Vietnam's General Vo Nguyen Giap dies

Started by BanzaiCat, October 04, 2013, 09:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

For the record, I hold the record on ninjaing the same thread six times.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Hmm...I never knew we celebrated men who were directly responsible for the death for thousands of Americans. 

GDS_Starfury

do I like him, no.
but I can respect the fact that the guy re-wrote the book on asymmetrical warfare.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on October 04, 2013, 04:32:53 PM
Hmm...I never knew we celebrated men who were directly responsible for the death for thousands of Americans.

For the record, I thought my reaction was clearly not a celebration.

Hannah Montana was for Mirth.

For Giap I'd have to think of something else. Maybe Elvis Costello's Tramp the Dirt Down or something. That would be a nice irony.

Gusington

It's the same thing as studying Japanese or German tactics from WWII. Study them from a technical standpoint, etc. Doesn't mean we're joining the Vietnamese Army.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 04, 2013, 04:38:30 PM
I can respect the fact that the guy re-wrote the book on asymmetrical warfare.

The notion that his asymmetrical warfare was alone responsible for the outcome of Vietnam is to ignore major aspects of media, political, and military handicaps self imposed upon American forces that were a much more direct impact to the long term outcome of the conflict.

This is not to say that his theories are not worth study or consideration.  It is prudent to study them.  They were in many ways effective and also had shortfalls but they do give insight to the current and future implementations of asymmetrical warfare. 

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on October 04, 2013, 04:47:06 PM
It's the same thing as studying Japanese or German tactics from WWII. Study them from a technical standpoint, etc. Doesn't mean we're joining the Vietnamese Army.

No I understand Gus.  I'm just a little bit more than pissed off with the whole WW2 Memorial and Normandy Beach cemetery shutdowns and disrespect shown to those Veterans for no reason other than political theater.  Carry on Gentlemen.  My annoyance is with something else entirely.  Sorry.

Gusington

No problem. I know where you're coming from.

Additionally vets in my family were never able to see one time enemies as anything but enemies...Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, etc.

I know that's not exactly where you're coming from but, well...it's a sensitive subject.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

It pleases me that we can mix a Hannah Montana reference into a thread on General Giap.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

It flowed naturally. Good job by everyone involved.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on October 04, 2013, 05:41:01 PM
It pleases me that we can mix a Hannah Montana reference into a thread on General Giap.

And now that she's grow up we can discuss her boobs.

Frankly, she should stick to her boobs - and keep those in private. Her public performance as both a singer and a sex object are both failures.

But at least we've covered the Grogheads basics now.

Mr. Bigglesworth

In a tweet, Senator McCain described Gen Giap as "a brilliant military strategist who once told me that we were an honourable enemy".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24402278
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 04, 2013, 06:53:49 PM
In a tweet, Senator McCain described Gen Giap as "a brilliant military strategist who once told me that we were an honourable enemy".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24402278

Okay. That's something coming from McCain.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus