Gollum game. About Gollum. For 20 hours. Not a joke.

Started by JasonPratt, August 24, 2020, 06:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

......I ..... uh........ I remember hearing about this around the start of the year, and the dev saying they're following the books not the film trilogy. But I mean, this is obviously the film trilogy artstyle and vocal-Serkis style, right?

Theoretically this has a market? It's made by adventure-game designer Daedelic, who has at least a two-game contract with the Tolkien estate, the second of which won't be Gollum.

Assuming for purposes of argument I'm not going to care about this game -- I can't imagine wanting to play as Smeagol/Gollum -- who would the second game be built on? I'm hoping it's the Blue Wizard Brothers!  :D (There's no evidence for this at all, I'm just thinking about potential.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Pallando and....I forget the other ones name off the top of my head.  And were they brothers?

The Wiki provides:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_(Middle-earth)

The other is Alatar.  And I did not see that they were brothers, although they were both clothed in sea blue.  I did, however, learn that they had names in Middle Earth: Morinehtar and Romestamo (without several accents, grave and ague).
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

I feel sure I've seen them referred to as brothers, in at least one adaptation (which admittedly doesn't count as primary canon), although I can't recall offhand which one. The extended edition of the first Hobbit film perhaps, when Gandalf can't remember their names when going through the list. Maybe some sidenote lore of Shadow of Mordor/War, where one of Sauron's chief lackeys impressed him by bringing their heads. I'm old and it's late. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

I found Gollum's whole story very fishy.  :2funny:  Can't imagine what kind of game it would make.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

smittyohio

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 24, 2020, 09:33:17 PM
I found Gollum's whole story very fishy.  :2funny:  Can't imagine what kind of game it would make.  :o

It would be preeeeeeeesious.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

IICptMillerII

What the hell?

Yeah, uh... looking forward to see how this game justifies its own existence. I love Lord of the Rings, but yikes...

Sir Slash

At 10,000 EP you upgrade that 'Rock' to a 'Rock +1'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Just replace the names on some of the standard stats for any other RPG and you're in good shape.

HP remains HP.  GP becomes "Fishses".  XP becomes "Precious Points".  And your skill trees are "Sneaking", "Throttling", and "Wheedling".

But I get where the epic scope of the quests in this RPG might seem underwhelming.  Which is kind of curious, because while Tolkien's heroes were on an epic quest, many of his protagonists were profoundly average, and remained that way throughout the book. 

[Spoiler Alert]

I mean, Frodo was ultimately too weak to destroy the ring himself, but it was his pity for Gollum that ultimately proved Sauron's undoing.  Tolkien didn't just choose that ending because he ran out of pages to write.

[/Spoiler Alert]

Sir Slash

So you would get EP for, 'Master-Groveling'? That could work. Like of like what I used to do at work.

FarAway Sooner

Clearly, "Employment Sims" are a neglected field in game development!  I can only wonder why...    ;D