What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I got an email from Amazon today (after yesterday's purchase) that the physical copy of Diablo III is now available for pre-order. So I did so. And threw in the Diablo III companion book and one other ghost story (Apartment 16) I've been wanting to read forever. So this weeks total at Amazon: 125.00. Ouch.

And to think I was just reminiscing 'hey I haven't bought anything at Amazon for a few weeks.' It's like they have a direct line into my brain. Damn them.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I'm reading the third novel in the Horus Heresy series.

Galaxy In Flames by Ben Counter.  I'm devouring these books at a rate I have never been able to accomplish before in my life.  These books are that good.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I want to start the Horus series too. Just so many waking hours in then day.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

When I go to visit my friends in St. Cloud tomorrow, on my way up I'm stopping at B&N to grab a copy of A Rising Thunder (the new Honor Harrington novel) by David Weber.  Giggity! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Fetrik

I just finished reading A Dance of Dragons (song of fire and ice 5). I had sort of dreaded reading the book because the book wasn't highly rated on Amazon. But to me (tilt included) it was a 4,5 star book. Since it was a few years since i read it  i just started re-reading book 4.

After that i got a bunch of books lying on my sofa, 5 Warhammer books and a few boks from Elizabeth Moon in the successor to her Paksennarion series and a couple of WWII books.

DoctorQuest

Over the last few years I've been collecting the Time/Life series "Epic of Flight." They are 30+ years old now but are still a good source for aviation history.

I recently found three volumes on sale used at my local library for 25 cents each. A good deal I would say. I'm working my way through:

The Aeronauts
First Aviators
Soldiers of Fortune (A very interesting history of mercenary pilots)

I'm going back to this library.......:)
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

Aeronauts? Sounds steampunk-esque.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Decided to switch up from my usual genres of historical fiction and history and started reading the first SF series I've picked up in years.  Finished The Old Man's War last week and rather enjoyed it.  Not exactly the deepest book but I found it entertaining.  I should check and see if this book or Avatar came out first as one borrowed from the other.  I picked up the second book in the series, The Ghost Brigades and I'm enjoying that one too.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 08, 2012, 04:01:15 PM
Decided to switch up from my usual genres of historical fiction and history and started reading the first SF series I've picked up in years.  Finished The Old Man's War last week and rather enjoyed it.  Not exactly the deepest book but I found it entertaining.  I should check and see if this book or Avatar came out first as one borrowed from the other.  I picked up the second book in the series, The Ghost Brigades and I'm enjoying that one too.

I read Old Man's War last month and I, too, liked it. I'm planning on getting Ghost Brigades after I finish a few other books.
Scalzi's book came out in 2005 so before the Avatar the movie. BTW, OM'sW has been bought by Paramount for a movie
project as well With Wolfgang Peterson as director.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

I just started to read, When the Devil Dances by John Ringo, but I cannot get into.  I liked the first two books, but just cannot get into this one.  I think it's because the main character is the only one with a brain and everyone else would be dead without him, everyone being the entire population of Earth. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Toonces

I have a very large list of book that I have started but not finished reading lately, but the group I am sticking with for now are:

With Fire and Sword by Henryk Siekiewicz: http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Historical-Poland-Russia-ebook/dp/B005HKK7UG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334018894&sr=8-2

I got this for free for my Kindle and I am really surprised that I am sticking with it.  The beginning of the book was tough to get through but I had a feeling there was a good story in there so I bulled through.  I'm approaching 50% complete now and the story is really picking up so I think there is a good chance that I will finish it.  I would give this book one solid thumbs up- definitely not for everybody, but I would guess that a significant number of forumites here would groove on it.  It's very violent.

The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck: http://www.amazon.com/Acts-Arthur-Noble-Knights-ebook/dp/B001MSMUHA/ref=sr_1_9?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1334019127&sr=1-9

I'm still searching for my own personal holy grail of King Arthur lore.  I started reading Malory figuring it was a good idea to start with the classic, but then I came across this version at the library on base the other day.  It's a very easy read.  I'm not really enjoying it too much.  The stories don't have much meat to them.  I will finish it because I want the background info for my Pendragon campaign, but I will definitely be looking for better historical KA fiction in the future.

Shadowmarch by Tad Williams: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowmarch-Volume-I-Tad-Williams/dp/0756402700/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

This book isn't horrible.  I'm 80% done.  I started it quite a while ago, got distracted for a few weeks, and am now returning to it.  It's interesting.  I am not sure if I'm going to continue through the whole trilogy.  I think I will finish this one and give the second book about 50 pages.  If it grabs me I'll stick with it; if not, I'm going to move on to The Sword of Shanara trilogy, which I have sitting on my desk ready to go.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

Deep into 'Surface Detail' now - I just love the Culture books.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

I'm about to start reading an illustrated version of War of the Worlds.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

^Cool. One of my all time favorites.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

Finally finished reading through the core book for Black Crusade. Still in a 40K mood, so I think I'll hop back in to the Horus Heresy series and start on Galaxy in Flames.