, and doesn't take much study.  So it serves as lighter 4X fare for me, but can still hold my attention for awhile.

solops

This is my go-to game for Fantasy conquest. In addition to the patch and DLC released last October? I found a community mod on the devs website that improves the AI, balances and cleans a lot of bugs. Highly recommended.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

airboy

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 27, 2014, 06:29:46 AM
If anyone has it what is it like? Better than Civ? On a par? Just different?

I was toying with Civ Beyond Earth, but Angry Joe kind of put me off this release of it

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I bought it several years ago and played a whole 2 minutes.  Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes is very good and I wrote a combined Review/Strategy guide on it.  Similar genre.

CJReich46

I remember the freebie weekend on Endless Legend (and I thank Amplitude for doing that) it was just an incredible game to try out.

I like the lore, the world building, there's a lot to like. It's on my wishlist.

Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes is a good one too. There's rumor of a new patch coming. (Saw it on reddit 4x)
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Boggit

I have Endless Legend, and will say that it's refreshingly different as a fantasy/science fiction game. For the most part the factions are very different in their play style which makes it all the more interesting.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

FarAway Sooner

It's some of the most original content in the 4x fantasy realm in a long time, in terms of the factions not being standard tropes and the world having its own storyline and depth.  I've never finished a game, but every time I start it, I enjoy it.

The city development model is original and brilliant--it's the first 4x game I've ever played where city management requires some real long-range planning and you have to weigh hard trade-offs in terms of deciding whether to "snake" out to snag distant resources, or keep your city more compact and enjoy the (significant but abstracted) benefits of having a city where people live close together with all the commensurate commerce and functionality boosts.

The race-specific quests add real flavor to each faction, in terms of both varied priorities of game play but also in terms of back story.

I like that the world is new and original, but sometimes I honestly struggled with just how original it was.  Some of the resource and technology  names are very non-intuitive:  Off the top of my head, I couldn't honestly name a single strategic resource.  "Do Geothermal vents improve my commerce, my research, my industry, or all three?"  "What do Dianthium Crystals do, and how are they different from the Annalaxis Tree?"

It avoids any real "Good" or "Evil" factions, so if you're looking for High Fantasy, it might not scratch that itch.  But the game play is awfully good!

JasonPratt

I've got both EL and EL2 (I think). I assume EL development is thus done; but are there superior mods for it yet? And is EL2 up to par yet? (Often sequels don't start out up to par, in order to introduce things later -- or due to bugs that the older game no longer has.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Jason I think you're thinking of Endless Space (and Endless Space 2).  There is no Endless Legend 2.

JasonPratt

Checking, and yep I have Endless Space 2, not EL2. (And Endless Legends, not EndSpace1.)

Question of modding for EL stands.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

Modding - see my post #4. Also, there are lots of mods on Steam.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin