The 2015 Baseball Thread

Started by MetalDog, February 02, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

LOL!  I wanna say that I wouldn't go THAT far.....but....yeah, you're right :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Arctic Blast

The strike zone this inning is just weird. That pitch that made it 2-1 Donaldson looked like a strike to me.

MetalDog

Me, too.  Congrats to the Royals.  Now where's Bison to put his two cents in?

Arctic Blast

That was a great game. Sad the Jays lost, but you can't leave as many men on base as they did in this one. Price pitched a fantastic game this time around, but it wasn't to be.

This also shapes up as a really good World Series. I like the way the Royals play ball, but the Mets are fun to watch, too. No games until Tuesday, though.  :'(

MetalDog

It's two pitchers parks and one great starting staff versus a great relief corps.  Rooting for the Mets.  Really for no reason other than they aren't Kansas City.

Bison

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 23, 2015, 10:47:24 PM
Never before have I been so happy to hear Joe Buck and Harold Reynolds.
Me too.  Should be a good series.

Bison

Holy epic 1st game of the World Series!

Bison

During the game tonight the MLB commentators, John Smoltz was the analyst who is great by the way, they brought up Bret Saberhagen.   I'm just mystified that he never made a strong run at the HoF with the voters.  He was certainly a bit inconsistent over the years, but he was also very dominate.  2 Cy Young Awards and nearly a third when he pitched for the Mets.  2 complete game World Series wins.  Odd.  Just seems like he should have received more consideration.  Then again Tim Raines isn't in the hall either which is a complete shame.

MetalDog

They used to say that Raines slid head first so he didn't break the coke vial in his back pocket.  And I believe THAT is what will keep Timmy out.  Saberhagen had the two dominant Cy Young years, but, that's pretty much it.  He won 167 games with a 3.34 career ERA.  Hardly HoF numbers.

Bison

Raines was just over shadowed by Henderson and playing on the Expos.  I don't know about the coke use or not.  It wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know that Saberhagen deserves to be in the hall in the end most likely not as he just had a number of off years.  That honestly I think had more to do with playing on some pretty subpar teams.  If he'd been pitching on better teams more consistently, his wins record would have been much better and a 3.34 ERA is not a bad ERA at all.  I'm just saying that he should at least have garnered some considerations being a two time Cy Young winner. 

MetalDog

The problem with the Hall is, no set criteria for entry.  When Mike Mussina retired, a lot of people think he should be in the Hall.  270 career wins, 2800+ K's and double digit wins EVERY full year he played in the Majors.  But he was never a "dominant" pitcher and didn't win 20 in a season until his last year in 2008.  Those things will help keep him out.  As for playing on crappy teams, that's really no excuse.  There are tales of great seasons on crappy teams spread throughout the history of baseball.  Looking through Royals colored glasses isn't helping you, Bison ;)

Bison

Mussina should be in the hall.   I think what I hate most about the hall selection is WHO is allowed to vote.  Frankly I'm not sure some of them deserved to be a lifetime voter.  Also I think sometimes the stats outweigh everything.  The reality is that baseball goes through eras.  Mussina did what he did during the drugged performance period of hitters.  That says something too, but of course some dipshit couch sitter who couldn't throw a strike has the audacity to be "well Mussina didn't win 20 wins consistently"....blah, blah, blah.  Mussian was a dominate pitcher in his era and as far as I know has never been tainted like Clements or others with using PEDs.  That says something too.

Actually Saberhagen played less then half of his career in the Royal blue.  His dominance is just associated with the two Cy Young awards  and insanely overpowering performances in the 85 series.  He was pretty damned good in a number of seasons after he when he went to the Mets too.  He placed I think 3rd for the Cy Young award the year he went to the Mets.

bayonetbrant

I'd put Moose in before Saberhagen.  Brett was good, but only occasionally great.  One might argue that David Wells had a better overall career than Saberhagen.  What really sets Saberhagen apart from guys like Jamie Moyer or David Cone or Roy Oswalt or Mike Hampton?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 29, 2015, 06:47:23 PM
I'd put Moose in before Saberhagen.  Brett was good, but only occasionally great.  One might argue that David Wells had a better overall career than Saberhagen.  What really sets Saberhagen apart from guys like Jamie Moyer or David Cone or Roy Oswalt or Mike Hampton?

Cy Young awards.  Two.  Not many pitchers get two.