A Call to Arms: Star Fleet

Started by Martok, April 16, 2013, 08:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

I played my first battles this past weekend at No Brand Con in Eau Claire.  And it was awesome. 

I suspect the original StarFleet Battles would be too hardcore for my tastes, but this one (which is more streamlined) was a lot of fun.  Also, A Call To Arms allows for full squadrons to face off in a reasonable amount of time (as opposed to just a ship or two per side), which makes for some hot fleet-on-fleet action.  Never enjoyed getting my ass kicked this much before.  :D 

EDIT:  http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniatures/ctastarfleet.html

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

I have the rules to it but have only briefly looked them over.

Federation Commander seems to strike a good balance between Star Fleet Battles and something light, but even it is a bit ponderous. My guess is that A Call To Arms is probably faster. At some point I'll dig out my rules and give it a try :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

eyebiter

Would be interested to read a review or AAR.

LongBlade

Quote from: eyebiter on April 16, 2013, 01:22:38 PM

Roger. I had hoped to do something like that when it first arrived but time got away from me. Now it's in a box somewhere. I think I have a good idea as to where, but it may be a couple of weeks before I can get around to it.

LongBlade

I will say that the Mongoose Star Trek minis are of good quality for the most part. In a couple of cases I had to drill out a deeper hole to insert the stand, but largely they were fine. The Romulan set didn't seem to have issues, but some of the Federation ships seemed to need a little help. Again, I intended to write something up on the minis, too, but there is that time thing.

Martok

Quote from: LongBlade on April 16, 2013, 10:17:43 AM

Federation Commander seems to strike a good balance between Star Fleet Battles and something light, but even it is a bit ponderous. My guess is that A Call To Arms is probably faster. At some point I'll dig out my rules and give it a try :)
That's what the fellow who was showing off the game said (that A Call to Arms plays faster/easier than Federation Commander). 

Even with him pausing periodically to explain various game rules/mechanics (plus both of us constantly digressing into discussing general Trek history/lore :P ), we were still able to fight a 2-on-2 match in under 3 hours, and a larger 5-on-5 slug-fest in about 6 hours.  Had I been attempting to truly/fully understand the rules/mechanics at the time, it no doubt would've taken longer, but even then I doubt it would've taken all day.  The combat mechanics seemed pretty intuitive, and I suspect most here could/would follow along even easier than I did. 

Quote from: eyebiter on April 16, 2013, 01:22:38 PM
Seconded!  (You know, during your copious amounts of spare time, of course. ;) ) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces