Borderlands 2: Reviews and Impressions

Started by FrontierCybrarian, September 20, 2012, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrontierCybrarian

I hope this thread/post is appropriate for GROGHEADS.

Many reviews are coming in giving Borderlands 2 primarily high scores from 85 to 100 with the average of about 89 to 91% (GameRankings & Metacritic).

http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/638786-borderlands-2/index.html

If you liked the first one you'll most likely enjoy BL2 (Borderlands 2). I played BL1 to death clear through 3 different times with the objective to find and use the most powerful and accuracte sniper rifle or scoped pistol to dispatch main enemies with one shot kills and big boss creatures with only a few shots.

I'm only at level 7 in BL2 at the ICE Land environment and with only moderate weapons but here are some initial impressions:

-Much slicker and useful interface to purchase, compare, discard items and add Bad Ass/Skill points.

-Better adjustable pc graphic options than the first. Now, really sharp cell-shaded environments, characters, and beasts (not everyone's cup of tea, understood)

-Many more weapons but most are similar but can be quickly sold to get more cash for better items.

-Better shields available right from the beginning.

-Very immersive environment makes me really feel "cold" in the ice land setting. Don't fall in the freezing water or you will die.

-Main "human", maurauder, assassin characters quite similar to BL1. Flying raqs different but similar. Big beasts different so far and they throw ice balls and ice sickles.

-I'm using the Axton Commando character with placeable sabre gun turret. This turret definitely works better than in BL1.

-I'm finding the 400pp Borderlands 2 Brady Games Signature Series strategy guide useful, colorful, and comprehensive.

I believe this is enough for now and maybe too much as to bore/boar you to death. Don't be a CLAPTRAP, wanderer!
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958

W8taminute

Thanks for posting this.  I was hoping someone here would comment on the game.  I bought Borderlands (for the PS3) way back when and traded it in less than 3 months later.  I was initially thinking that Borderlands 2 would be more of the same but your review indicates that it is a good game.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

Thanks for the insight. One more game I ought to be playing...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

FrontierCybrarian

W8taminute, if you really gave BL1 a fair shake and didn't like it or it didn't draw you in then you probably will not like BL2. It is quite similar so far with some tweaks and improvements but it is still wanderering, looting, blasting, and upgrading. It's still a fps with rpg elements. The story so far is okay. As mentioned, I play it mainly to find and use the ultimate weapon. That likely is not enough for some players.

Remember I'm playing the pc version that requires a STEAM account and on a powerful computer with the adjustable graphics options. Play on the consoles may be a bit different. I'm not sure I like the STEAM idea since I purchased the box copy but that seems like reality now days.

BL1 was the only game I enjoyed playing multiplay with my sons (I only play with my sons, sorry). Not Left For Dead nor Call of Duty. I'm looking forward to playing multiplay with one of my sons but he up and seriously broke his finger (basketball) and is in an arm cast for 4-6 weeks. He can't mouse with the cast. He won't die from not playing games but just barely. He is an uber fanatic.

FrontierCybrarian

Longblade, it's been awhile but it's great to interact with you again. You're a great administrator/moderator and one who respects diverse gaming interests. You're  always  kind in taking the time to post and further member threads/posts. Keep up the good work.

Yes, if you like rpg/shooters and acquiring "top-notch" firepower then BL2 might be the ticket!

W8taminute

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on September 20, 2012, 04:34:18 PM
W8taminute, if you really gave BL1 a fair shake and didn't like it or it didn't draw you in then you probably will not like BL2. It is quite similar so far with some tweaks and improvements but it is still wanderering, looting, blasting, and upgrading. It's still a fps with rpg elements. The story so far is okay. As mentioned, I play it mainly to find and use the ultimate weapon. That likely is not enough for some players.

I guess what didn't draw me into BL1 was my perception that it was kind of like a Fallout 3 clone.  What I mean by that is purely gameplay not story.  I enjoy looting, blasting, and upgrading as much as you do but I think maybe I like it better in a Fallout New Vegas or Skyrim type of game.  Thanks for sharing though, it helps me and others decide on buy or die.   :D
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Arctic Blast

I'm also really enjoying BL2. It has the same crazed and often dark sense of humor, and the same random loot drop guns insanity of the first. But the PC version is a thousand times better. You can tell that this wasn't a slap dash port this around. Also, the multiplay works a lot better. No more horrible antiquated Gamespy that was poorly implemented. This time, they used Steamworks. It's incredibly easy to drop in and out of games.

It looks like there is a much bigger variety of enemies in this one, too. And a few seem to be several types stacked in to one. Goliaths, for example, become Rampaging Goliaths if you do big damage but don't kill them. They're stronger, they're faster, their health is refilled...but they attack EVERYTHING around them (including former allies). Don't finish them off in time and they elevate to another level of roid rage where they can now leap about 80 feet at a time. And so forth.

And the whole level up system is nicely organized. Every time you gain a level, you get 1 point to spend in any of three different skill trees. You'll also get Badass Points during play for reaching certain totals in a long list of goals, and those can be used to give you small upgrades to everything from Gun Damage to Shield Recharge Rate.

I could go on. For once, I won't.  ;D

Gusington

Welcome FC, good to see you here. Thanks for the review. If you're interested in writing for US let Brant or LB know. We would love to have you.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FrontierCybrarian

W8taminute You have good taste in enjoying great games such as Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas (my girlfriend's favorite). Those games sport traditional and awesome graphics while BL2 has the cell-shaded more "cartoon" type. Were the cell-shaded graphics a turn-off for you? Some may think BL2 is just a "kid" game despite the "M" rating.

Arctic Blast good endorsement from a solid gamer. Thanks for the additional thoughts on features, bestiary, and especially multiplay. You are into this game quite deeply and as such you might consider keeping us posted as you progress further and discover "fantastic" weaponry or shields. Have you found a sniper rifle yet? If so where did you get it and how good is it? I don't feel fullfilled unless I have a scoped rifle or pistol in my arsenal (my BANG-BANG comedian -Arsenally Hall).

Gusington, howdy buddy. I always enjoyed sharing threads/posts with you. They were many and they were memorable.  You were a mainstay in the other forum and I missed seeing you there. It just wasn't the same. Thanks for the kind and formal invitation suggesting I write for GrogHeads. Actually I don't consider myself a very good writer but I try and plug away. However, I will informally continue to provide brief reviews and insights on certain pc titles...and maybe participate in the "tech talk" section. I'm mainly a FPS player at heart.

Since I feel Grogheads is a "warm" and inviting wargaming/general gaming community I'll feel more apt to contribute.

W8taminute

Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on September 21, 2012, 12:14:01 PM
W8taminute You have good taste in enjoying great games such as Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas (my girlfriend's favorite). Those games sport traditional and awesome graphics while BL2 has the cell-shaded more "cartoon" type. Were the cell-shaded graphics a turn-off for you? Some may think BL2 is just a "kid" game despite the "M" rating.

Since I feel Grogheads is a "warm" and inviting wargaming/general gaming community I'll feel more apt to contribute.

No the cell shading graphics were not a turnoff.  I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles which also sported cell shading.  I think my problem with BL1 was I couldn't get immersed in the story.  Can't really put my finger on it but there it is. 

Arctic Blast

Quote from: W8taminute on September 21, 2012, 12:46:25 PM
Quote from: FrontierCybrarian on September 21, 2012, 12:14:01 PM

No the cell shading graphics were not a turnoff.  I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles which also sported cell shading.  I think my problem with BL1 was I couldn't get immersed in the story.  Can't really put my finger on it but there it is.

In a lot of ways, BL2 is to BL1 what Assassin's Creed 2 was to the first game...it seems like they built off of the solid idea and fleshed out all of the areas that were a little thin in the original. The story so far in the sequel is a lot better, if for no other reason than you have a big, bad supervillain type to fight against. The whole arrangement of various factions isn't the splintered mess that it was in the first game.

Quote from: FrontierCybrarianArctic Blast good endorsement from a solid gamer. Thanks for the additional thoughts on features, bestiary, and especially multiplay. You are into this game quite deeply and as such you might consider keeping us posted as you progress further and discover "fantastic" weaponry or shields. Have you found a sniper rifle yet? If so where did you get it and how good is it? I don't feel fullfilled unless I have a scoped rifle or pistol in my arsenal (my BANG-BANG comedian -Arsenally Hall).

Indeed. I've gone through a few sniper rifles. Had one that did Burning Damage on top of 150 points of standard, but it ripped through 2 out of the 6 rounds in the mag with every trigger pull. Now I've got a 205 point base damage sniper rifle with no elemental effects, but the damn thing has an absurd accuracy rate of something like 97.5%. I have deemed it 'Head Burster'. I've also finally grabbed a pretty respectable pistol, just picked up a boosted shotgun via a side mission, and have a bad ass rocket launcher and a damn good shield. Still looking for a really high end automatic weapon, though.

I'm pretty close to making Level 16. I just finished off a couple of side missions, and MAN are those more involved than they were in the original. They used to be quick little bites between story missions, now they're almost as long (not a complaint). Had my first encounters with Hyperion's robots. One of the side missions was a rather amusing affair involving an AI core from one of them that wants to be peaceful now...or does he?

My next op is helping a Bandit pilot named Loggins seek revenge against the squadron that threw him out. I had to pause the game when he talked about missing the 'Highway to the Danger Zone' because I was laughing too goddamn hard to play. Same thing happened when I brought a pizza to 4 lab test subjects who kept saying things like "Cowabunga", especially when I saw their named : Leonard, Don, Michael and (okay, I can't remember what the Westernized take on Raphael was).

FrontierCybrarian

Arctic Blast, you are living up to your name, especially in the Ice Mission, and having a BLAST! Way too much fun...way too much fun. The game & character humor is increasing your enjoyment it seems.

It sounds like I need to progress past level 7 to acquire a sniper rifle or scoped pistol. I'll just have to plug along until I get my hands on my favorite firearm. 

Very good and specific details about your play...thanks for sharing. Keep us appraised of your progress in BL2. I don't believe you've told us what character you are playing.

Arctic Blast

The entire Loggins mission was an hilarious send up of Top Gun. You need to drive up a stone ramp in to the Bandit air base, since it's located on a bluff. Doing so gets you a reward that referenced Goose (can't remember specifically what it was). Finally, you achieve the goal by collecting volleyballs and gasoline, then setting the volleyball net on fire. that causes Loggins to cheer that his revenge will be preventing shirtless beach volleyball matches, at which point you are attacked by a troop of Shirtless Men. Too damn funny.

FrontierCybrarian

Arctic Blast FUN FUN FUN until daddy takes the T-Bird away! That brings me to a question. In BL1 the vehicles were fun to drive but the weapons were way underpowered. Driving was mainly to get from one place to another and to avoid enemies.

I haven't got a vehicle yet, haven't played in a few days. Tell us about the vehicles in BL2...there speed, handling, and guns.

Thanks for being our BL2 contact person.

Gusington

Good to have you here FC. If you change your mind in the future about writing please do not hesitate to send stuff our way.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd