Vietnam 1965-1975

Started by rstites25, June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rstites25

I moved some units north out Hue to target the VC on a holding mission, just to the north. There's a 2-0-10 armored cav, 3-0-8, battalion from the 101st, a 0-7-6 artillery, and a 4-2-6 SVN unit with a 0-3-5 SVN HQ under it. I've allocated 10 air points. I used the 12 artillery points to place 2 level-1 interdiction markers. So there'll just be 10 air points available for support in the initial round.

Now it's your turn to tell me that all these units have been wasted on a 0-0-6 political unit.  :)

drep

It's a 1 0 7 Battalion that I'll disperse

JasonPratt

No kill like overkill!  :bd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

rstites25

A different tact this time.

An armored cav goes out on a clear and secure mission.

Ubercat

Quote from: rstites25 on July 06, 2017, 09:09:07 PM
I used the 12 artillery points to place 2 level-1 interdiction markers. So there'll just be 10 air points available for support in the initial round.

I know it's been more than 30 years since I played this game, but shouldn't 2 level ones only cost 6? 12 arty is enough to make one of those interdictions a level two.

Edit: Doh!! I forgot about free fire zones. NM.    :-"
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

drep

Is it just the 1 0 9 ARVN unit involved attacking 4209? I'm still groking the flowcharts for the clear and secure and search and destroy.

drep

Forgot to mention that it's a 2 0 7 VC Battalion in Phu Loc

rstites25

Quote from: drep on July 07, 2017, 11:22:29 AM
Is it just the 1 0 9 ARVN unit involved attacking 4209? I'm still groking the flowcharts for the clear and secure and search and destroy.

Yeah, just a 1-0-9. There's not much difference between clear and secure and search and destroy, especially in the first round. Pursuit allowance is reduced by 2 in subsequent rounds, but you can place a unit on hold/patrol when you're finished with it in the operation.

I take it by you giving the combat values, you want to go through with combat?

drep

Yeah I'll stick around for combat

rstites25

I figured out as much.

I figured out how to use the Combat board...which makes things even easier, it seems.

Combat Odds =  1:2       Odds DRM = -2
* Attacker Loss Column =  1 to 3.5
* Defender Loss Column =  1 to 3.5
* Terrain DRM = -1
* Combat Round 1
* **********  Combat Roll = 1  Modified Roll = -2  **********
* Defender Loss = 1
* Attacker Loss = 1
* Pursuit Result  = -3
* Combat Board Reset for New Round/Attack
* *******  Combat Resolved  *******

I don't think the module knows it's clear and secure, so that should be a -5 pursuit--not that it matters since it's negative either way.

I took the loss as a replacement point. Would you like to retreat?

drep

rstites25

I screwed up...I shouldn't have brought the 1-0-9 unit into the VC's hex. With the negative pursuit, it can't move so it has to attack. The attack isn't a big deal per se--I had planned to bring on offensive reserves. For some reason I thought that you didn't apply a negative pursuit result; but you do. Had I stopped initially in the hex adjacent, I could've just left the 1-0-9 out of the follow-on attack. But not now.

* Attacker Loss Column =  1 to 3.5
* Defender Loss Column =  1 to 3.5
* Combat Odds =  1:2       Odds DRM = -2
* Terrain DRM = -1
* Pursuit DRM = -4
* **********  Combat Roll = 2  Modified Roll = -4  **********
* Attacker Loss = 2
* Pursuit Result  = -5
* *******  Combat Resolved  *******
* *Ar Cav Bn/23 (ARVN)(I Corps)(Active) eliminated *

The unit had a +1 pursuit, so the modifier only ended up being a -4. The unit was eliminated. It's  your option if you'd like to run an operation.

drep

I don't have a problem with take-backs if you want to just place the unit next to it for the second round and bring in reserves.

rstites25

Nah. I had contemplated just removing the unit at the end of the initial combat anyway. I was treating it at as a disposable recon unit.

drep

I'll pass it back to you