Gulf War 1990: Iraq Attack!

Started by MengJiao, May 21, 2020, 05:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

In this scenario, I'm trying to take over a big Chunk of Saudi Arabia to go with my seizure of Kuwait.  Things start off well:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on May 21, 2020, 05:35:33 PM

In this scenario, I'm trying to take over a big Chunk of Saudi Arabia to go with my seizure of Kuwait.  Things start off well:

And the Iraqis go a long way in 8 weeks:

Gusington

Is this a Wars Across the World scenario?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Yep!

Did I just buy the engine and both Seasons for about $43 total? .... maybe. (The steam purchase doesn't seem to have gone through correctly.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2020, 09:45:54 AM
Is this a Wars Across the World scenario?

Yep.  The cards can play some odd tricks.  On Turn 11...with Iraq about to take Doha...the "Release Western Hostages" card came up and the UN decided to bomb Iraq into the Stone Age (as they say...presumably just to the vaguely metallic edge of the Neolithic, but you never know).  The B-52s appeared over Baghadad and the world came to an end.  The game froze.  I "re-engineered" the cards and re-ran the game from the last pre-hostage release phase and the only card that appeared was "Plague"...with a lot of fine print.  The game worked but there were no more cards (due, I guess, to the "Plague") and of course Iraq took the whole map.

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 22, 2020, 09:50:20 AM
Yep!

Did I just buy the engine and both Seasons for about $43 total? .... maybe. (The steam purchase doesn't seem to have gone through correctly.)

I only bought the engine and one season for about 23 dollars.  The scenarios vary a lot in quality and the cards can be...odd.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on May 22, 2020, 11:37:38 AM
How's the quality of this one?

I think it is one of the best.  However, as one often finds with games, the AI might only work from the side that players tend not to favor (in this case really who wants to picture themselves as Saddam Hussein? It's like being the Russians in "The Back-handed Blow" and finding out the German AI can't even save Army Group A cuz a little detour of say the Second Guards army to Rostov will quickly end their little vacation in the Caucasus...)...so wierid things might happen with the cards if you are doing well as Saddam.  At least it should be easy to mod the cards (they are in a perfectly nice JSON file and if you are careful you can pull out the "Western Hostage " cards AND/Or make sure there is something in Baghdad for the B-52s to blow up)

Anyway, as long as you play the historically well-defined side, probably most of the scenarios sort of work.  So don't be the Persians in the Persian war of 1854 cuz you will slaughter the East India Company beyond all belief etc. etc.

On the other hand, the two-player situation probably works find most of the time.

JasonPratt

Worth noting that the recent Winter War game rebuilds the engine from the ground up.

I was impressed at the effort going into the modules. There are some damn obscure conflicts, like the Soccer War of 1969. (Not actually about soccer.) That's what sold me on it at last, after time for bugs to be worked on. (Sort of.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 22, 2020, 02:36:16 PM
Worth noting that the recent Winter War game rebuilds the engine from the ground up.

I was impressed at the effort going into the modules. There are some damn obscure conflicts, like the Soccer War of 1969. (Not actually about soccer.) That's what sold me on it at last, after time for bugs to be worked on. (Sort of.)

Winter War (like most WAW scenarios) has quirks that can be fixed up a bit.  What's nice about WAW is that it should be pretty easy to mod and/or make user scenarios (though they will be quirky -- which can be mostly okay).

I don't think pursuing the obscurity of the obscure is really the strongpoint of the WAW engine...its more like slightly alternative worlds (due to the cards).  A lot of the WAW stuff is not obscure at all (eg. Tannenburg, Saratoga, 1805 in Europe, Korea 1950,  Normandy, Battle of the Bulge).