2018 Running Baseball Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, January 23, 2018, 11:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I've watched the majority of Royals games this season and it's been painful.  The pitching is a mess and the hitting is horrible other than Moose.  Gordon would be warming the bench if he wasn't such a good fielder.

bayonetbrant

Jayson Stark crunching numbers on Pujols' career so far

https://theathletic.com/341022/2018/05/05/stark-ten-numbers-that-define-albert-pujols-amazing-career/

I love this one:
176 – You can't be the best if you can't hit the best. And here's the magic number that proves it. It's the number of hits Pujols has gotten against Cy Young award winners in his career. He has faced 27 of them – and hit .300 or better against 15 of them: Greg Maddux, Clayton Kershaw, Randy Johnson, Zack Greinke, Rick Porcello, David Price, Tom Glavine, Roger Clemens, Bartolo Colon, Jake Peavy, Justin Verlander, Barry Zito, Johan Santana, John Smoltz and Tim Lincecum. Over the first 17 seasons of his career, Albert averaged 175 hits a year. So in essence, he has gotten a full season's worth of hits against the best pitchers alive.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

wow

Quote{Verlander}'s now made 16 regular-season starts since being traded from Detroit to Houston toward the end of last August's waiver period, and over that span he's allowed a total of 15 runs in 108 2/3 innings.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

It's got to be playing for a winning team.  He was washed up before he came over.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Bartolo Colon is the last remaining active player who was ever a member of the Montreal Expos.

And there can't be a whole lot of guys left playing that were born in the 1970s, can there?

I mean, born in 1979 = 38-39 years old, and that's pretty old for a baseball player,

edit:  Google is your friend...

https://www.mlb.com/news/who-are-the-oldest-active-players-in-mlb/c-268758260

although this was from March, so Ichiro is now off the list.

bayonetbrant

Other careers that have existed within the time span of Bartolo Colon's career

airboy

Auburn knocked out NCSU in Raleigh to advance to the Super Regionals. 

Auburn has been a very weird team this year.  They are either next to unstoppable or the wheels fall off.  They go on very long win streaks, then collapse.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on June 04, 2018, 08:18:41 AM

NC State looked unstoppable for 3 months and was the #2 team in the nation going into a series with UNC.  They got swept at home by the Tar Heels and then completely fell apart after that.  There's 8 major league players on that roster, easily, including most of the pitching staff.  But they totally gacked up against UNC and never recovered.

Congrats to Auburn, though.  They hammered NC State and never let them get back in the game last night. 
As I understand it, this is Auburn's first trip to the Super Regionals since 89?

bayonetbrant

I love this tidbit about the MLB draft...

https://theathletic.com/381871/2018/06/06/stewart-mandel-mailbag-college-football-toughest-nonconference-schedules/?source=grogheads

(my emphasis in the answer)

QuoteI noticed the Oakland A's took Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray with the ninth pick in this week's draft. It seems like a no-brainer (to play baseball), except that I read where he has stated he still wants to play football this season! My question is: How often does this really happen in college for multiple-sport players?

Baseball has long been a popular second sport for football players — specifically quarterbacks. Just to name a few during my time on this beat who got drafted while in college: Michigan's Drew Henson (Yankees), Stanford's Chad Hutchinson (Cardinals), Oklahoma State's Josh Fields (White Sox), Clemson's Kyle Parker (Rockies) and, of course, N.C. State/Wisconsin's Russell Wilson (Rockies).

But I can't recall a situation quite like this one where A) Murray was selected so high (high enough to be slotted at $4.7 million) and B) still plans to stick with football for one more season before reporting to the minors. The closest comparison would be Henson, who signed with the Yankees out of high school with the stipulation he would play football in college (which he did for three seasons) and baseball in the summers, like Wilson later did before his last two college football seasons.

That $4.7 million figure is just a starting point in Murray's negotiations with the A's. He could sign for more or less or not sign at all. (The sides have until July 6 to get a deal done or the A's lose his rights.)

If he does get that number, though, and sticks to his word to suit up for the Sooners this fall, he presumably would be the highest-paid athlete ever to play college football. In fact, as of today, he'd be making more than his coach, Lincoln Riley ($3.1 million).

It's an unusual situation to say the least, and it makes you wonder again why the NCAA is OK with a football player making nearly $5 million while still in college for his talents in another sport but not OK with him or any other football player making even $1 on the side for marketing their talents in that sport.

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 04, 2018, 08:27:10 AM
Quote from: airboy on June 04, 2018, 08:18:41 AM

NC State looked unstoppable for 3 months and was the #2 team in the nation going into a series with UNC.  They got swept at home by the Tar Heels and then completely fell apart after that.  There's 8 major league players on that roster, easily, including most of the pitching staff.  But they totally gacked up against UNC and never recovered.

Congrats to Auburn, though.  They hammered NC State and never let them get back in the game last night. 
As I understand it, this is Auburn's first trip to the Super Regionals since 89?

I think first trip to the super regionals in about 12 years, not 30.

bayonetbrant

airboy

UNC made it to the College World Series.  Admittedly, I've not really followed them this season.

Auburn started their best pitcher (#1 draft pick) in the first game at Florida and he got shelled.  They have to win 2 in a row in Gainesville which seems unlikely.

bayonetbrant

UNC hasn't had the most talented team that they have had recently, but they seem to have an uncanny knack for perfect timing. Their situational hitting this year has been excellent

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

3 of the AL's starting all-star infielders are named José

Both starting catchers are named Wilson