Nightfighter - Anyone wanna play?

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 26, 2015, 07:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Radar picks up the contact.  You can roll tally if you'd like.  (helps if I add the correct photo)

Staggerwing

If I've been doing this correctly then the location of the bomber now and next turn should be somewhere in these areas (attachment):
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Staggerwing

^The circle w/ arrow is where I'm thinking my next search should be if I don't tally now.

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 1, total 1[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Silent Disapproval Robot

No tally.

Your guess looks good. You just have to pick the correct hex now.  One last crack at it.

Turn 18.  I've moved the bomber.  You can move your fighter (4MP) and radar.

Staggerwing

Well, I can only reach three of the hexes inside the future probable zone.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's turn 18 so you have 4MP but yes, you can only reach the 3 closest hexes. 

Staggerwing

Search hex 1527 and move the fighter into hex 1226.

Staggerwing

I'm probably 1 hex behind anyway. 1126 would have made more sense as a last shot :(

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK.  I put your radar where you indicated in your screenie.

No contact on the radar.  Sweep indicates west.

Make your tally roll.

Staggerwing

Tally attempt:

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 5, total 5[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 6, total 6[/blockquote]

[blockquote]Rolled 1d6 : 2, total 2[/blockquote]

Staggerwing

It just occurred to me that you could divide the map into horizontal stripes of hexes based on the movement speed of the bomber, in this case 3 hexes apart and starting with the second row from top. The bombers will always have to be on one of these rows.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Almost always.  There is a chance that a bomber spotted you but didn't get spotted in return and increased throttle. 

Staggerwing

I must have missed that in the rules though I did read about the corkscrew.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Anyway....

TALLY!!!!

Off in the distance, your pilot sees streams of tracer arcing through the night skies over Rabaul.  Just for an instant, something up ahead obscures the path of the tracers.

Concentrating on the spot, you think you can just make out the outline of a 4 engine bomber and perhaps even some bluish flames from an engine exhaust.  You're almost at the limit of your flak de-confliction zone (edge) of the map.  You'll only get one crack at this and don't have time to properly line it up.  At least he appears to be flying straight and level at a constant speed.  Probably concentrating on his bomb run.

EDIT: You can attack with your oblique guns.

Your in a poor firing position so you will suffer a -2 to your firepower.  You need to roll doubles on your 1st tally to get a good initial firing position.  You can normally spend a turn getting into a good firing position but in this case, you won't have time.

Your firepower with obliques is normally 4, but becomes 0 from the poor position.  The advantage of the obliques is that there's a lower chance of the bomber successfully spotting and evading you but if they do go into evasive manoeuvres, it'll be very hard to stay with them.  It'll also be harder for their gunners to hit you if they decide to open fire.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Oops.  misread the rules.  Your firepower with obliques in a poor firing position is automatically 0, and suffers a -2. 

EDIT again:  D'oh!  Helps if I look at the right fighter.  Your plane can only attack with obliques. and with a -2.   (sorry, got all excited there.)