Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Started by WallysWorld, May 16, 2020, 05:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Very much looking forward to this! I enjoyed the Enterprise crew on Discovery with the excellent choices for playing the original characters.

It's official! After months of speculation — and wishful thinking —  CBS All Access has confirmed that Captain Pike is coming back, with Spock and Number One along for the ride, in the new spin-off series "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds."

Star Trek Pike series gets the official go-ahead
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

SirAndrewD

Yet again, more or less what I wanted instead of Discovery. 

I hope they take some time to wash some of the stink Discovery left on the TOS era but I won't get my hopes up. 

Still, I love the actors they got for the Enterprise in Discovery Season 2, and even like the updated design of the ship even though I wish they'd kept it just a bit closer to the original both interior and exterior. 

Still it felt like and was recognizably the Enterprise and Anson Mount is a fantastic Pike. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Martok

I'm interested, but am too cynical at this point to actually be hopeful about it. 

If SNW manages to mostly just ignore Discovery and actually stick with canon, I'll probably enjoy it.  If instead, however, it insists on incorporating all that bull****, I'm out. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

I will always remember fondly the 90's with TNG, DS9 and Voyager....

JasonPratt

Quote from: Martok on May 18, 2020, 03:36:25 AM
I'm interested, but am too cynical at this point to actually be hopeful about it.

Same. Good writing for a change will help a lot. They've got the production values nailed (more or less) already.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on May 18, 2020, 04:05:31 AM
You and me both, my friend.  I was admittedly never a fan of Voyager, but that shit practically looks like Shakespeare now.  :P 

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 18, 2020, 08:18:39 AM
Quote from: Martok on May 18, 2020, 03:36:25 AM

Same. Good writing for a change will help a lot. They've got the production values nailed (more or less) already.
Agreed.  It doesn't matter how good it looks, if it doesn't have decent storylines and/or characters. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

Well, let's see, the lead writers will be Alex Kurtzman, Akiva Goldsman, and Jenny Lumet.

...this does not totally fill me with optimism about the writing quality.  :-\

Edited to add: "This new series will be a perfect complement to the franchise, bringing a whole new perspective and series of adventures to Star Trek." Hm. "[A] whole new perspective" combined with blatant appeal to classic characters fans have long cared about and "getting back to a Star Trek that focuses on optimism and the future" in a "curious and welcoming and unifying way".
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

MetalDog

So Kirk DOESN'T cheat on the Kobiyashi Maru?!?!?!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Please. Kirk cheats on all his lovers.  ::)

Sir Slash

The Needs of the Kirk out-weigh the needs of the Many.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Dude, the Kirk as a misogynist and a slut trope is so overused and completely not borne out my on screen evidence.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on May 18, 2020, 07:56:08 PM
Quote from: Anguille on May 18, 2020, 04:05:31 AM
You and me both, my friend.  I was admittedly never a fan of Voyager, but that shit practically looks like Shakespeare now.  :P 
It wasn't my favorite either but the Star Trek world was still the one we knew. The first season was probably the best one.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 19, 2020, 11:32:33 PM
Dude, the Kirk as a misogynist and a slut trope is so overused and completely not borne out my on screen evidence.

I've never thought of him as a misogynist for a moment -- and I agree there's no screen evidence that he hates women in any way. But there's some screen evidence that he sleeps around a lot. TO SAY THE LEAST! ;)

The show goes so far to poke some fun at how much he sleeps around. They even created some characters specifically to capitalize on that character trait (Helen of Troyas comes to mind as one of the more serious examples).

JasonPratt

Anyway, it could be worse. StarTrek.com itself recently posted an article boasting about how the writers of ST:Picard (and Patrick Stewart playing along in apparently full agreement) intentionally went out of their way to "humble" Picard, from the first episode onward, in the most cloyingly politically correct fashions possible. I honestly can't tell if it's being sarcastic about fan complaints and writing an article meant as satire...??  ???

GDS_Starfury

y'all are some jaded, salty bitches.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.