Bro has an Android pad, and wants WW2 grand strat or Panzer General

Started by JasonPratt, December 04, 2014, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

He's pretty much screwed, right?  :-\

IPad has a LOTTTTT more such things, and he talks about being okay about putting them on his wife's iPad, but I'm pretty sure that's just wishful thinking.  >:D

He and I both realize of course that WW2 grand strategy is very different (usually) from Panzer General; although the last mobile game he played was Slitherine's Commander version of European WW2 (on his Playstation Portable, which he mainly got to play Madden football while on trips), and that was actually rather like PG on a larger scale.

He was a big fan of Tiller's Campaign series, and I know JT has been releasing Android versions of some of his squad battle series, but not East Front 2, West Front or Rising Sun, right? I don't recall hearing that yet, though I hope it's coming someday.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MikeGER

the general leaning of Slitherine about Android game development/ports is:

- Android is more spread (80% of the devices), but those users tend to play free games/puzzles (with adds, or micropayment buffs) like Angry Birds, Candy Crush 'n such, while the Apple-crowd actually buys applications
- The Android-OS is splintered in many versions, and there is lot of different hardware too, so development for Android is 10 times more expensive then for IOS
- and there is also piracy

so i was told, when i bug them once a year ;) ...about more Android stuff, please

JasonPratt

Oh, I understand the reasoning for why iOS has a lot more to offer along this line.

Just feeling kind of desperate, that's all. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

^^ We don't look much alike, and he's a banker (special ops director, sort of), but we sound alike and he's the one who taught me wargaming long, long ago.

Gen,

Thanks -- it looks a bit wonky for Android but I'll give it a shot!

spelk

You can take a look at these collections I've authored

Wargames worth considering
http://playboard.me/android/channels/51e59c134368c39d50000049

Strategy games worth considering
http://playboard.me/android/channels/51e69f2c0ddb63e54600250a

There may be some Grand Strategy-ish titles in there. 

I jumped ship from iOS to Android, mainly because the chit shuffling wargames on the iOS platform a few years back were almost non existant. Whereas homebrew style developers such as Joni Nuutinen and DK Simulations were knocking out quality hex and chit wargames. iOS has come on in terms of what is on offer, mainly down to the likes of Shenandoah etc. But still, with all its flaws, I personally find the 'Droid a preferable wargame platform.

JasonPratt

Thanks, Spelk! He was quite excited about the Open Panzer game (i.e. Panzer General 2 port), and last I heard was going to try that one. Haven't heard back yet.

JasonPratt

Update: Open Panzer-droid didn't work on the pad,  :'(

Apparently it does on iPad, but indications are it doesn't work consistently still. He might try Panzer Corps.