Main Menu

The Pomeranian War

Started by keppelmueller, November 06, 2016, 08:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keppelmueller

Today is Gustavus Adolphus Day!

My name is Ilja Varha, and I am the designer of the upcoming Pomeranian War DLC for Oliver Keppelmüller's strategy game The Seven Years War (1756-1763). During this November, prior to release, I will introduce you to the DLC and the history behind it.

On this date (according to Julian calendar used in Sweden at the time) Gustavus Adolphus day is celebrated in Sweden and Finland, commemorating the death of the king in battle of Lützen 1632, and all things Swedish.

Stormaktstiden - the era of great power

Sweden emerged as a great European power and forerunner of Protestantism in the 17th century. The battles fought against Russia and Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and the intervention during the Thirty Years War marked the rise of the small nation into a Nordic empire, a rise that was accomplished mainly militarily.

The reformed Swedish army under Gustavus Adolphus was said to be the most modern and best trained in Europe, when the Swedes crushed the Catholic league army in Battle of Breitenfeld, September 1631. For the use of shock tactics, large scale deployment of regimental cannons, drilling the troops to fire close range musket salvos, and fierce charges by the Hakkapeliitta cavalry, Gustavus is commonly acknowledged as one of the fathers of modern combat. He was deeply admired by later great commanders like Napoléon Bonaparte.

King Gustavus Adolphus and his troops after Breitenfeld (1631).

With such a small population, Sweden used an allotment system to fill the ranks in its army. This way of early conscription provided the needed numbers during war without having to pay for a large standing army. But it had its downside as well: for example as much as one third of Finnish male population died in military service during the 17th century. During wars Sweden also employed local mercenaries, as was the common practice.

The warrior king Adolphus defeated the Catholics also in the daring crossing of river Lech in April 1632, his masterpiece as commander-in-chief. He died in the bloody battle of Lützen, leading a cavalry charge against the Imperial left wing. After the costly victory Swedes were decisively defeated in Nördlingen in 1634, but recovered and went as far as to siege Vienna. When the Thirty Years War ended in the peace of Westphalia 1648, Sweden was among the victors. These peace terms were later to be used as casus belli when Sweden entered the Seven Years War.

Sweden's momentum was maintained in following wars. By 1660s Sweden was at the height of its size and power. During these times Sweden also possessed small colonies in Africa and North America! But by then Sweden had also made a lot of enemies. The end of the era of great power came with the Great Northern War, lasting 21 years in 1700-21. The elite Swedish carolean army, named such for serving kings Charles XI and XII, gained many great victories, like that at Battle of Narva in November 1700, but in the end the opposition was too great. Charles XII died in combat in 1718 and in the end Sweden lost much of its dominions to Prussia, Russia, Hanover, etc. The war saw the rise of Russia as a new great power under Tsar Peter I the Great, while Sweden was diminished into a mere regional power.

Caroleans assaulting the Saxons in the battle of Düna in 1701, during the Great Northern War.

The Age of Liberty

After the death of Charles XII, power was taken by the Swedish parliament of estates, the Riksdag, and the monarchs were reduced to mere figureheads. As Sweden had been an absolute monarchy since 1680, the new era was called the age of liberty. During this time two main parties were competing for power. At first power was with the Caps party and a general of the Great Northern War, Arvid Horn. The hard line Hats party was in favor of alliance with France, as it had been in the Thirty Years War. The Hats seized power in 1738 and immediately started a campaign to regain Swedish greatness.

Their first campaign was the Hats' Russian War 1741-43 fought in Finland to regain lost territory. During this war it became obvious that the Swedish army was no longer the invincible force of Gustavus Adolphus or Charles XII that struck fear all over Europe. Instead the demoralized and poorly lead army was driven back and Finland was briefly occupied by Russia, a period known as Small Wrath in Finland. When the costly war ended in treaty of Åbo (Finnish Turku), Sweden had to cede eastern part of Finland to Russia, and also promised to elect the next king according to Russian will. But if the Hats were not good at making war, their political cunning would allow them to maintain power even after this catastrophe.

The ceded part of Finland also included all the border fortifications, and work to fortify the new border began. The line of forts running from Sveaborg (Finnish Viapori, later Suomenlinna) in the Gulf of Finland, up the Kymijoki -river was never completed due to lack of funds. This along with the strong Swedish navy was taking biggest part of military spending, and the army was again neglected. At the time Swedish army had so called seniority system in use. Also titles could be sold to highest bidder. These combined meant the average Swedish officer was not the most competent one for the task, but rather the one with the money and service years.

The fortification of Sveaborg was built to protect the new border of the treaty of Åbo.

Economically Sweden was following policy of mercantilism, a financial protectionism. Some extra revenue was gained by the Swedish East India Company (SOIC), but the domestic production in Sweden and Finland suffered from small population. Increased profits were made selling tar produced in Finland.

Entering mid-18th century, the Hats held power and prepared the country for another war. The past glory of stormaktstiden was still theirs to grasp, or so they believed...

Mercantilism is one of the 2 new national policies available in Pomeranian War DLC.

The Road to War

Starting the Swedish campaign in 1750 in the Pomeranian War DLC, you can choose whether to follow the historic path into the Pomeranian War, or to try to restore the Swedish holdings in Europe. Either way, there is plenty to do to achieve the goals, and a long and difficult war ahead.

Swedish Road to War campaign scenario requires occupation of Prussian territory in Pomerania and Brandenburg. This was the historic objective for the Swedes in the war.

Sweden had lost majority of their mainland holdings in the Great Northern War. Restoring Past Glory -scenario allows you to right this wrong, but do notice the difficulty level!

As The Seven Years' War (1756-1763) has a deep and complex economic system built in it, along with population management, you will be facing the same challenges as Sweden did historically. The population will not be enough to maintain strong industry and a large military at the same time. Your armies are degraded and but a few officers up to task. You can count on the Swedish fleet though, but the coming war will be won or lost on the ground.

The army of Sweden has only a few standing units when the scenario starts, but thanks to the revised allotment (Swedish "Indelta-") system your nation's recruiting potential is high. The Swedish infantry of the time is of mediocre quality, but cavalry has maintained good competence over their foes, and the artillery has good quality cannons. But the main problem will not be the quality of your army, but rather your ability to maintain it in fighting condition! Replenishments are hard to come by, and upkeep and supply costs may prove to be hard to bear, especially so if you choose to engage your arch-enemy Russia in its territory!

The revised Swedish roster in Pomeranian War DLC.

You have time to prepare your nation to the coming war, so make it count! Along the way you may use the Swedish research potential to gain some leverage. There are also a number of historic dilemmas for you to consider, that may help in the war preparations. But remember, for the Hats only military gains will do!

Tar is needed to keep the fleets afloat, and demand in Europe is high. Nationalizing the profits will not please the producers in Finland, but they'll get over it, right?

Unleash the Swedes! Pomeranian War DLC will be released November 25th. In the meantime, why not write up a review if you enjoy the game!

Make Sweden great again! Do you have what it takes?

PS. Notice anything new in the main menu? Resume -function allows continuing battles too! The game will receive a major free patch prior to release of the Pomeranian War DLC.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/538430/

sandman2575

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I knew I felt different when I woke up this morning. Good luck with this, looks promising :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Thank you. 
This looks very interesting and clearly is a labor of love.
If you want to add many historical battles, there is a book with Orders of Battle for many Thirty Years War engagements.
Battles of the Thirty Years War, by W.P, Guthrie.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Freyland

I own two Pomeranians who bicker all the time, and I have to say, this thread fails to deliver.

panzerde

One of my favorite periods, I have the game, and I still have yet to play it. I just don't want to cope with the economic system.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mikeck

This is a game that I really want to love but I can't even start playing. I don't know why since I have not even touched it to form an opinion. It's one of my favorite historical time periods. I guess maybe because it's more of a country simulator with the economy then it is warfare like An AGEOD game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Micha

Quote from: mikeck on November 06, 2016, 04:29:04 PM
This is a game that I really want to love but I can't even start playing. I don't know why since I have not even touched it to form an opinion. It's one of my favorite historical time periods. I guess maybe because it's more of a country simulator with the economy then it is warfare like An AGEOD game
I think exactly the same.

Father Ted

My name is Father Ted and I  too own "7 YearsWar", but have yet to play it.  I think we need to start a self-help group...

Asid

The Battle Pack DLC (£3.99) Might be what you are after.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/485840

About This Content
The Seven Years War (1756-1763) Battle Pack

The Battle Pack enhances the battle experience of "The Seven Years War (1756-1763)". The DLC includes the following features:

- 6 Additional historic battles
- Build your own custom battles
- Weather effects with influence on the troops' conditions
- Order your commanders to take initiative on the battlefield
- New unit: horse artillery
- Additional unit statistics during and at the end of battles
- New quick attack and retreat orders
- Polished battle goals

The new historic battles include:
- Abraham Plains (1759)
- Sainte Foy (1760)
- Zorndorf (1758)
- Carillon (1758)
- Prague (1757)
- Lovositz (1756)
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Father Ted on November 06, 2016, 05:50:56 PM
My name is Father Ted and I  too own "7 YearsWar", but have yet to play it.  I think we need to start a self-help group...

Yep, can't wrap my head around it...

Nefaro

Having a somewhat detailed economic system, mixed in with the military grand strategy, is one reason this is still on my wishlist.  That.. and the time period portrayed, which is probably my second favorite as far as grand strategy goes.  8)

Wouldn't mind learning it, if the in-game tooltips, info, and UI are adequate.  I actually enjoy figuring games with a steep learning curve out, as long as everything has some basic info easily & readily available in the game.  Not really sure if that's the case, here, however.  I hope it is, because I'll be doing it at some point.

panzerde

I gave a battle scenario a try tonight. Got whipped, but liked what I saw. The command scheme makes sense. Graphically, it's a nice depiction of the battlefield and the action. Despite it being real time (or maybe because "real time" in this game seems to be real time unless you use time compression) I didn't feel rushed in trying to order my troops. Pause is available if that becomes an issue.

The environmental effect were particularly nice. No, graphically this isn't a AAA title, but for something resembling a wargame, done by one guy, it ain't bad.

I too like complex and difficult games. I don't mind figuring them out. I'm just completely uninterested in dealing with tech trees and building queues. Frederick the Great did not spend time in the field deciding what people in Prussia were going to research next, what they were going to trade, and what building were going to be built in Berlin during the war. Give me an AGEOD game like Rise of Prussia for the campaign scale any day.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Raied

Quote from: panzerde on November 06, 2016, 10:41:49 PM

I too like complex and difficult games. I don't mind figuring them out. I'm just completely uninterested in dealing with tech trees and building queues. Frederick the Great did not spend time in the field deciding what people in Prussia were going to research next, what they were going to trade, and what building were going to be built in Berlin during the war. Give me an AGEOD game like Rise of Prussia for the campaign scale any day.

My thought exactly, its more like a hardcore Total War game (which is a good thing) rather than a focused command simulation (which I prefer, ex: AGEOD games).