What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Finally finished Descent of Angels last night.  [book 6 of the Horus Heresy series]

I liked this book but felt that it ended abruptly.  Fortunately I read Fall of Angels out of sequence with this series so I do know what "happens next" but for those who are reading the series in chronological order, they may be left with more to be desired.  Put Descent of Angels into context with the big picture and you'll be fine though.

Now onto Legion!

P.S.  The more of the Horus Heresy series I read, the more I realize that the Star Wars story blows chunks badly.  Star Wars was created by a drunken three year old who has no control over his temper tantrums.  The WH40K universe is a masterpiece created by many brilliant story tellers.  Ok?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

I've got a new book coming from Black Library on the Adeptus Mechanicum! I haven't read anything in WH40K since last year's Space Wolves. Psyched. I also have to read Abnett's Titanicus...don't know if I can be disciplined enough to read that first and then move on to the new title. I also have the Gothic War books to read. Might read those while playing Endless Space or Legends of Pegasus, since I cannot find a good WH40K capital ship mod out there.

BTW the name of the new title is Priests of Mars. It appears to be a standalone title and includes archaeological and historical WH40K plotlines.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

I envy you Gus.  Those all sound like great books.  I really want to read Adeptus Mechanicum but so far I have disciplined myself to sticking to the Heresy for now.  Once I get to book ten however, I believe that is where the Adeptus Mechanicum steps in.

Abnett is probably the best of all the WH40K authors so you probably won't be disappointed with Titanicus.  So many books, computer games, console games, and beer to drink, but so little time.  So damn little time...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^It's the time and the inability to multitask that really gets me.

The historian in me wants to read Titanicus first to get a good back story for Priests of Mars but I am growing a little impatient.

Oh I also picked up the Warhammer omnibus Vampire Wars to read while playing Warlock.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Currently I'm reading Wrath of Iron by Chris Wright.  Its a WH: 40K battle book about an invasion of a traitor world led by a force of Iron Hands Space Marines.  It's pretty good so far...the Iron Hands are a strange bunch of dudes, but they sure can kick some serious butt.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

They were supposed to be one of the 'First Founding' Legions, if my 40K memory serves me right, and provided the cadre for several other chapters after the Heresy.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Any of you guys read Titanicus?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2012, 01:31:17 PM
Any of you guys read Titanicus?

Yes. There's a review of mine on WG somewhere.

<looks around>

Found it. Ah, yes. Almost forgot about those days...too much LDS I suppose. That was when I was going by the nom de plume Scott Parrino: http://www.wargamer.com/article/2746/titanicus
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Thanks. I am trying to decide whether to read Titanicus or Eisenhorn next.

And if you liked Titanicus you will like Priests of Mars, I think. It's just been released.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Just started my yearly (re)reading of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy this morning. 

After that, will probably move onto my yearly reading of Asimov's Foundation series. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on July 18, 2012, 01:45:59 PM
^Thanks. I am trying to decide whether to read Titanicus or Eisenhorn next.

And if you liked Titanicus you will like Priests of Mars, I think. It's just been released.

Yeah, Priest of Mars sounds like a win.

Eisenhorn or Titanicus? Hmmm.

Titanicus is not terribly accessible (deliberately so). I'd go with Eisenhorn. It's freaking awesome. I was bummed when it ended. It could have gone on forever.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

^Between Titanicus and Eisenhorn?  Its a no brainer.  I think I've told Gusington to read it at least 5 times over a period of just as many years.  I'm tired of being ignored.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bob48 on July 18, 2012, 01:24:57 PM
They were supposed to be one of the 'First Founding' Legions, if my 40K memory serves me right, and provided the cadre for several other chapters after the Heresy.

The Iron Hands are one of the first 20 twenty chapters and their Primarch, Ferus Manus, was murdered by his brother Primarch Fulgrim during the opening phase of the Horus Heresy.  Most of the Iron Hands were slaughtered at the Isstvan Drop Site Massacre. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Eisenhorn it is! SoM loves it too IIRC. And that means I can crack open all the DoW II PC games too. I will save Titanicus and Priests of Mars for a special occasion.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

is eisenhorn the book about the inquisition - there is a 'trilogy' omnibus on amazon and i have a gift voucher to spend - just want to make sure ive got the right book