The 2015 Baseball Thread

Started by MetalDog, February 02, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Negatory, Ghost Rider.  That'd be the Metropolitans.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: MetalDog on October 20, 2015, 11:15:22 PMThat'd be the Metropolitans.

Just remember that MD cheers for The Yankees, 'Bama football, the Russians at Stalingrad, the Galactic Empire, and gravity, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

SOMEone has to be the sleaze of the universe!  Just think of the great sacrifice I am making on behalf of you all!

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 21, 2015, 05:33:31 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on October 20, 2015, 11:15:22 PMThat'd be the Metropolitans.

Just remember that MD cheers for The Yankees, 'Bama football, the Russians at Stalingrad, the Galactic Empire, and gravity, too.

Geez that really make MD sound like an asshole.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on October 21, 2015, 08:11:34 AM

success!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 21, 2015, 08:36:22 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 21, 2015, 08:11:34 AM

success!

I say again,

Quote from: MetalDog on October 21, 2015, 06:05:14 AM
SOMEone has to be the sleaze of the universe!  Just think of the great sacrifice I am making on behalf of you all!

Arctic Blast

Hell, I'm with you cheering for the Mets. I wish Syndergaard and d'Arnaud were still in the Jays system!

bayonetbrant

MetalDog

Just saw Joey Bats crush a pitch to Left Field.  He just destroyed it.  My question, how come he didn't fish face it and stand there staring for an hour and then throw his bat forty or fifty yards?  It's a home tun, isn't it?  It's a joyful occasion and scored runs like the other one he hit, so, what gives?  Isn't it ok to do that all the time?  Cuz it's fun and that's, "just the kind of guy he is?" 

MetalDog

Didn't pull any of that showboat crap on his second home run, either.  And this one tied the game!  All of which leads me to conclude that the over the top showmanship of that bs performance he put on was just that, show.  And he KNOWS he did what he did to show up the other team.  Which is Bush League and makes the game look bad.  At least, it makes HIM look bad.

Arctic Blast

As opposed to Yordano Ventura looking like a total class act as he stares down Tulo and starts walking towards him after striking him out to end an inning? And Ventura has a history of histrionics like this? Oh wait, that's right, we have different rules when pitchers do this stuff.

WHO CARES? I'd like MORE honest emotion in sports and fewer robots in uniforms. I like a guy getting pumped up when he does something big. (I don't like it when it's clearly not 'in the moment' and something invented ahead of time, such as overly elaborate TD dances or anything using a prop. Nothing is lamer than that). It doesn't spoil the game, and claiming otherwise just seems like overly emotional nonsense to me.

And for the record, I didn't hate Ventura for his act, either...I just thought it was weirdly timed.

MetalDog

Tulo stepped out right when Ventura was ready to pitch.  Widely regarded as against the "unwritten rules" and risking a fastball to the ribs.  Ventura stared down the ump because time was granted to the hitter.

I will certainly own my feelings about crap like Bautista pulled.  I think it's bush and juvenile and bad sportsmanship.  And to do something like that after you look down your nose at a guy on another team who did something against the "unwritten rules" not a few weeks earlier, just shows what kind of hypocrite Jose is, too.

In the end, I can't tell you how you view it is wrong.  If that's what you like, then that's what you like.  And I'll even admit, if he was doing it for my team, I'd be a bit more open to it.  But he still shouldn't have done it.  It's not how I want to draw people to my favorite sport.

Arctic Blast

Nothing annoys me more in baseball than the 'unwritten rules'. No other sport has this pretentious crap about 'unwritten rules' and 'double-secret expectations' and the like. As someone who came around the baseball much later in life, I'll say that I find it obnoxious.

However, EVERY sport has people complaining whenever a player does anything that they perceive as 'outside the lines'. Half the reason I get so heated about this is years of listening to hockey fans have a fit whenever a hockey player speaks his mind or goes beyond the usual worthless platitudes of 'we have to bury our chances' or 'we gave it 110%'. (And no, I'm not saying in any way that you're anywhere close to this)

On another subject, THIS STUDIO SHOW DURING THE RAIN DELAY IS INTOLERABLE. Why in the world would you put Alex F'n Rodriguez in there? Do you WANT people to hate you?!

MetalDog

I don't get ANY of who they chose for the studio!  Pete Rose?  A-Rod?  Seriously?

Arctic Blast

Never before have I been so happy to hear Joe Buck and Harold Reynolds.