Vietnam 1965-1975

Started by rstites25, June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drep

Logfile cleaned up. Second graf in 6.2 mentions that Hold/Patrol units are taken off operations if they retreat, so I changed the status to Ops complete for those units that have retreated so far.

rstites25

rstites25

I decided not to pursue another attack. I moved the 3-0-8 US battalion adjacent to the hex you retreated into. And the to ARVN units back to the road. (The HQ could pursue because it had been air mobilized).

Your option on an operation.

drep

rstites25

Attempt at a big mission.

Targeting the hex you just retreated into. The 3/199 (3-0-8) moved into the target hex. the 4/199 (3-0-8) and 6/15 (0-4-6) move into the adjacent hex to the South East. An ARVN regiment (4-2-6) from Can Tho joined them. I declared 50 air support and a Free Fire zone. 7 of the air was used to interdict at level 2 in the target hex.

Here's an image without the units, since the terrain is obscured above.

drep

I'll just disperse. VC RP go up by 7

rstites25

That's what I figured.  :(

drep

Well, that's a moment we'll both remember from this game. I understand the reverence for this game more and more.

I'm still passing.

rstites25

I updated the logfiles to the current state. I'm going to have to do some more thinking on my next move.

rstites25

Quote from: drep on July 19, 2017, 01:38:36 PM
Well, that's a moment we'll both remember from this game. I understand the reverence for this game more and more.

"I've got him trapped! I can easily interdict him so that he can't alert out of the hex. Fuck, he can still disperse. How many air points do I have to allocate so that if he doesn't disperse, I'm not stuck in a never-ending battle where I can't eliminate any units. . . "

drep

JasonPratt

I've learned from other VN games not to care much if the VC disperse. They're off the board. Sure their manpower can be used again, but once you kick them off the board and eliminate (or minimize) their ability to position back onto the board, it doesn't matter that you didn't strictly kill them. You Batman'd them.  8)

The real trick is reducing their ability to get back onto the board. Not sure how to do that in this game yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

rstites25

That's true, it's just frustrating allocating Air to eradicate them and they disappear into the jungle before you can bring the firepower to bear.

There's also a potential for a morale boost for the US for enemy units killed (but not dispersed).

JasonPratt

And considering that the NLF team's main strategy is to run out the clock on your morale, I can see the point there. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

rstites25

Search and Destroy

Target hex is surrounded. 26 combat strength, 23 artillery points, 7 air points. 6 air points spend to interdict the hex.