Dominus Galaxia - beta keys

Started by Martok, February 21, 2020, 12:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Hey everyone! 

Due to my backer level for the game's successful Kickstarter campaign, I have two (Steam) beta keys to give out for Dominus Galaxia, a space 4x title currently in development.  (We have an earlier thread discussing the game here.)  If anyone is interested in a beta key, please send me a PM.  Happy gaming!  8) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

al_infierno

Very cool!  :clap:

Any thoughts on the game so far?  I'm not really a big 4X gamer so I'd rather not take the key from somebody who will actually use it, but I'm curious what people think.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Martok

Quote from: al_infierno on February 21, 2020, 12:41:47 AM
Very cool!  :clap:

Any thoughts on the game so far?  I'm not really a big 4X gamer so I'd rather not take the key from somebody who will actually use it, but I'm curious what people think.
Well so far there's been no takers, so I don't think you need to worry too much about that part.  ;)  If you'd like a key, just let me know! 

As for the game itself, it's strongly (and deliberately) reminiscent of MOO1.  There's a pretty heavy focus on strategy over micromanagement: the game uses lots of sliders (including managing production on your colonies), ship design is nicely functional without being complex, etc.  I haven't fought many battles yet, but it seems like the dev has a pretty decent system in place for it. 

In regards the actual state of the game, DG is already quite playable.  There are still bugs, of course, but I've run into nothing game-breaking so far, and Jeff (the main developer) patches/updates the game frequently.  At this point, the main issue is just that the game is missing full implementation of features -- only two of the races are currently playable, the tech tree is rather bare-bones, etc.  I'm happy to say the game already has a solid foundation, however; I'm definitely looking forward to this one reaching full release state.  :) 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

hellfish6

Looks like every other space 4X i've ever played. It kinda bums me out that MOO1 is still the standard by which we measure all space 4X games.

Destraex

My son who loves stellaris might enjoy this if you want to get rid of a key. I'd appreciate it. If not and you'd rather keep it specifically for a member here that will give you feedback on it, that's fine as well.
Again I would have loved it if more games used wego for combat.
We just got the board game eclipse to try btw. It looks like it may become my fav board gsme,
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tanaka

Quote from: Martok on February 21, 2020, 12:38:57 AM
Hey everyone! 

Due to my backer level for the game's successful Kickstarter campaign, I have two (Steam) beta keys to give out for Dominus Galaxia, a space 4x title currently in development.  (We have an earlier thread discussing the game here.)  If anyone is interested in a beta key, please send me a PM.  Happy gaming!  8)

Hi Martok is this beta only or do you get to keep upon release? I'd be interested if so?

Martok

Steam keys have been distributed.  Thanks, everyone! 

Quote from: hellfish6 on February 23, 2020, 06:33:58 AM
Looks like every other space 4X i've ever played. It kinda bums me out that MOO1 is still the standard by which we measure all space 4X games.
Actually, it's MOO2 that's generally considered the genre's benchmark, and has therefore seen umpteen clones (a few good, most not) over the last 10-15 years.  MOO1 gets some respect, but tends to be overshadowed by its successor, which I feel is a pity. 

That's one reason Dominus Galaxia appeals to me: because it takes its main inspiration from the 1st game, not the 2nd (which I'll probably forever judge as being overrated).  Not that I don't enjoy MOO2-style 4x games, but they do tend to focus more on micromanagement & optimization over actual strategy.  DG may not look like much to you -- and I can certainly understand why -- but to me, I find it to be a breath of fresh air. 

Quote from: Tanaka on February 23, 2020, 09:22:01 PM
Hi Martok is this beta only or do you get to keep upon release? I'd be interested if so?
So funny thing (because I'd started asking myself the same question):  I'd had it locked in my head that the keys were for beta access only.  However, when I went back and double-checked my actual Kickstarter level again, I realized they're actually for the full game.  (Oops!)  But at least it's a mistake in my/our favor.  :uglystupid2: 

solops

I think it looks interesting. I'd like a key, if still available.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Anguille

Quote from: solops on February 24, 2020, 11:46:48 AM
I think it looks interesting. I'd like a key, if still available.
I can give you one. I'll send you a PM later.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Martok

You're welcome, Destraex!  Happy to be of service.  8) 

Anguille, appreciate you hooking up solopsFint arbeid.  :clap: 

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on February 25, 2020, 12:53:49 AM
Anguille, appreciate you hooking up solopsFint arbeid.  :clap:
Always ready to be of service ;)