Borderlands 2: Reviews and Impressions

Started by FrontierCybrarian, September 20, 2012, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Sounding like people who don't embrace epic will have reduced options to play the latest games going forward:)  I never really got into this series so either way no big deal for me.

mbar

Since Epic Games are gobbling up exclusives I'll just postpone any PC upgrades or purchases for awhile.

FlickJax

This exclusive rubbish will even more put me off using Epic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I don't know. I'm happy using Steam, but I've also used EA and Ubisofts store. I can't see this affecting my purchase.

As someone mentioned earlier - there were plenty of naysayers (possibly even me, though I can't honestly recall) when Steam was getting stronger. Alot of people were saying they'd never succumb and yet, here we are. I doubt there are many of those diehards about now and Steam is likely their go to platform.

Upshot is, I've given in to the fact if I want a game, chances are I'll give up and go where the evil is perceived to be. What can I say - I'm weak.  :hide:
Alba gu' brath

FlickJax

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 04, 2019, 08:00:57 AM
I don't know. I'm happy using Steam, but I've also used EA and Ubisofts store. I can't see this affecting my purchase.

As someone mentioned earlier - there were plenty of naysayers (possibly even me, though I can't honestly recall) when Steam was getting stronger. Alot of people were saying they'd never succumb and yet, here we are. I doubt there are many of those diehards about now and Steam is likely their go to platform.

Upshot is, I've given in to the fact if I want a game, chances are I'll give up and go where the evil is perceived to be. What can I say - I'm weak.  :hide:

I think for me it is the use of the word exclusive as a marketing technique, they can host it where they want.  Sometimes it was a lot easier when all stores used to sell games :)

Pete Dero

I wonder if these exclusive Epic store deals are even legal.

The EU already has fined companies like Google for not allowing competition or for making it very hard for competitors to enter a market.

The US is proud of its free market and I don't know whether this de facto monopoly (even if it is only for a year) is allowed by law.

Gusington

Epic's owner (Tim) has made it clear that he has opened Epic for developers and clearly stated that he holds customers in contempt. Why would any gamer go spend money at Epic knowing that?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 04, 2019, 08:34:54 AM

The EU already has fined companies like Google for not allowing competition or for making it very hard for competitors to enter a market.

The US is proud of its free market and I don't know whether this de facto monopoly (even if it is only for a year) is allowed by law.

Unfortunately I think limited exclusives are technically legal and the wave of the future. Look how the movie industry strongarmed Netflix / redbox to hold off a month from allowing movie rentals to not reduce the physical movie sales when released to home video.
Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on April 04, 2019, 08:44:13 AM
Epic's owner (Tim) has made it clear that he has opened Epic for developers and clearly stated that he holds customers in contempt. Why would any gamer go spend money at Epic knowing that?
I guess if you don't know that he holds customers in contempt and it's a game you want - those are two reasonable reasons (if not necessarily good ones) I suppose.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 04, 2019, 08:34:54 AM

Not even a chance. Its not a "de facto monopoly". Some developers are choosing to go exclusive because they are being paid to do so, not because Epic has cornered the market and has left them with no choice. I think there is a much stronger argument that Steam has much more of a monopoly, then Epic. It is actually Epic that is taking away from Steam's near exclusive market share of the digital distribution industry. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mbar

I remember getting surly about Uplay way back but now I have it and don't think anything of it. Maybe I will warm up to Epic eventually. Soon(TM) 2021 maybe. As far as Steam goes I've never hated it. I always enjoyed being able to play different games without needing to swap CDs all the time. That and getting automatic updates.

Gusington

There's also the epic (pun intended) security fails of Tim Sweeney's shoddy client. Which is what they should rename it. If the attitude towards customers and its horrendous security state don't scare you away well then go right ahead.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Absolutely...the concept of Epic is not the problem, it is the execution. In its present state, I feel the platform is light years behind steam in terms of usability and interface. Furthermore, the rumored security flaws, data harvesting, etc. are very disturbing.

If they fix these issues and if Epic grows into something much larger than its Fortnite fanbase, then I believe it will be worth considering and I will certainly have no reservation with using it. i have steam, uplay, origin, gog galaxy, battlenet, etc. I have little issue with these platforms because they are safe and they work. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

'Safe and they work.' Sad that this has to be asked for now.

You touched on the rumor that Epic is also a poorly cloaked data harvester...which I have also read about but didn't post above.

I also use GOG, UPlay, etc., which are not exactly upstanding digital corporate citizens but Epic is just flagrant about it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd