How to create a colonial wagon Laager

Started by nevermore, August 23, 2014, 10:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nevermore

How to create a colonial wagon Laager

I have always wanted to create my own wagon for the colonial period, get the feel of Blood River ox wagon laager, making a wagon seems simple enough, but i wanted alot of wagons.

Cash springs to mind, so ok its got to be cheap, i always wanted some of my wagons with a canvas cover, they make a wagon look good, then i came up with a perfect idea that made it look right.

Heres how i did it, if you want to copy it you can download from the workbench on the website i have no problems with that.
Total cost for making a wagon with canvas = less than 10 pence in english money the only thing paid for was the wheels from Illregular Miniatures which gets you alot of wheels for less than five pounds.

Lollypop sticks, you get 100 for a quid, 7 sticks need for a wagon, thats 14 wagons with spares

image hosting free

Matchsticks, 100s of them for a pound only need a few for a wagon

forum image hosting

Balsa wood 2o pence for a lenght, only need abit i can get 20 wagons out of this with whats lefted over

image upload with preview

image hosting

Cardboard we all throw it away, great for canvas though.

free image uploading

Huh ! toilet roll sheet ? you work out the price.

windows screen capture

Paperclips, tons of them around 30 pence, picture wire i found laying around, lets paint this sucker up then.

image uploading

Ok when painting make sure you spray it with black matt, it gets in parts where its meant to be dark and stops the paints soaking into the wood ect.

I kept the oxen team seperate from the wagon ... why ?

image url

Because i always wanted a laager

forum image hosting

http://www.victorian-steel.com/

LongBlade

Wow. Very resourceful and cool. Thanks!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

nevermore

Will print that out and show my mother ... yippeee i got a +1 pass .. lol  O0

DoctorQuest

Quote from: LongBlade on August 23, 2014, 11:04:42 AM
Wow. Very resourceful and cool. Thanks!

and economical....

Kudos. I have always admired scratch-built models. I can never figure out where to start. (I have the same problem with 3D modelling.)
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

nevermore

You can't go wrong following instructions, i made them as easy as i could, wagon are very easy its about letting things dry out for a hour or so then coming back.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: nevermore on August 25, 2014, 03:29:55 AM
You can't go wrong following instructions, i made them as easy as i could, wagon are very easy its about letting things dry out for a hour or so then coming back.

Just curious. Did you find the instructions somewhere or develop them yourself? (Or a little of both :))
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

nevermore

Nope i tend to figure things out myself and as cheap as i can