What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

About to crack open Honour the Chapter. More successor Chapter character options for players! Sweetness!

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Bison on January 30, 2013, 05:44:20 PM
This is true.  I also like the fact that as I'm looking a one title there are several recommended titles that cover the same sorts of materials.  I've made many impulse purchases that way.  Wait that might not be a good thing I better think about that for awhile...

This is very true, and very dangerous.

Bison

The Forever War, by Joe Haldeman.

TheCommandTent

Found some old Calvin and Hobbes books, so yeah I'm doing some heavy reading now :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 31, 2013, 09:18:14 AM

Found some old Calvin and Hobbes books, so yeah I'm doing some heavy reading now :)

In all seriousness, Calvin and Hobbes may be the pinnacle of American literary achievement  :).

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on January 31, 2013, 07:10:58 AM

Probably my favourite SF book of all time. Re-read my copy until the pages fell out.

Longdan

Quote from: Barthheart on January 31, 2013, 11:10:53 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 31, 2013, 07:10:58 AM

Probably my favourite SF book of all time. Re-read my copy until the pages fell out.

I read it many yarens ago.  It is full of interesting concepts, many of which others have gleefully stolen.
It is a real post-Viet Nam novel actually written while that carnival was still in progress.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Martok

Having just finished The Red Badge of Courage, I've now begun rereading another book (or rather, omnibus volume in this case) that I've not looked at in ages:  The Complete Sherlock Holmes

Not surprisingly, I'm starting with A Study in Scarlet, the very first book.  I don't intend to read all the stories straight through -- I think I'd prefer to intersperse them among books of other genres -- but we'll see what happens. 

Excellent!  I've still got all the books somewhere in a box upstairs.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

This reminds me that I totally intend to donate my Calv/Hobbes books to my nieces someday soon.  :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 31, 2013, 10:47:58 AM

In all seriousness, Calvin and Hobbes may be the pinnacle of American literary achievement  :).
Oh hey, look who's here!  (Gah, I'm slow on the uptake today...)  Hope you're staying out of trouble over there, man.  :) 

In any case, you may well be correct.  Definitely my favorite comic strip of all time -- one of the all-time greats, right up there with Peanuts IMHO. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 31, 2013, 01:52:30 PM
This reminds me that I totally intend to donate my Calv/Hobbes books to my nieces someday soon.  :)
A most generous donation, good sir.  I hope they appreciate it! 

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on January 31, 2013, 10:47:58 AM

You sir have good taste in literature.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

MetalDog

I believe there to be a triumverate at the top: Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County and FoxTrot.  Honorable mention to The Far Side.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

besilarius

Over the Hedge has its moments.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

TheCommandTent