Strike Fighters 2 Complete on sale!

Started by Jarhead0331, July 10, 2020, 09:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Third Wire has a pretty nifty sale going that includes the entire Strike Fighters 2 collection plus all DLCs in one convenient download. If you already own everything, you get this for free. If you own the 5 base titles, you get it for 50% off.

Anyway, dated...but with mods, totally worth owning.

https://store.thirdwire.com/project_sf2_complete.htm
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

hellfish6

al_infierno

How 'necessary' would you guys say the full head-tracking gear for this game?  Curious to pick it up but I'm still a total air sim noob.  Still need to get a flight stick for IL-2  :crazy2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2020, 05:20:23 PM
How 'necessary' would you guys say the full head-tracking gear for this game?  Curious to pick it up but I'm still a total air sim noob.  Still need to get a flight stick for IL-2  :crazy2:

Necessary?  Not very.  But it is useful. 

I played the original for a long while before I got TrackIR and didn't have a complaint. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

IICptMillerII

Quote from: al_infierno on July 11, 2020, 05:20:23 PM

I would say not at all. I love me some SF2, but I fly it with an Xbox 360 controller with an xpadder profile. I've been on the move too much these past few years to carry around a joystick and TrackIR, plus I don't play flight sims very often. But SF2 is great because it is so accessible, especially considering the controller setup I use.

I would say go for it!

al_infierno

How can I say no to that?  O0  Thanks for the replies!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

DoctorQuest

I think a joystick would help you enjoy both IL-2 and SF2. If you find you really enjoy flight sims then move up to a throttle and then on to pedals. Pedals are only really "required" for helo sims IMHO but they add to the experience with any sim.

TrakIR is one of those items that folks that have them say they are indispensable. That may be true but you may want to get your control gear first.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 11, 2020, 08:23:25 PM
I think a joystick would help you enjoy both IL-2 and SF2. If you find you really enjoy flight sims then move up to a throttle and then on to pedals. Pedals are only really "required" for helo sims IMHO but they add to the experience with any sim.

TrakIR is one of those items that folks that have them say they are indispensable. That may be true but you may want to get your control gear first.

I'll say, Strike Fighters Vietnam was one of the reasons I got a HOTAS Pedals and TrackIR.   It was a game changer.   

Never regretted it and haven't looked back.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Pete Dero

I use a cheaper option for TrackIr and it works great : https://delanengineering.com/how-it-works/

About SF2 : does it work now on Windows 10 or do you have to wait for the bonus to the Strike Fighters 2 Complete Edition : 'you'll also get the Strike Fighters 2 Win10 Edition and all its DLCs'

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 12, 2020, 08:06:06 AM
I use a cheaper option for TrackIr and it works great : https://delanengineering.com/how-it-works/

About SF2 : does it work now on Windows 10 or do you have to wait for the bonus to the Strike Fighters 2 Complete Edition : 'you'll also get the Strike Fighters 2 Win10 Edition and all its DLCs'

I'm not sure what the point of the Windows 10 edition is. I run strike fighters on windows 10 now without any issue.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

trek

I read about these new releases months ago over at Combat Ace. The big draw was going to be Win 10 and DX11. So, I was hoping for an all new resurgence of the SF2 series. Didn't post anything here about it when it came out in May because TK decided to dumb-it-down like his mobile games. If you noticed in the descriptions there are NO cockpit views and you can play it with an XBox controller. Also, the line about no hard to learn flight avionics or something like that. I suspect it's just an easy way to generate sales for a quick buck which is a shame.

Anyway, I have all the original SF2's installed and with the many graphical mods and others the games looks fantastic and runs just fine on Win 10 with no problems.

trek

Follow-up! My bad! I hadn't read the Win 10 store page when I was last on it yesterday and I stand corrected! I see TK does have a new WIN 10  SF2 version coming soon. Although it doesn't say anything about cockpit views, etc. If the game is just like the original SF2 series in all respects then I guess the only reason to buy it is if you think graphically the game looks much better in DX11. Of course then I have to wonder if the multiple ground detail mods and others I already have will still be functional in the new iteration.

trek

So, reading more of the discussions on the Combat Ace forums the new version of SF2 will also use DX12. Someone said (and I don't know if this is verified) that this new version according to TK has NO other improvements except the upgrade to WIN 10 and the inclusion of DX12. 

Jarhead0331

What benefit would using DX12 give? Performance is fine as is.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

^Good question. If TK is not updating shaders or the like I guess I don't see a benefit beyond having SF2 at the latest OS and DX levels.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.