What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

TheCommandTent

Almost done with World War Z that I got as an early Christmas present.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^Loved that book, quick read.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Am halfway through The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson.  It's been a very good read so far. 

It's a standalone novel in his Mistborn universe, taking place a few centuries after the events of the original trilogy.  Technology has advanced to roughly the Victorian age, with railroads, skyscrapers, and electricity becoming common.  Some of the action takes place out in "the Roughs", which is that world's equivalent to the American "Wild West" -- an aspect I'm finding to be surprisingly interesting. 

I have to admit, it's refreshing to read a novel taking place in a fantasy universe where said universe *doesn't* stay locked in medieval stasis.  Not that I don't also enjoy that as well, but it's nice to see a fantasy series not always follow that particular trope. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

Did you read the first three Mistborn books? How were they?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 25, 2012, 07:07:14 AM
Did you read the first three Mistborn books? How were they?
Yes, I have read the original trilogy.  (It's why I was interested in checking out Alloy of Law in the first place.)  It's very, very good...but with a couple caveats. 

First off, the pacing is wildly uneven at times.  You'll go through chapters where absolutely nothing seems to happen -- and/or worse, doesn't seem to even add to the story (although it can later turn out they included scenes that were *very* relevant in an unexpected way).  On the flip side, you'll have chapters where there's suddenly so much going on (action scenes, revelations/answers, etc.) and hitting you all at once, that you're left reeling. 

The other main thing to mention is that while Sanderson writes damn good fantasy, he loves deconstructing the genre at the same time.  In his books, you'll see a lot of tropes common to fantasy literature being constantly lampshaded, subverted, inverted, and/or flat-out averted...all while still being played straight!  (I realize that sentence probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but you'll see what I mean if you read the books.)  It's a fairly ingenious storytelling method, especially as it helps keep the reader guessing, but it's not going to appeal to everyone. 

All that being said, however, I still strongly recommend the trilogy.  While the books feel like they're really dragging sometimes, and the near-constant deconstruction of fantasy stories (especially in-universe) can be a turn-off for some folks, the payoff in the end is HUGE -- absolutely, enormously, epically HUGE.  The HSQ at the end of the first book is big, and the HSQ at the end of each subsequent book is an order of magnitude bigger than the one preceding it. 

The trilogy's uneven pacing (especially the slower parts) often made me wonder if the ending was worth it. 

It is. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

+1 to all of this, i loved the first two and was half way thru the 3rd when i left it on a plane, for 6 months i couldnt be bothered to replace it, some of it is hard work, but bought it again and started from the beginning - great book, spectacular unseen ending

just finished the Eisenhorn trilogy - as you guys said, great, great read, sorry to see it go, looking now for something to replace it - might turn to the boold angels

Shelldrake

Just started Red Inferno 1945 by Robert Conroy. So far an enjoyable alternate history read along the lines of Fox on the Rhine.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Barthheart

Just finished re-reading The Hobbit in prep for seeing the movie.
It's been more than 30 years since I read it last.  :o

besilarius

Anthony Price wrote a series of spy novels back during the Cold War, and I'm reading them again.
He wrote contemporaneously with Le Carre, so his books never made the splash of Le Carre.
However, I like them better.  The people are more human, the problems are not so opaque and far more understandable (once the crew at R&D have pieced the plots together), and the author and the main character are fascinated by historical conundrums. 
This is a weakness that the Soviets sometimes build into thier plans, but you can't tell if it is just a quirk, or a real plot device.  Since I love historical minutia, it feeds into my interests.
If you're curious about a Cold War spy novel that is good, try October Men, War Games, or Other Paths to Glory.  My favorites in the series.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Thanks Martok and Geek. I'll ad them to my wishlist. I'm just getting ready to start Charles Stross' 'the Laundry Files' series.

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 25, 2012, 10:05:45 AM
just finished the Eisenhorn trilogy - as you guys said, great, great read, sorry to see it go, looking now for something to replace it - might turn to the boold angels

I just finished 'Raveno'r. It's a good counterpoint to 'Eisenhorn'. You may want to give it a go. I'm really looking forward to the next series, 'Eisenhorn vs Ravenor', IIRC.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Hiimori

Currently visiting my parents, sister, niece and nephew for Christmas... the perfect opportunity for finishing "The Primarchs", a WH40k Horus Heresy anthology featuring 4 novellas about the Primarchs Fulgrim, Ferrus Manus, Lion El'Johnson and Alpharius (with Omegon, of course ;)).

I finished Fulgrim's story "The Reflection Crack'd" some weeks ago (the novella picks up where the novel "Fulgrim" ended and shows much of the Emperor's Children's obsession with perversion... uhm... I mean... perfection), and now I'm reading "Feat of Iron" about Ferrus Manus and his Iron Hands Legion. Ferrus and the Iron Hands are not among my most favorite Primarchs or legions, so I'm not too deeply involved into their fate, but so far, the novella is cool nevertheless.

Lion and his Dark Angels got much screen time in the Horus Heresy novels so far, but it will be interesting to read and learn more about Alpharius and his sneaky Alpha Legion.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

bob48

Just started 'Exit Rommel - The Tunisian Campaign 1942-43'. This is another Stackpole book, my collection of which is growing quite nicely.

Since I got the Dawn of War package in the Steam Sale, my old passion for WH40K has been somewhat revivied, so I may have to look at some of the books that you fella's have been going on about!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck.  I got it for Christmas and it's actually a pretty good scifi book.